2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wonderful news, My wife is thrilled< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 4:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest son (age 21) just phoned to let us know he's taking a three day road trip through Yellowstone with - get this - a girl.  Seems he's been "messing around" with the gal for a couple of months now although this is the first we've heard of it.  His mom is elated as this is the first girl he's had any kind of relationship with although he's a good looking guy. Always been a bit shy around the opposite gender though. As for me. I'll reserve judgement for a while.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way to go Jerboy!

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pictures?
 Post Number: 4
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is she a forum member?
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 6:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mother would have been horrified — even when I was 21. Hope your son has a good time.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 13 2013, 3:15 pm)
My mother would have been horrified — even when I was 21. Hope your son has a good time.

I was probably around 20 and in the Army before my Mom got around to asking about sex and stuff.

I said, "Well, remember when I was 16 and our neighbor's 15 year old daughter kept hanging around..."

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 7
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What does she think of kilts and brussels sprouts?
 Post Number: 8
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 13 2013, 3:15 pm)

I remember being totally shocked when we showed up at my parents' house a few days before our wedding, and Mom asked if we wanted one room or two.  

I don't know what I imagined she thought.  Not only were we 31 and 39, but we'd courted through a series of long weekends and holiday visits, since we lived in different cities.  Somehow I still expected her to be shocked that we might be sleeping together :p

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Congrats Jer !!

For both the of facts that your son, now has a friend who is a girl, but more importantly that he's taking her on trip to Yellowstone.

You raised him right, now sit back and enjoy the ride !

(FWIW, my 27 yr old daughter just got back from a 1 week trip to the Olympic NP with her "boy friend".  Three months ago they went to the Grand Canyon. Last year, they went to Yosemite/ Big Sur, and Yellowstone twice.  Despite the occasional complaints about me taking her on my 2 week Wind's trips when she was only 4- 9 yrs old, something must have rubbed off.)

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ May 14 2013, 12:35 am)
.  Despite the occasional complaints about me taking her on my 2 week Wind's trips when she was only 4- 9 yrs old, something must have rubbed off.)

I hear you, SWT.  I remember my kids whining and complaining about almost everything on some of our early bping trips - the food, the weather, too far, too cold, too boring, too tired. But like you say,  something must of have took.  They're all really into hiking, bping and the outdoors.  Very gratifying in many ways.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My daughter is 27, in a relationship, but unmarried until October.
My son is 25 and no girlfriend at the moment.
I'm 57 and no freakin' grand children...anyone got a spare kid they will sell or trade...
I want a grandkid...sighs...

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 12
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KaiWinters @ May 14 2013, 11:30 pm)
I'm 57 and no freakin' grand children...anyone got a spare kid they will sell or trade...

You better find something else to occupy your future, just in case!  My mom's kids are 37 and 31, and she's still waiting for grandchildren!  (won't get any from me, unless the dogs count!)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 13
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very fun, HJ.  I agree, just sit back and enjoy it.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KaiWinters @ May 14 2013, 8:30 pm)

Be patient.  

My husband is 58 and since our oldest son is 15, we had better have a long wait for grandkids!

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KaiWinters @ May 14 2013, 10:30 pm)

Depending on the day, I have a 4y/o and a 2y/o I'll give ya.
 Post Number: 16
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 60 with a 12-year old son. I put him in figure skating at age three, so he is fairly decent, just started landing triples. The reason?
I didn't want him to smell like hockey. Just kidding.....

In figure skating the ratio of girls to boys is somewhat north of 50:1. From a parental perspective the figure skating "village" produces young lady skaters that don't smoke, drink, do drugs or have tattoos. They are physically fit and typically get good grades in school.

Pretty soon he should come to an understanding that he's the fox in the hen house. That's the plan.
 Post Number: 17
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In 2 weeks I will have been married 20 years to my first wife (gotta me optimistic).  We have 2 children: a girl 17 and a boy 16.  I think things are starting to get serious between us. :p

Anyway, congrats to your son Jer....nothing like love in the spring.

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ May 16 2013, 12:07 am)
Anyway, congrats to your son Jer....nothing like love in the spring.

Young love is fraught with danger.  I'm not expecting anything of this one way or another.  We'll just let the game of life play out and see what happens.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ May 15 2013, 10:00 pm)
In figure skating the ratio of girls to boys is somewhat north of 50:1.

And from what I've seen, a lot of those "boys" aren't interested in girls...
 Post Number: 20
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can you say "GRANDPA"?
 Post Number: 21
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And from what I've seen, a lot of those "boys" aren't interested in girls...

That makes the odds even better!
 Post Number: 22
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought you were going to say you had a grandkid on the way...   :D  

I married a shy guy - I was the first (and last! LOL) girl he dated.  I think he was 25 when we started dating, 28 when we married.

Shy guys are awesome

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 23
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 13 2013, 6:15 pm)

I'll bet you aren't kidding.

My mom was a Christian school principal. One random afternoon she asked me if my boyfriend and I were sleeping together. (We had been dating for more than a year and I was 18)....so I told her the truth, because I was a good kid, or maybe just naive....and she kicked me out of the house.

Needless to say, she never asked my younger brother the same question...because she didn't want to know.

Of course I plan to be a whole lot more like the OP about it.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
22 replies since May 13 2013, 4:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wonderful news
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions