2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Insect Repellent, Consumer Reports< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 11:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Link
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks for sharing
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting that there were several brands that compare in effectiveness to my standard. I think I'll switch since The Deep Woods Off Sportsman II is cheaper.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For years, I have been a proponent of 3M Ultra, but since the ratings for the top several products are by and large the same, there is no sense in not switching to the cheapest version.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 6:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll stick with a high-concentrate Deet (98% or so.) I don't pay much attention to the brand name because I split it up into tiny squeeze drop bottles (about an inch long) that breath drops come in.

It smells bad, and as I found out one day, it tastes even worse. Returning from a backpacking trip, I stopped at a Walmart, and as I was roaming the aisles I reached into my pocket for some breath drops, took out the little bottle and squeezed a few drops onto my tongue.

After rolling it over my tongue I realized it was one of the Deet bottles I'd used. When I had returned to the trailhead, instead of putting the Deet in my pack, I'd placed it in my pocket.

Never swallowed.

I made a long exit to my pickup lost in the parking lot and repeatedly swished water through my mouth. But the Deet flavor stuck for a long time. So if you have trouble with mosquitoes flying into your mouth, give it a try.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 6
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the DEET smell is pretty offensive to me, so I'll stick with Picaridin, but the 3M Ultrathon is about the only DEET product I'll use.  I have some around somewhere

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 7
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 7:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont know about the rest of you but I do have an issue with spraying a chemical onto my skin...aka DEET.

I prefer a more natural method of bug control.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've noticed that when the DEET concentration gets close to 100%, the term "spray" is somewhat of a misnomer.   Mixing some water, or whatever the "inert ingredients" are makes it easier to apply.
 Post Number: 9
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't use any spray because it puts far more Deet on the skin than is necessary to do the job. I use a few drops here and there and spread it thin.

It's been so dry around here that there have not been many mosquitoes anyhow. No pools of water for them to breed in. I may have applied Deet twice through the entire summer last year for all I can remember.

In some areas mosquito activity is very dependent on time of day and location. Keeping the mesh zipped up on a tent is far preferable to applying Deet and listening to the critters buzz around inside the tent wishing I were more palatable.

Ultimately I don't like putting a chemical inside the gas tank of my pickup either, but it doesn't go far without it. And I've yet to see anything that works as well as Deet. It's nice that there are other products coming on the market, but that does not mean they will be available in my area. Small-town Wyoming doesn't have all the things in stores of Denver or Houston.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 10
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used Vietnam Jungle Juice (military issue) for years... high concentration of DEET. Some of it leaked onto a nylon comb I had (together in a ziplock) and over the course of a long backpack trip, unbeknownst to me, melted the comb.

DEET is some powerful stuff!

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 11
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing works as well as Deet, and I only use it on back country trips.  Same with permethrin, as it only goes on the clothes I wear in the bc.  At home, bugs are not as bad, and I can get away from them easier.  I figure this limited exposure to those 2 products is not going to harm me.  

I prefer to use pump sprays that I can put into my hand and then apply to my neck and face.  Even when using a head net, I find the little devils can reach the back of my neck and the backs of my hands.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After researching Deet and Permethrin and finding as much information as I could, I am quite comfortable with using both products. I don't worry about the concentration because of the ability for some products to be time released. I am also not concerned about where Deet is sprayed (except for my equipment). I hit my ankles, arms and neck. My rainshell, summer gaitors, and 3-season boots gets a dose of Permethrin every Spring. I've been using 3M Ultrathon but I'll do a test run of the "good" cheap stuff.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the link, hbfa.

On a related note... there are lots of readings on not mixing repellant with sun block.

A few years back, I experimented by mixing REI sunblock and 3M Ultrathon.  The resulting mixture worked beautifully.  No more need to bring separate bottles of each.  Thus, there is theory... and there is practice.  And sometimes, theory isn't everything.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 14
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 25 2013, 10:44 am)
. . . On a related note... there are lots of readings on not mixing repellant with sun block.

A few years back, I experimented by mixing REI sunblock and 3M Ultrathon.  The resulting mixture worked beautifully.  No more need to bring separate bottles of each.  Thus, there is theory... and there is practice.  And sometimes, theory isn't everything.

Dr. Buck Tilton, Backpacker Magazine's "Medicine Man" puts it this way:
    "Lather on the sunscreen first, and give it time to bind to your skin. The usual recommendation is 30 minutes, but some products may be ready for an application of repellent sooner. For maximum protection, apply the sunscreen in a uniform layer; it takes about one ounce to cover the skin of an average adult wearing a swimsuit. If in doubt, use more rather than less. With repellent, however, use the minimum amount to keep bugs off. Try a little, then add more as needed. "
That is the way I try to do it — if I use both sunscreen and repellent. But I do not mix the two in a bottle because I use sunscreen often but repellent rarely. So I have no reason to put on repellent every time I use sunscreen. For instance, I use sunscreen even on winter hikes, but I certainly don't need Deet in winter. So I leave the fluids separate.

Beyond that, by doing the layering as Dr. Tilton recommends, it is easier to spread the Deet as thin as necessary to do the job. But with sunscreen, I want to make sure I don't spread it too thin. Better to err on the thick side with sunscreen and thin side with Deet. I can always apply more Deet, but I don't want to get a sunburn before I realize the sunscreen was too thin.

I don't want to use Deet if I don't have to, so I keep the two separate — until I apply them to my skin.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As always, a YMMV thing.  Just wanted to share that mixing is a perfectly effective option -- application theories notwithstanding.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 16
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ May 25 2013, 12:22 pm)
As always, a YMMV thing.  Just wanted to share that mixing is a perfectly effective option -- application theories notwithstanding.

Sure, mixing may be effective.

But not mixing is far more than just a "theory." It's a very practical solution for winter hiking and for other seasons where mosquitoes are not a problem — from highly-experienced  backpackers such as Doctor Tilton of NOLS.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 17
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Permethrin my clothes, DEET my exposed.

When we went to Cumberland Island, in February, gnats would accumulate in a crowd in your face.  A drop of DEET on a finger, smeared across the forehead and down the nose would keep them a foot away.

I'll depend on my clothing and a drop or two of DEET.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ May 25 2013, 1:28 pm)
But not mixing is far more than just a "theory." It's a very practical solution for winter hiking and for other seasons where mosquitoes are not a problem — from highly-experienced  backpackers such as Doctor Tilton of NOLS.

Viable options are a good thing, Travis.  Not sure why you feel the need to repeatedly quote and counter?  No one is saying that you must always mix sunblock with DEET -- even when hiking in the dead of winter where insects are not a problem!  Strawman much or just your usual argumentative self?

Anyway, I offered up my experience as an option.  That's all it is.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ May 25 2013, 2:58 pm)
Permethrin my clothes...

Amen!  And shoes and socks too.

I also spray my tent a bit -- does wonders keeping the flies and skeeters away -- meaning no need to duck in or out of the tent super quick -- and no more incessant buzz just inches from my ears.   :cool:

--------------
18 replies since May 23 2013, 11:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Insect Repellent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions