2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Burgers and Fries< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now, I want all of you vegans to stay out of this conversation and just leave us alone.  We omnivores know all about the horrors of eating meat, and the health risks of eating fries… and we chose to do so anyway.

A ‘Five Guys : Burgers and Fries’ recently opened nearby.  I have become rather fond of that place.
The burgers are awesome and the fries are even awesomer.  Fresh cut fries made from unpeeled potatoes, yum.
And, all the peanuts you can eat while you wait for your order.  What is not to love?

I also have a ‘Culver’s’ nearby.  GREAT burgers.  Something special about the meat they use.  And that simple little trick of buttering the bun before they build your burger really adds to your gastronomical pleasure. However, the fries here totally suc.

‘In –N-Out Burger’:  Very good burgers and fries.  Don’t forget to ask for the hot peppers when you pick your order up…those little yellow things really should have a hazardous substance label on them (more than a little HOT)…if you can’t handle them, just send them to me for proper ‘disposal’.

How do your local burger joints line up ?

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Brothers Bar in Denver makes some good ass burgers. Plus it's right next to REI so there you go. There's also a Vitamin Cottage next door so the lame vegans can get some tofu garbage.
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ May 15 2013, 4:01 pm)
A ‘Five Guys : Burgers and Fries’ recently opened nearby.  I have become rather fond of that place.
The burgers are awesome and the fries are even awesomer.  Fresh cut fries made from unpeeled potatoes, yum.
And, all the peanuts you can eat while you wait for your order.  What is not to love?

And people say that nothing good ever comes out of DC.... :p

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Syracuse has a couple of the national chains (5 Guys, Red Robin, etc.). They're OK.

Rochester (NY), on the other hand, seems to have a small burger joint every mile. You could vacation there.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've gotten away from burger chains and have been sampling high end burgers at restaurants. So, I've been to Maynards, Sullivans and Wilcos. The first two are steak restaurants and the 3rd is a new pub at the main gate of campus. The prices range from 10 to 18 dollars. By far Wilco is best. They use local range raised beef and grind it on site. I've never had such unique tasting beef.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 6
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do like 5 Guys.  For chains I also like Cheeburger Cheeburger.  Good burgers and shakes.
It seems like little boutique burger joints are popping up all over the DC area.  One of our faves is in Bethesda.  It's called Kraze Burger.  It might have Korean affiliations but I am not sure.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have a Jack and Grill nearby

Big burgers....you'll see some big folks eating there too.

Fries are good, but the onion rings are just perfect

They also have a 7 lb breakfast burrito (5 lbs potatoes, a dozen eggs, 1/2 lb ham, 1/2 lb cheese, onions and red or green chilli)

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ May 15 2013, 4:28 pm)
I do like 5 Guys.  For chains I also like Cheeburger Cheeburger.  Good burgers and shakes.

When I take the boys out for burgers it is always a toss up between Five Guys and Cheeburger Cheeburger.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We don't have any places like those. And I'm not sure about a burger-and-fries joint, but there are some "Crazy Woman" places east slope of the Bighorns. Crazy Woman Saloon might serve burgers, but I don't know.

I'm just trying to track down the Crazy Woman. What's burgers got to do with anything? ???

Oh yeah, Taco Johns originated in Wyoming. But I guess what we need is Crazy Woman Jackalope Tacos to put us in the fast food hall of fame.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Dubois The Bistro has a great burger and the legendary Cowboy Cafe isn't far behind IMO.

In Jackson I miss Billy Burger immensely. The folks that owned/operated the Cadillac Grille have a new place coming soon in the old 43 North location on Cache at the base of Snowking. I hope they resurrect Billy Burger Big time. I've probably had 50 great burgers at the Silver Dollar in the Wort over the last year. The Brew Pubs Burgers...are not worth it IMO.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
JasonT2000 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5 Guys moved in here in Chicagoland 2 years ago and they have been a go-to place for me. I love the new Coke machines also that let you mix and match soda flavors.

Their fries with some malt vinegar = yum!

That said. My new favorite place for gourmet burgers is Smashburger.  Now that's good eats.
 Post Number: 12
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Off to the Burger Miester for dinner tonight.  Second Son asked for it as it's his 14th birthday.  Local, grass-fed beef, great fires, and shakes that generally make me regret having tackled one.  I think I'll just have some of the boys' shakes and spare myself!  (Note that the shakes are not bad--they are just so rich they make me a little sick).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad the closest five guys I know of is 50 miles away. Those are good burgers. I want good burgers I fire up the grill.
 Post Number: 14
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A great bacon burger at a local Irish pub last night - washed down with a couple pints of Guinness.

And no, I didn't drive, my 17 y/o was the DD.
 Post Number: 15
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got a GOOD meat packing house about 7 miles away that grinds the best beef I've ever had.  My dad has a well seasoned gas grill that I'm a wizard with.  Fried potatoes are easy.  So, the best burger and fries are usually at dad's house.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 16
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly, I still think McDonald's has awesome fries, but the rest of their food pretty much sucks.

Only been to Five Guys once, and nothing sticks out good or bad, but they are pretty popular around here.  Another boutique burger joint in North Chicagoland is Tom & Eddies - those are pretty good, and should be for the price!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 17
Freeflow Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here in Charlotte, NC I've got a Five Guys and a Smashburger within 1 mile of my neighborhood. I love them both, but we have a new local chain called BT's Burgers...my new favorite

--------------
"Did you pack the Bourbon?"
 Post Number: 18
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agh, now I'm craving a good burger and fries!!

RD have you had the cajun fries from Five Guys?  Really good. I get the Chi Chi's queso cheese sauce cups from Krogers, heat it up a bit and dip away.

My favorite burger so far is the Whiskey River BBQ Burger from Red Robin. It has BBQ sauce, cheese and onion straws (no mayo, yuck) and I get the sweet potato fries. As the commercial says, YUM! Especially with a Guinness.

Smashburger is also good, I like their burger better than 5 guys, but like 5 guys fries better. We recently got Ohio's first Jack in the Box. Pretty good but like In and Out burger better. I need to get out West.

Huh, I guess I'm picky.
 Post Number: 19
mjeck Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Five Guys. We have two within reasonable driving distance, one next to a Cabela's. The other is near a golf store (my other addictions). I also like Red Robin because I can get a bison burger there. There was also a place I visited a few years ago in Idaho Springs CO that served bison burgers too. And there's a place called Lindburgers in Lake Worth FL that's pretty good. Like Red Robin, they serve a variety of burgers. Of course, I think I make the best bison, venison, or elk burgers on my grill, flavored with mesquite chips.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No Smashburger in CA that I'm aware of.  I did eat at one in CO last summer, VERY GOOD!
 Post Number: 21
twalsh968 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOVE Culver's!!!
And, 5 Guys is quite good, but you better love fries!!!
We also have a Backyard Burgers near here and it is probably my 2nd favorite.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 16 2013, 10:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ May 15 2013, 4:23 pm)
Rochester (NY), on the other hand, seems to have a small burger joint every mile. You could vacation there.

I grew up outside of Rochester and would often head into town to Country Sweet for some wings or to Nick Tahou's for a garbage plate. Tough to imagine that the town is now burger oriented.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know we love Culver's here (founded just up the road from us, anyway, it's about as local as a  chain gets).  I think we go about 3x a month.  I suspect we will be there after tomorrow's hike.  Their custard is the bomb (oh, the turtle sundae!).

red dog, are they promoting the "Pub Burger" at the Culver's in Tucson?  If you haven't had one you should.  They are amazeballs!!

When I lived in Tucson we had a place just outside the univeristy called Kippy's that had the best burgers and shakes.  Alas, they closed up shop while I was still there.

When we were in Seattle we had burgers at Red Mill, that was pretty yummy.  Just down the street from my hubby's aunt.  Good place!

We don't have a 5 Guys here, but my BIL raves about it.  Maybe we'll hit that up when we are back in the DC area in July.

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 24
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(peeb @ May 17 2013, 10:18 am)
You know we love Culver's here (founded just up the road from us, anyway, it's about as local as a  chain gets).  I think we go about 3x a month.  I suspect we will be there after tomorrow's hike.  Their custard is the bomb (oh, the turtle sundae!).

red dog, are they promoting the "Pub Burger" at the Culver's in Tucson?  If you haven't had one you should.  They are amazeballs!!

When I lived in Tucson we had a place just outside the univeristy called Kippy's that had the best burgers and shakes.  Alas, they closed up shop while I was still there.

When we were in Seattle we had burgers at Red Mill, that was pretty yummy.  Just down the street from my hubby's aunt.  Good place!

We don't have a 5 Guys here, but my BIL raves about it.  Maybe we'll hit that up when we are back in the DC area in July.

On Tuesday, most Culver's in IL, WI and IN are donating 10% to Honor Flight.  I'm willing to break my diet for a good cause :)

Was wondering about that pub burger, guess I'll have to try it!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 25
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of the many things I don't understand about native Californians (as opposed to emigrant pikers like me) is their love for In-n-Out burgers. Yeah, they have great buns, fries, and they'll put on chilli if you ask, but isn't a burger supposed to be about the meat? McDonalds burgers have much better meat than the greasy slice of cardboard they put on In-n-Out burgers.

There, I've just incurred the wrath of the Californians on the board because of their unreasonable emotional tie to In-n-Out. Believe me, I've tried to like those burgers, but they are actually just bad. You've all been hexed!

A burger should be about the meat, which is why you usually can't get a decent burger at a chain. The patty should be at least 3/4" thick, dark pink in the middle, with juice running uncontrollably down your arm. Otherwise you are losing most of the flavor. These are typically only found at independent proprietors.

If you ever drive onto the beach at Oceano, stop in at Beach Burger for a juicy, delicious burger and a Figueroa Mountain beer.
 Post Number: 26
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not a big fan of In and Out either...

My husband makes the best burgers in the world.  Besides that I like Wendy's.  

Haven't tried 5 Guys yet.  

You can keep your McDonalds burgers and fries!  Both are terrible :p

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: May 17 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ May 17 2013, 8:22 am)
One of the many things I don't understand about native Californians (as opposed to emigrant pikers like me) is their love for In-n-Out burgers. Yeah, they have great buns, fries, and they'll put on chilli if you ask, but isn't a burger supposed to be about the meat? McDonalds burgers have much better meat than the greasy slice of cardboard they put on In-n-Out burgers.

There, I've just incurred the wrath of the Californians on the board because of their unreasonable emotional tie to In-n-Out. Believe me, I've tried to like those burgers, but they are actually just bad. You've all been hexed!

A burger should be about the meat, which is why you usually can't get a decent burger at a chain. The patty should be at least 3/4" thick, dark pink in the middle, with juice running uncontrollably down your arm. Otherwise you are losing most of the flavor. These are typically only found at independent proprietors.

If you ever drive onto the beach at Oceano, stop in at Beach Burger for a juicy, delicious burger and a Figueroa Mountain beer.

3rd generation Californian here,
I agree with you regarding In-N-Out - Over rated!
 Post Number: 28
Hilldancer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must be missing something about Culver's, every time I've eaten there I have been less than impressed.  ???

Five Guys, on the other hand...
 Post Number: 29
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey red dog, don't forget Blake's Lotaburger, with the green chile sauce!

Among chains common in AZ, I like In-N-Out, Whataburger, Culvers, and Sonic.  At home, I stick to the local pub, Shakey Jake's.
28 replies since May 15 2013, 4:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Burgers and Fries
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions