2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trail Days Hikers Parade interrupted, by car< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic....7-43-57

60 injured

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roger was hoping to avoid Damascus during this week.  He is in the area, hiking the AT, so I hope he managed to not be there.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really think that by say age 65 drivers need to be tested EVERY year.I'm no physiologist so maybe a different age, I don't know.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a 61 yr old myself, I would not mind if it was annual testing at 60, but I think it would be of doubtful use until 65-70.  Definitely by 70, we need to test every driver every yr.  I would be willing to say that most drivers over 75 are not very good drivers, but get by on being slow, cautious, and only using familiar routes.  Once the meds become too involved, driving becomes dangerous.

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of Trail Talkers there this weekend. It sounds like they are all okay.
 Post Number: 6
pastywhite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was up there and it was scary. He missed me and OtherRob by about 8 feet or so. We were screwing around and got in the back of the parade. The guy had some sort of medical issue and was just crashing through the hikers in the parade. He hit all the people in the other lane - we were just lucky to be on the other side.  We were almost directly in front of the EMS folks and they reacted very quickly but were obviously overwhelmed. There were 3 ambulances actually within 100 ft of the first person hit.

It looked like there were about 8 people who were hurt enough to be immobile. The hikers on up from us had to lift the car off one lady and I'd figure she was the worst injured. There were quite a few people with minor scratches and such but I think the 50-60 report is a little high.
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Proving once again that you are safer on the trail than you are in town.
 Post Number: 8
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 6:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 18 2013, 4:57 pm)
I really think that by say age 65 drivers need to be tested EVERY year.I'm no physiologist so maybe a different age, I don't know.

Drivers should have a medical check AND reexamine, both written and road, every 5 years until age 65, unless a test indicates more often at an earlier age, and then every year thereafter. And licenses shouldn't be as cheap as they are nor should there be automatic renewals without rechecks.

Commercial pilots are every 6 months, private every 2 years for medical. Why shouldn't our drivers be required to be as safe as the "drivers" in the skies?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you guys really see every piece of news as reason to expand government control/intrusion in our lives?
 Post Number: 10
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is no right to drive, and it is already regulated.  We are suggesting it be more regulated for a section of the population that has diminishing senses.  We put more regulations on young drivers because they have proven as a group to be less attentive to the road.  Why not older drivers when they have proven to be under more medical influence or less mental acuity?  

--------------

Post Number: 11
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No. Elderly drivers have plowed into crowds before. I got a Colorado License Ten Years ago that was good for TEN YEARS. That's a problem and if you feel addressing it to be an "intrusion" I really feel sorry for you Toejam.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 12
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ May 19 2013, 9:59 am)
Do you guys really see every piece of news as reason to expand government control/intrusion in our lives?

Absolutely not!

I see deregulation and anarchy as an effective means of achieving ecological balance by curtailing the run away growth of the human population.    :p

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 13
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ May 18 2013, 6:43 pm)
Roger was hoping to avoid Damascus during this week.  He is in the area, hiking the AT, so I hope he managed to not be there.  

He's still in Tennessee, so no worries there.
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes.  It's not safe.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every time a disaster like this....or any other human caused or natural disaster happens, there's an outcry to prevent such occurrence in the future.  Unfortunately there are seldom simple easy answers.  Many older drivers function just fine, and would have no problem passing a written, road test or physical.  Then, suddenly, they have a stroke, or a heart attack and they're part of a two ton disaster hurling through a crowd of people.

While I agree that it would be nice to be able to prevent such disasters, the fact remains that until get smart cars that drive themselves, things like this are going to happen, and there's not much we can do to prevent it.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's how it works.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ May 19 2013, 7:59 am)

Driving is a privilege, NOT a right, and as such can be regulated much more stringently than a right. Most people forget that.

--------------

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, how many of you get tested every year, voluntarily?

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 6:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been driving 41 years. Since I've held an international DL, DLs in 2 foreign countries and 13 US states, I've been tested on average about every 3 years. How about you?

Many point out how "backwards" the US is when it comes to guns. Go look at what most European countries require to get a DL.
With ~20 million crashes annually with somewhere around 40,000 deaths, something needs to be done instead of just freehanding out DLs.

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

41 years?  Then you're getting safer and safer.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1114.pdf

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should also point out I've driven some 2.5 million miles and never had a wreck. Even though I believe myself to be an excellent driver (and I think my driving history proves it) I still think a medical check should be required for ALL drivers, not just commercial ones, and a periodic complete retest not exceeding 5 years.

Plus DL ages should be linked with the drinking AND military age. If someone is not mature enough to responsibly handle alcohol, then they aren't mature enough to be a soldier or operate a 2 ton killing machine.

--------------

20 replies since May 18 2013, 6:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trail Days Hikers Parade interrupted
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions