2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hocking Hills, OHIO, Just qurious< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 9:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good Morning All,   We are off to South Eastern OHIO.
Hocking Hill area, near Logan Ohio.  We have been to this area several times as our son attended Hocking College in Nelsonville.  We have a group going down from Grand Rapids MI for three days. Lower MI is a boring place as far as things that can kill you in the woods. (Bears).

Besides Copperheads, Feral Pigs, tics and mosquitos any other concerns to pass along to the group. Some are newbies.   Thanks for your help

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Random gunshots, loud ATVs, broken beer bottles and country music blasted for all to enjoy. I know this from experience by hanging out with my brother and his friends who live in Logan. Don't worry, I'm half kidding.

You may also run into some natural oil seeps and wildcat dumps and maybe some land subsidence due to fracking and drilling. As far as I know, there's no more old growth but the secondary and tiertary growth have filled in nicely.

All-in-all it's a relatively beautiful place. You should have a fun time. I haven't done any backpacking in the area so I can't give much advice there.

When you get back, please post a Trip Report and tell us that the negative things I've mentioned are not true.

I'll be in Logan Thanksgiving or Christmas to be with family. Maybe I'll have time for a day hike in the area.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks DD,
This one is not a true BP adventure as we will base camped at Hocking Hill SP and day hiking.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In that case, you'll only encounter loud country music, Harleys blasting through,  and maybe a broken beer bottle or two. :)

Seriously, love Hocking Hills.... away from the roads.  It is a beautiful place.

Enjoy it!
 Post Number: 5
GaliWalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ May 15 2013, 10:58 am)
As far as I know, there's no more old growth but the secondary and tiertary growth have filled in nicely.

The gorge between the Old Man's Cave complex and Cedar Falls has some huge hemlocks (I think they are old growth). Reputedly, the tallest tree in Ohio, a 149ft hemlock, lives there.

I've got quite a few reports on Hocking Hills, a favorite, National Park worthy spot (in my opinion) of mine. Here's the latest:
Snow and ice at Hocking Hills.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
Photos: http://galiwalker.zenfolio.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I wont worry about any Copperheads or Ferrel Pigs, just Rednecks and country music.  We were at Old Mans Cave in March one year, beautiful ice formations.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Cmazzac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 3:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(zipposdad @ May 15 2013, 8:23 pm)
Well I wont worry about any Copperheads or Ferrel Pigs, just Rednecks and country music.  We were at Old Mans Cave in March one year, beautiful ice formations.

My experience is quite the opposite, we had more of a problem with college age students showing up a couple spots down from us and playing their guitars while singing with frequent obnoxious random screaming all night long....  I thought my dog was going to have a heart attack.  I got about an hour of sleep then decided heck with it and just got up and took my dog on a walk around 430 to get him away from them.  It's too bad you'll miss the night skies of winter though, its so clear out there at night it's mind blowing.
6 replies since May 15 2013, 9:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hocking Hills, OHIO
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions