2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Curse yoh, How rude are you?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 7:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Marchex Report

Here in Maryland, we once again can't come in #1 in anything, even cursing and general rudeness.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fiddlesticks
 Post Number: 3
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm fairly distrustful of these results.

I currently live in Kansas, and there is absolutely no way Kansans are in the "least courteous" category. Kansans are the most courteous of any of the several states we've lived in.

I used to live in Washington, and I didn't notice them swearing any less than anywhere else I've lived.
 Post Number: 4
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WTF???

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think the Marchex token "research" means anything at all — except perhaps some obscure company is seeking publicity with dubious methods. I see no reason to take the study seriously.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, men curse more than women, Duh.  Morning calls were more likely to produce cursing.  If those were work calls, I can see that.  Same with longer calls more likely to cause cursing.  No info on how much of that was involved with laughter vs something went awry.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Figures: I hate !@#$ing Buckeyes.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 11:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey DC, I resemble that remark  :D

Who woulda thunk, Ohioans swear like sailors!!
 Post Number: 9
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If we all knew how much government grant money was spent on this study we would all probably use a few choice words and phrases. ???

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 10
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So Louisiana is #4 in both being courteous AND cursing?  I guess that means that I could politely curse you out. :laugh:

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 11
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

duplicate post

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 12
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ May 19 2013, 1:36 am)
So Louisiana is #4 in both being courteous AND cursing?  I guess that means that I could politely curse you out. :laugh:

Down south y'all do that all that time.  It's a quaint and endearing habit you have.   :D
 Post Number: 13
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ May 18 2013, 9:33 am)
I'm fairly distrustful of these results.

Dude, I found this report on the internet.   :D
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 6:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 18 2013, 10:35 am)
I don't think the Marchex token "research" means anything at all — except perhaps some obscure company is seeking publicity with dubious methods. I see no reason to take the study seriously.

Actually, if you use the interwebs for much of anything you consume a significant volume of Marchex data in your daily life whether you know it or not.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm from NJ.  **** yeah! We ******** know how to curse like it ******-******* should be ******* done!

And we're ******* nice about it.
 Post Number: 16
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ May 19 2013, 4:32 am)

(CajunHiker @ May 19 2013, 1:36 am)

Down south y'all do that all that time.  It's a quaint and endearing habit you have.   :D

:laugh:  

Sometimes people don't even know they're being cursed out.

:laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 17
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ May 19 2013, 4:37 am)

(TravisNWood @ May 18 2013, 10:35 am)

Actually, if you use the interwebs for much of anything you consume a significant volume of Marchex data in your daily life whether you know it or not.

How can I "consume data" that I don't even believe? You mean like Google, Marchex is collecting information on web traffic from my IP address?

That still would not give them credibility on a "study" of this sort, even if they were doing that. If even Google knows my interests, it still does a crappy job of proving that when I do a web search.

Marchex got its start by buying up domain names and selling them at inflated prices. That hardly makes them a credible authority on social psychology.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 18
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There isn't a lot of credible authority on any kind of psychology. Some of it is interesting to think about.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 19
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 19 2013, 10:30 am)
There isn't a lot of credible authority on any kind of psychology. Some of it is interesting to think about.

True enough. And there is even less credibility in the attempt to arrive at a formula for personality through data processing. Man is not a machine.

Why would anyone assume in the first place that variables such as "rudeness" and "courtesy" conform to state lines?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 20
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 19 2013, 12:43 pm)

True enough. And there is even less credibility in the attempt to arrive at a formula for personality through data processing. Man is not a machine.

Why would anyone assume in the first place that variables such as "rudeness" and "courtesy" conform to state lines?

I think just looking at where the people who have posted to this thread live proves that to be false.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 21
shaunkad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well heck they looked at phone calls to business I would cuss a lot at them to  if they screw up especially. Now if I want, need something, or am asked something as long as you are not trying to sell me something I can be as sweet as pie.
 Post Number: 22
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ May 19 2013, 11:10 am)

(TravisNWood @ May 19 2013, 12:43 pm)

I think just looking at where the people who have posted to this thread live proves that to be false.   :laugh:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I come from a state that is "Like no Place on Earth." So I'm either an alien from outer space or a character in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

Either way, how dare Marchex think I'm rude as a "typical Wyomingite"?  :angry:

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 23
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I couldn’t help but notice that Maryland is number 2 in cursing and number 3 in courtesy
Hum…
So JimInMD, help me understand this.  
Do you say something like “Please put your ****ing hands behind your back !”

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 24
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One person's curse is often another person's fantasy.
 Post Number: 25
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 6:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not bothering to read the source of the report as to how it was conducted, I have doubts it was done wisely.  I would speculate that generally as goes a Bell Curve:

Men in prison or jails curse even more than GI recruits in boot camp.   Otherwise military personnel curse more than teenage males.   Teenage males curse more than men.   Men curse more than women.   Aetheist curse more than Christians.  Less educated classes curse more than college degreed.  Blue collar workers curse more than professional white collar workers.  Workers in workplaces with few or no women curse much more than mixed gender workplaces.  Criminals and perverts curse more than those with moral conscience.  One is more likely to hear cursing sitting on a bar stool than at a family restaurant.  One is least likely to hear cursing Sunday sitting in a pew.  

Where is one likely to hear the most cursing?  Probably at a race track below the race results board.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
24 replies since May 18 2013, 7:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Curse yoh
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions