2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cloud Peak Wilderness, Cloud Peak Wilderness< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OutdoorUnion Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heading to Cloud Peak Wilderness for the first time the end of June.   Anyone have any tips/pointers or ideas of good things to see.  

We will be in the Lake Solitude Mistymoon area most of the trip.

--------------
www.outdoorunion.weebly.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is some truly righteous mountain country. Travis-n-wood or Blue Sage are our resident experts for that area. I've enjoyed the wildflowers and wildlife there. You won't be bothered by crowds.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

End of June ???

Bring your snow shoes.

Message Travisnwood but this is his photo from today on the current conditions.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eh, should be fine minus maybe the passes by end of June. Climb Cloud Peak, it's about 7 hours roundtrip from its base, just north of Misty Moon.

You might need bug spray and definately needs sun protection.

What's your trailhead? How much time?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the picture.   What elevation is that from?

Battle Park Trailhead and just three nights.   Planning on climbing Cloud Peak.  

How is the fishing up there?  What lakes are better than others?  Do any of the streams hold fish up there?

--------------
 Post Number: 6
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OutdoorUnion @ May 19 2013, 9:07 pm)
How is the fishing up there?  What lakes are better than others?  Do any of the streams hold fish up there?

Lot's of small brookies, head to the off trail and higher elevation lakes for some goldens. Yes the streams hold fish, I usually hit the lakes though.

I've been out of Battle Park several times. Expect horse traffic. Have a good trip.
 Post Number: 7
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 12:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wycanislatrans may be right about the snow this year. Two years ago I doubt that you would have even been able to get to Battle Park TH near the end of June. The National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC) showed Battle Park TH under about two feet of snow near the end of June 2011. West Tensleep Lake TH was far worse than that.

Here's a map I made for snowpack of June 25, 2011. Both trailheads were supposedly socked in with snow. But if you've ever tested the NOHRSC maps, you know there is quite a bit of variation on the ground.

That was two years ago. This year you may get lucky. But keep in mind for the future that planning trips for the end of June is pushing your luck against the snowpack in much of the Rocky Mountains. Mid to Late July would be better unless you really like snowshoeing in sloppy wet snow.

Sometimes even lower elevations where trails are near 9000' will harbor a late snowpack. So the snowpack problem is not only through the passes — though that may be true this year at the time you're going. I'm not going to make that prediction. Battle Park TH is on Wycanislatrans' side of the mountains. :D It's not a real good trailhead for my purposes.

I took the photo that Swimswithtrout posted at slightly above 8000'. The snow for the last mile or so on the trail itself was mostly about a foot to two feet deep or so, but I cheated by going off trail and zigging and zagging through melted areas and post-holing the drifts. Beyond the clearing shown in the photo, snowshoes were necessary, but the photo opportunities weren't worth posting.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood-   Thanks for the info.   I know we are trying our luck the end of June.  We had planned on hiking the Black Hills however most of us had been there multiple times.  The date was already set in stone so we thought we would try out luck in the Big Horns. We have limited time away from work and home life, throw on top of that a 15-16 hour drive from Wisconsin, we want to make sure we can get around and enjoy everything we want to accomplish.  

Is there a good fly shop in Buffalo to stop at before we head up?   I have heard that using terrestrials works best?

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wycanislatrans-

I have heard there is anywhere from 1 to 2 feet of snow? Do you think we will have a hard time getting to Battle Park Trailhead?

--------------
 Post Number: 10
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think you have to worry about getting to Battle Park TH -- this year. There's a month for that snow to melt before you need in there. As far as I can tell, it's only about the last 3 or 4 miles of road 24 that may have snow right now.

And besides that, if Battle Park did not melt off, Misty Moon Lake and upper portions of the Lily Lake Trail probably wouldn't either. But I wouldn't worry about it. There's not as much snow this year as we had in 2011.

As far as a fly shop in Buffalo is concerned, I was hoping Blue_Sage would show up and answer that question. He lived in Buffalo for quite a while and probably knows the town better than any of us.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 11
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Google "fly fishing in the Bighorn mts" and you will give you one result for Buffalo and one for Sheridan. It was a long time ago that I needed to get a map and local info, and that turned out very well. I think that I could live in Buffalo or Sheridan

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 12
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 22 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Sports Lure
 Post Number: 13
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello Outdoorunion: The spring snows are really hanging on to the Bighorns, especially the Cloud Peak Wilderness, with 90 percent of the wilderness above 9k.

News for this year on the West Tensleep Corridor that includes Misty Moon and the approaches to Cloud Peak summit from the south and west, a new special order requires the packing out of all human waste in the basin.

Call the Powder River Ranger District Office in Buffalo (307) 684-7806 and ask about conditions in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. And ask about areas that surround the CPW that are accessible and incredible on their own. Wycanislatrans had a great point about lower elevation roadless areas accessible through Battle Park then going north to the Paint Rock Creeks, though they may be swollen with snow melt. The Wilderness Rangers are dispatched out of the Powder River RD in Buffalo

The Sports Lure on Main St. in Buffalo is one of the best stores in the region for backpackers and fisherman.

This weekend I am taking two friends down into Paint Rock and White Canyons on the BLM lands west of the Bighorn National Forest before summer sets in. Molvar's book Cloud Peak Wilderness WY has a number of lower elevation alternatives to the CPW, though I would steer clear this year of the Rock Creek recommended wilderness as it is not clear what is open or not after the Gilead Fire last summer.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

blue-sage-

Thanks for the update.  We are crossing our fingers that mother nature helps us out in the next few weeks before we head out.  We will find something to do regardless of what we can or can not do.  Being flatlanders from Wisconsin we are just looking forward to getting up in some mountains.  We purchased Molvar's book.   A wealth of knowledge.  

I was out there last year when the Gilead fire was burning.   Stayed in Sheridan and the fire grew a lot that night.   I was in Cody the day prior and was amazed at the smoke from the fires in Idaho.

Let me know how your trip goes this weekend.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have an update on the snow melt in the Big Horns?   Still have our fingers crossed.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like it should melt out normally at Cloud Peak Resevoir:

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc....TERYEAR

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 17
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 5:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made a quick map of the area you have been planning to hike with snowpack as of 3 pm today according to NOHRSC. On the map, the deeper violets and magentas represent a few feet of snow. Mistymoon Lake appears to have around 30" of snow, maybe less. Battle Park TH and the Lily Lake Trail 066 are down below a foot of snow — outside the wilderness.

But remember that is somewhat hypothetical. On the ground you are likely to find bare patches and drifts depending on shade and sun, windward and leeward sides of wind blocks. For better information, I guess you can call the Forest Service office. But for now you would probably need snowshoes to get to Mistymoon Lake.

In three weeks that could all change.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 18
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Legend for the snow depth is below.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood-

Thanks for that update.  I would imagine anything south facing will not have a whole lot of snow left the end of June.

I am trying to get by with my 45 degree bag with a liner rated for another 25 on this trip.  I figure those two with some layers and I should be just fine.  What are your thoughts?   My 45 degree bag packs small and I really do not want to invest another 200-300 on a new bag for this trip.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That bag combo should be great for all of the Bighorns. I was down in the 6500~7000' elevation last weekend with a 40deg  bag in canyon bottoms with rain with a bivy and slept warm.

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 1:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you guys have any update on snow lingering around.  I talked with a guy friday, he told me they got a storm that dumped around 6 inches of wet snow last week?

Does anyone know what ice (if any) that might still be on the lakes up around mistymoon?

--------------
 Post Number: 22
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 1:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It can snow any time of year in the Bighorns. It snowed about a half foot on me on July 4th one year. We had a few days of storms across much of Wyoming last week. During that time, the snowpack in Cloud Peak Wilderness appears to have slightly gained depth rather than lost it.

But it's only been 4 days since you asked last time. There are still three weeks or so to go. What date exactly were you planning on being there? I've been thinking about checking out the Battle Park Trailhead myself.

Higher elevations still have 4 to 6 feet of snowpack. That's a bit more than "lingering." And it's fairly normal. The runoff may be a bit late this year.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 8:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I realize it can snow anytime of the year out there.   I guess my question was how much did the recent snow set everything back.   I have been following the weather here and there. Kind of hard to pinpoint weather at 11000 ft.   I thank you,  you are out there and can look out the window.  

We are leaving Wisconsin Monday afternoon (June 24th).  Staying at West Tensleep Tuesday night, then up to Battle Park wed. morning.   Tentative plan that is depending on weather.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OutdoorUnion @ Jun. 04 2013, 6:38 am)
. . . you are out there and can look out the window. . .

Actually, I can not just look out the window. I check the snowpack depth from the NOHRSC link I gave you above. It's not a precise indicator, but it often is as good as we can do. And it's to your advantage to learn to use that site. The area covered at that link is the entirety of Cloud Peak Wilderness and includes the Battle Park Trailhead.

I can make you a better map later today, if I get time.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood-

Where are you located?  I did not mean looking out the window to come across that way.  Hopefully you did not take it that way.    

No need to make a map.  I have played with that site some.  I am with you when you say "precise indicator".  I have a hard time looking at that map and believing there is 3 feet of snow over an extended area.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could see the Absaroka and Wind Rivers were quite polar from Ampitheatre Lake Trail in the Tetons. My understanding was they got 10-15". Places in the Bighorns might have gotten more than that 6".

If snowpack up there is a problem then the southern approaches of the Gros Ventre would be a good alternative albeit a few hours further apparently.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 27
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OutdoorUnion @ Jun. 04 2013, 9:52 am)
. . . No need to make a map.  I have played with that site some.  I am with you when you say "precise indicator".  I have a hard time looking at that map and believing there is 3 feet of snow over an extended area.

It may be difficult for someone from Wisconsin to get a grasp on, but 3 feet of snow at this time of year for the higher Rocky Mountains is not much snow. I've seen 10 feet of snow in southern Colorado at Wolf Creek Pass in late June. That's at only 10,800 feet elevation.

Northern Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Dakota can get a lot of snow in winter, but that snow melts fast at 1200 to 2000 feet elevation. But the Rockies have a very different situation at elevations from 8000 to 14,000 feet. It stays colder up that high.

Count yourself lucky that the map may show only 3 feet of widespread snowpack in early June. It can get much deeper than that.

Anyhow, you also sent me a PM. I'll be away from the computer for a few hours, but I'll try to answer those questions later this afternoon.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 28
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 13 2013, 7:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It looks like the route to Cloud Peak is almost clear of snow, according to NOHRSC. It shows a few inches of snow a half mile either side of Mistymoon Lake, but other than that, there isn't much left until you get to Cloud Peak and eastward from there. There are still a few feet shown for higher elevations of the Bighorns, but with the approach to Cloud Peak on the sunny side of the mountain, in another week the route is likely to be almost entirely free of snow. I'd guess you may still encounter swollen streams, but that's a slightly different problem. Hope you have a good time.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood-

Thanks for sharing the snow totals again.   It seems we have lucked out with snow totals.  

We are all set to hit the road (from Wisconsin) here in a little over a week.   I am sure we will post a few blogs and twitter reports on our way out and again on our way back home.  @OutdoorUnion

Thanks for all the knowledge everyone has shared.

--------------
28 replies since May 19 2013, 10:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cloud Peak Wilderness
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions