2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Park Ranger Attacked, While off duty at Beach< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Echo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 3:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of our local park rangers was fishing with his dog along Crescent Beach here on the edge of Crescent City when the young Mountain lion attacked his dog, and when he tried to drive it away from the dog, it turned on him. It was later killed, but today's paper has another story of another mountain lion attack here. These are the first since 2007 but the current paper doesn't have an on-line link yet.

these are the two stories about the first encounter

http://www.triplicate.com/News....-attack

http://www.triplicate.com/News....-attack

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes!
Mountain lions concern me much more than bears do.

Do you have any idea what breed of dog it was?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ May 19 2013, 1:06 pm)
Yikes!
Mountain lions concern me much more than bears do.

Me too. We have bear on our property a lot, usually when the apple tree ripens or the fish are running in the creek near-by. They have almost never been a problem, except about 5 years ago, one killed a few goats and a dog belonging to neighbors but it was removed quickly by the warden. Most of our issues are raccoons actually, but when my son was hunting last year, he turned around and found cougar tracks on top of his for over the last mile he'd covered. And Mom, in Cody Wyoming, had a mountain lion living on her roof, curling up at night next to the chimney last winter. Then my Father in law, in Newcastle Wyoming, saw one in his yard with a neighbor's housecat in its mouth, he's a bit of a "character" so his response was to put his wife's housecats outside for the day.

--------------

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He never did like those cats.  I am surprised he still has them in the house.  

Young mt lions often make bad attempts at dinner.  Those that survive to adulthood are proficient at killing.  I am not surprised it attacked a dog, but turning on the person defending the dog is quite alarming.  Glad all are OK now.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Echo @ May 19 2013, 2:12 pm)
. . . Then my Father in law, in Newcastle Wyoming, saw one in his yard with a neighbor's housecat in its mouth, he's a bit of a "character" so his response was to put his wife's housecats outside for the day.

That's pretty funny.  :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it is evident that the dog was off leash. I'm not saying that is wrong. But this incident is rather typical of why dog owners are urged to keep their dogs close to them in wild areas.

Then there is one crucial detail left out of the story: Did the dog run from the mountain lion toward the dog's owner? Or was the dog just running aimlessly away from the lion? If the dog spooked the lion and then ran back to his master, thus leading the lion to the human, that is a different problem than a mountain lion simply attacking a human.

And yes, sub-adult male lions are often the ones who get into trouble. The dominant male in the territory in which the sub-adult is raised runs the sub-adult out of that territory before the sub-adult has been fully trained to hunt by its mother. So the sub-adult male is forced to resort to unfavorable fringe territory, often near civilization, where the cat gets into trouble.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 19 2013, 1:51 pm)

(Echo @ May 19 2013, 2:12 pm)
. . . Then my Father in law, in Newcastle Wyoming, saw one in his yard with a neighbor's housecat in its mouth, he's a bit of a "character" so his response was to put his wife's housecats outside for the day.

That's pretty funny.  :D

Well he's almost certainly the reason it was there since he feeds turkey and deer from a big bag of feed corn. His house is a neighborhood but on the edge of a small canyon.

Once he asked for radio control trucks for Christmas so he could chase the cats with them, and when a motorcycle accident caused memory loss my MIL took advantage of the situation to tell him, "you remember our 4 cats?" They had one at the time but she started a cat shelter and a trap/spay and release program so had candidates for her other pets.

Now she has been in a nursing home or hospital since 2006 and I think he likes the company

--------------

Post Number: 8
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yikes - that is my biggest fear, and why I very seldom hike alone.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 9
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of us wouldn't' even think about stepping between a predator and its prey....unless it's our pet.

Leave Fido at home or realize that he's part of the environment, and not at the top of the food chain.
 Post Number: 10
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would make the argument that you are safer with a good dog then you are alone. Yes, there is a real risk, but they see better in poor light, hear better, and have a better sense of smell. You are less likely to be ambushed and more likely to scare off a predator, so long as the dog is at your side, and you are both paying attention. As always, improve your odds with bear spray.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 11
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like suicide by LEO.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 19 2013, 8:11 pm)
I would make the argument that you are safer with a good dog then you are alone. Yes, there is a real risk, but they see better in poor light, hear better, and have a better sense of smell. You are less likely to be ambushed and more likely to scare off a predator, so long as the dog is at your side, and you are both paying attention. As always, improve your odds with bear spray.

and I would argue that you are wrong.

A predator that would avoid you will recognize your dog as prey.   This is somewhat of an odity.

A dog will annoy a bear and provoke an attack.  This happens a bit more frequently.

All dogs are "good"...until they bite someone, chase after game, or start barking at a bear.
 Post Number: 13
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No, all dogs aren't good, but one that is well trained, experienced at wilderness travel and interacting with big animals is more useful than a fool human. I'm not speculating, but speaking from experience in bear country.

This is not to be construed as advice that you should take your inexperienced dog into the wilderness. There is a risk. But then there are a lot of people that would be a risk to take along, while offering few advantages.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 14
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ May 19 2013, 8:43 pm)
No, all dogs aren't good, but one that is well trained, experienced at wilderness travel and interacting with big animals is more useful than a fool human. I'm not speculating, but speaking from experience in bear country.

This is not to be construed as advice that you should take your inexperienced dog into the wilderness. There is a risk. But then there are a lot of people that would be a risk to take along, while offering few advantages.

+1
 Post Number: 15
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a wonderful beach for driftwood and pretty stones that starts right along the town of Crescent City.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ask any owner and they will tell you their dog is:

well trained
good around other animals
does not bite

and many will also say that their dog doesn't need to be on a leash, even if laws and rules indicate otherwise.
 Post Number: 17
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As near as I can find, Crescent Beach is part of Redwoods National Park. Regulations on dogs there include a six-foot leash rule, as described in the Visitors Guide (PDF file, see right-hand column of page 11):
    "While pets are family, a national or state park may not be the best place for them. . . . Predators including mountain lions, bears, and coyotes may see pets as prey, placing both pet and owner in danger. . . . pets on a leash not exceeding six feet in length are allowed only at designated campgrounds, picnic areas, public roads, parking areas, and Crescent, Gold Bluffs, Hidden, and Freshwater beaches."
A less official site, PetsWelcome.com says something similar at "Pet Friendly California North Coast Beaches":
    "Pets on a 6-foot leash are allowed at Crescent Beach and Gold Bluffs Beach, all road-accessible picnic areas, the Freshwater Lagoon Spit, and in state park campgrounds and roads within the park. Pets are not allowed on any of the park trails or in park buildings."
The dog attacked belonged to an "off-duty Redwood National and State Parks ranger," who knew the rules, I suspect. Yet the articles linked in the opening post do suggest the dog was off leash, contrary to the rules:
    "the ranger witnessed his dog being chased by an animal that he quickly identified as a mountain lion."
What that sub-adult mountain lion would have done if the dog were on a six-foot leash remains unknown. And if the ranger had followed the rules, we might never know — if the mountain lion had been allowed to go its own way, unprovoked by the dog.

Like the Visitors Guide says, "Pets are family." But sometimes decent, lovable family members get themselves in trouble — and other members of the family with them.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
16 replies since May 19 2013, 3:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Park Ranger Attacked
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions