2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Here, Tipi Walter, To Keep from Hijacking Another Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To keep from hijacking another thread, I've transferred this conversation to this thread.

Tipi Walter:
    "Enjoying nature for me means sleeping with it.  Otherwise it's just torture to dangle the grapes and not eat---dayhiking in other words.  Don't see the point.  Why go into the woods if you can stay for a couple weeks??  Seems like torture to me. . . ."
TravisNWood:
    On the other hand, 300 million people all like Tipi Walter sounds like torture to me.  :D

We can't all enjoy nature the same way, the same place, the same time. It would no longer be nature if we did.
Tipi Walter:
    You will NEVER have to worry about this happening as Americans are generally nature-retarded and gas addicted and won't explore nature unless rolling.  

Just look at the Tail of the Dragon's Anus and the Cherohala Skyway---motor loops which attract a million loud roaring and screaming motorcycles a year to get their nature fix but only when rolling.

And study the GSMNP which, sure, gets 10 million visitors a years with a huge percentage of them rolling and taking short dayhikes from the road.  And then we wonder why the Smokies has the worst air pollution for a NP in the country.  Does each car pay a $20 fee to enter?  Nope, but backpackers have to pay 4 bucks a night.  Weird.

The thing is, the more we access "nature" with machines the less pristine nature becomes.  Often the idea "we can't all enjoy nature in the same way" translates to the "Multiuse Access" policy of the forest service whereby everyone thinks they have a right to the forest---ATV's, snowmobiles, bicycles, scooters, 40 RV park campgrounds, Yellowstone nature motor loops and Cades Cove traffic jams.  

So thank God for designated wilderness area where access is still open to everyone but only on Foot.  In wilderness areas we all have to access nature in the same way---On foot.

There, got that off my chest---another pointless screed.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tipi Walter:
TravisNWood:
On the other hand, 300 million people all like Tipi Walter sounds like torture to me.  :D

We can't all enjoy nature the same way, the same place, the same time. It would no longer be nature if we did.

You will NEVER have to worry about this happening as Americans are generally nature-retarded and gas addicted and won't explore nature unless rolling. . . . 

It's already happening. Huge wilderness areas in my state are heavily impacted in places because too many people have similar ideas of how to backpack. They all seem to want grand vistas, alpine elevations, and a lake to fish and camp by.

Result: Nature is tattooed with their wear and tear.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 3
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I feel I should hi-jack this thread my mentioning that I DO NOT care for prog rock or Chicago (the band).

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Prog rock? Wasn't that a kids show with muppets wannabees?
 Post Number: 5
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:50 am)
I feel I should hi-jack this thread my mentioning that I DO NOT care for prog rock or Chicago (the band).

I don't care for Chicago the city.  The band I couldn't care less about. :D

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Chicago the band? Wasn't that a group with a Gary Busey wannabe?
 Post Number: 7
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:55 am)
Prog rock? Wasn't that a kids show with muppets wannabees?

Yes, stupid muppet wannabees that never slept on the ground.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:59 am)
Chicago the band? Wasn't that a group with a Gary Busey wannabe?

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:44 pm)
It's already happening. Huge wilderness areas in my state are heavily impacted in places because too many people have similar ideas of how to backpack. They all seem to want grand vistas, alpine elevations, and a lake to fish and camp by.

Result: Nature is tattooed with their wear and tear.

I find it hard to believe that your 3,110,000 acres of Wyoming wilderness areas are more crowded than my 60-75,000 acres of wilderness in the mountains of TN and NC.  You've got about 15 separate wilderness areas so surely there must be places you can find solitude.  Maybe you're overrun with stock animals and horseback riders. :)

Heck, I just got back from a trip in the Citico/Slickrock wilderness where I did not see a single human for 16 days.  In February 2006 I did a 15 day trip and didn't see anyone.  This was in a 35,000 acres area.  And the East has a bunch more people, millions more, than Wyoming and parts of the west.  Very weird.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heck, I just got back from a trip in the Citico/Slickrock wilderness where I did not see a single human for 16 days.  In February 2006 I did a 15 day trip and didn't see anyone.  This was in a 35,000 acres area.  And the East has a bunch more people, millions more, than Wyoming and parts of the west.  Very weird.

None of this has anything to do with Froggle Walk, Chicago the river, or Gary Busey.  Please keep this thread on topic.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 11
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 17 2013, 12:08 pm)
I find it hard to believe that your 3,110,000 acres of Wyoming wilderness areas are more crowded than my 60-75,000 acres of wilderness in the mountains of TN and NC.  You've got about 15 separate wilderness areas so surely there must be places you can find solitude. . . .

Of course, the entire wilderness area is not crowded. What I said was "in places" and I described those locations. There are plenty of places to find solitude. In fact, I've found solitude for 2 1/2 months straight of living out of my backpack. What is two weeks?

But the point is, I did that by not doing things the way other people do them. I sure as heck did not imitate Tipi Walter for a mere 16 days or whatever.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 17 2013, 2:18 pm)
Of course, the entire wilderness area is not crowded. What I said was "in places" and I described those locations. There are plenty of places to find solitude. In fact, I've found solitude for 2 1/2 months straight of living out of my backpack. What is two weeks?

But the point is, I did that by not doing things the way other people do them. I sure as heck did not imitate Tipi Walter for a mere 16 days or whatever.

Now you're just being mean.  What is two weeks?  It's great.  But why compare who has the longest trips?  When did the discussion become about trip length, except to say an overnighter is a heck of a lot better than a dayhike, in my opinion.    What specific dayhiker did I offend?

Anyway, a "mere" 18 day trip for me happens once a month---someone will chew on that and will need a retort.

--------------

Post Number: 13
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 10:56 am)

(LuketheDrifter @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:50 am)

I don't care for Chicago the city.  The band I couldn't care less about. :D

I sort of pro their style of pizza.
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Hawaiian pizza...SPAM and pineapple.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 17 2013, 11:51 am)
Anyway, a "mere" 18 day trip for me happens once a month

Heck that's nuthin'
I do an 18 trip every other week.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:42 pm)

Heck that's nuthin'

I took one just yesterday.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 3:47 pm)

Heck that's nuthin'

Slackers, I did one between breakfast and lunch today.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 18
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:14 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 3:47 pm)

Heck that's nuthin'

Slackers, I did one between breakfast and lunch today.

I'm gonna go take one right now.
 Post Number: 19
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 17 2013, 12:51 pm)
. . . But why compare who has the longest trips?  When did the discussion become about trip length, except to say an overnighter is a heck of a lot better than a dayhike, in my opinion. . . .

When you said this: "Why go into the woods if you can stay for a couple weeks??  Seems like torture to me. . . ."

I presume the "can" is a typo. You meant "can't."

You think a backpacking trip of less than two weeks is torture. Your words, right?

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 20
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 17 2013, 1:33 pm)

Pepperoni or it's not pizza.  :p

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 17 2013, 4:34 pm)

(Tipi Walter @ Jun. 17 2013, 12:51 pm)
. . . But why compare who has the longest trips?  When did the discussion become about trip length, except to say an overnighter is a heck of a lot better than a dayhike, in my opinion. . . .

When you said this: "Why go into the woods if you can stay for a couple weeks??  Seems like torture to me. . . ."

I presume the "can" is a typo. You meant "can't."

You think a backpacking trip of less than two weeks is torture. Your words, right?

You're right, I forgot the "can't".  It should read:

"Enjoying nature for me means sleeping with it.  Otherwise it's just torture to dangle the grapes and not eat---dayhiking in other words.  Don't see the point.  Why go into the woods if you can't stay for a couple weeks??  Seems like torture to me."

I'm fortunate since I am retired and have the time to pull long trips, and so for me a long trip is ideal and the goal.  If I can only do a shorter trip it's not exactly torture---

I meant to say it's torture for me personally to dayhike and do all the work getting to a place only to leave the same day.  I call it going from Car to Car.  I know that many people can't spend a single night out---I just don't know how they do it.  Dangling grapes, etc.

We have area Hiking Clubs who do dayhikes only and never backpack.  I just can't figure out what makes them tick.  Why not carry a bedroll and spend just a single night out?  Who knows?  I need to study the psychology of Dayhikers.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 17 2013, 4:40 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 23
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 17 2013, 6:12 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

Since pizza did not originate in Hawaii it's pretty safe to say that Hawaiian Pizza is not really pizza.  But it's ok, they don't know no better.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jun. 17 2013, 4:34 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

Since pizza did not originate in Hawaii it's pretty safe to say that Hawaiian Pizza is not really pizza.  But it's ok, they don't know no better.

Pizza didn't originate in Chicago either.  But don't tell them that.

However, I think Chicago the band was instrumental in inventing it, wherever that was.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 7:17 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

However, I think Chicago the band was instrumental in inventing it, wherever that was.

Still, the whole thread is best described by SPAM.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 5:17 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

I grew up just outside Chicago and still don't know what Chicago Pizza is... but my old HS girlfriend could make a really mean, deep dish pizza in a dutch oven, over a campfire, that would would make ChuckD jealous .

WAYYYYYyyyy back in the day, before they it hit big, Styx used to play in my HS gym for our sock hop dances. REO played there once as well.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 27
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Jun. 17 2013, 7:39 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 17 2013, 5:17 pm)

Tell that to a Hawaiian.

I grew up just outside Chicago and still don't know what Chicago Pizza is... but my old HS girlfriend could make a really mean, deep dish pizza in a dutch oven, over a campfire, that would would make ChuckD jealous .

WAYYYYYyyyy back in the day, before they it hit big, Styx used to play in my HS gym for our sock hop dances. REO played there once as well.

Do you have her address?

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread was never supposed to be about pizza or bag nights.

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL... it's like a bloody train wreck.  I'm embarrassed to keep it playing, but yet can't stop it, lol.

At least it's not the gayest music video ever. :p

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, I dunno about that....

--------------
31 replies since Jun. 17 2013, 1:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Here, Tipi Walter
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions