2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Livingston Mt< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 9:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've done a lot of reading up, but that may be the problem, too many choices. What are the best dayhikes and short overnighters in the area? I will be there during the last week of June. Can't wait, haven't been that far west before. I'm from WV, totally different type of mountains. And opinions on the Murray Hotel? A friend seems to be crazy about it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really like the Boulder River just East  of Livingston, Natural Bridge SP is interesting for short hikes, there are nice campsites farther up river, and there is dramatic alpine scenery for an overnighter up to the Needles.

North of Big Timber are the Crazy Mountains, and Halfmoon Campground is the trailhead for a nice hike up into a beautiful basin with lakes and some interesting peaks. One of my favorite areas in Montana.

You probably can't go wrong whatever you do.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Jun. 15 2013, 7:36 am)
I've done a lot of reading up, but that may be the problem, too many choices. What are the best dayhikes and short overnighters in the area? I will be there during the last week of June. Can't wait, haven't been that far west before. I'm from WV, totally different type of mountains. And opinions on the Murray Hotel? A friend seems to be crazy about it.

Livingston is about the "funkiest" town in Montana... where hippies, tourists, billionaires, ranchers and work-a-day folks rub elbows.

The Murray is a pretty cool old place. My dad used to pick up "dudes" there in his Whites Yellowstone bus and drive them to the park. The 2nd Street Bistro is adjacent to the Murray and is a GREAT place to eat, and one of the best in the entire area. It is expensive. The Rib and Chop House is excellent.

Hikes are a simple matter and all are a matter of grading diamonds. A local favorite is Pine Creek south of town (spectacular and steep).

Being here in June is a guarantee of snowy trail conditions above 7K. Be aware and prepared.

Most locals don't backpack much before July 1.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jun. 16 2013, 8:34 am)
Most locals don't backpack much before July 1.

Unless they take their snowshoes.

Everything else Brad says is right on.  You might also consider hiking in Yellowstone which is just 60 miles south of Livingston and has a number of lower elevation hikes which may not be snowbound.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, I love snowshoeing... last count I think we have 5 pairs at the house!

I just notice most aren't really in full backpack mode til the bulk of the snow is off the trails... it snowed on an off all last week down to 6,000' here.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 6
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Note that you'll only be about an hour from the Gardiner entrance to YNP and short drive into the Park to Mammoth. Granted you won't be doing any real hiking but it could be an opportunity not to be missed.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jun. 16 2013, 5:08 pm)
I just notice most aren't really in full backpack mode til the bulk of the snow is off the trails... it snowed on an off all last week down to 6,000' here.

I hear you.  Backpacking with snowshoes or skis is definitely more of a chore regardless of it's rewards. Good reasons lots of people don't do it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely add a trip into Yellowstone and dont miss a chance to stop at Chico Hot Springs, its just down the road from Livingston and they have a great old resturant too.

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 9
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neat little town.  I love the setting.  Swing by Elk River Books while you're in town; it is owned by Doug Peacock's wife.  Doug wrote Grizzly Years and it a well-known environmentalist and writer.  Quite the wild man...

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 10
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll check out Livingston for a couple days before Yellowstone. Always looking for a new bookstore, I've read about the Rib and Chop House (apparently there's one in PA about 2 hours from me??), will try to squeeze in the Hot Springs, swing by the Murray, and try to figure out what "real" hiking is.
Possibilities in Yellowstone I'm looking at are Mt Washburn and Ribbon Lake. Any local brews that stand out?
 Post Number: 11
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Panhandler @ Jun. 17 2013, 4:51 pm)
Thanks for the replies..... Any local brews that stand out?

Try Scape Goat Pale Ale by Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula .... very nice. They also make a brown ale  "Moose Drool" which after several pitchers will wreck your rental car. ;)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
10 replies since Jun. 15 2013, 9:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Livingston Mt
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions