2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: It's Relay Time!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
4wheelbob Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 4:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although I don't get over here as often as I used to, I still see many of you over on FB but wanted to post a link to my "Relay For Life" of Livermore, CA, which is ON like donkey kong June 22 - 23 at Livermore High School.

I have a zillion reasons why I go so hard at Relay - Gina's successful battle over lymphoma, dozens of friends and relatives who have lost that battle...and I go all out - I will, as always, be out for the entire 24 hour duration of the event, and set a goal of 50 miles.

Last year, I made it to 50 with 30 minutes to spare, and I seem to be stronger every year. This year I'm planning "Day of..." events - autographed cards, wheelie laps - which should generate some interest. But my dedication to Relay is absolute. Did a 20 mile local roll this morning for training and I feel fantastic.

Thank you so much for your past support, and if this is a good year please help me push it over the line again this year. As always, if you'd like me to add a name on my Honor Roll as I circle the track, let me know and I'll add it to my list of honorees. Thanks once again,
4wb

http://main.acsevents.org/site....d=48960
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey 4WB, good to see you here!

I was just thinking about digging up your email to nudge you into popping in here to maybe tell us a little about your plans to cross the Sierra? I was visiting family in Petaluma a few weeks ago and my BIL was reading the paper and stopped to read out loud about a guy who had a plan! I asked if it mentioned the name Bob C. And when he said yes, and read the rest of the article, I thought wowza! You should add some detail here, if that's okay.

--------------
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob!  Glad you're still fighting the good fight.  Keep rocking.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 8:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep up the good work

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great to hear from you, and good to know you're still slamming the relay.  Sadly, I have a new name to add to my list since last time.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 1:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's important to me to get out and do this for those who can't and still fight, sometimes for years, holding on and slugging it out. And...it's so good when I can get over here!

Chuck, as always.....you da MAN! I know who to put on my list!

Look forward to it, Rebecca. Keep in touch, too - Kearsarge not long off. Will hope they can permit me as requested....

BP2go, I will keep everyone here apprised of my plan. It's not a crazy plan...unless you begin to consider logistics of a potentially 14 day trip. There are some fairly fast spots, but the first 12 miles will not be among those. I thought I had posted something here, but will put it out in the morning. It's going to be fun! Lone Pine rangers didn't want me out there at first, but did a little research. Will keep you posted!

Thanks to so many for your support. Got a 20 miler in today to help get ready - maybe as many tomorrow with our temp drop. Take care, thank you in advance, stay tuned!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to bump this thread for a few more days. I'd love to roll a lap to honor you or your loved ones!

Thank you for helping with another successful Relay For Life of Livermore!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bump

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm bumping this, too.  Dig deep, folks!  This is our chance to holler one loud "**** you!" at cancer.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bump! We start in the morning, around 8 AM. Heading to the school in an hour to help set up tents and shade.

Going to be in th e90's, they say. Hey, we've managed at 112 a couple of years ago, 90's is a gift! :D

Looking forward to starting, cold and all. Tylenol, Sudafed, whatever keeps me going. As Tom Petty once said "I won't back down!"

Thank you so much for your help!
 Post Number: 11
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kick butt, Bob!

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's out there now on a scorching day.  Did y'all pony up?

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 1:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wish I could, unemployed

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're a hellofa guy 4WB but then everyone aready knows that just reading your posts.  :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness. Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thinking of WWBF and his wife

--------------
 Post Number: 16
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 24 2013, 2:32 pm)
Thinking of WWBF and his wife

Yes.  Maybe Bob can go back out and do a few more laps for them.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 3:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's been a long Monday.

Attacked Relay with every bit of me Saturday morning. Woke up Wednesday with a nasty cold / fluish thing going on...

Saturday morning at 4AM, I woke up feeling like garbage, and for the first time ever considered staying home and trying to get better....then I dropped off for another hour and a half.

At 5:30 AM, an adrenaline surge got me up...along with 4 hungry dawgs wanting to be fed. Had a temp of 101 but it didn't mean a thing. Packed the Camelback with 3 liters of ice and water, threw the tent in my car and headed out to Livermore High School, just a few blocks away.

Funny what a little will can do. Armed with one big bottle of Tylenol and a prescription antibiotic, I sat gingerly beside my car, pushing PSI in my tires to 110 pounds to decrease rolling resistance just a little.

Opening ceremonies began early, which was great - it was to be 95 Saturday, and I needed to get my laps in early and late. The speakers and accolades for sponsors filtered away, and we began with our survivor lap - I held Gina's "6 year" sign as I rolled for her - she was the event photographer.

Finally, once that first lap was done, I got into Indy Oval Race mode....drafting off the slow ones, people I've seen for the last 10 years, friends though we see each other just once every year...and nothing feels better than that reconnection, know ing they're hanging on or winning their battle.

I pushed until 3 Saturday afternoon. Fever had caught up with me so I stopped for a couple of hours to rest, eat and suck down more meds. The sun would be off the track soon, and our precious SF Bay fog was moving in with a powerful wind pushing it to us.

That was all I needed. I was out on the track again by 6. And FLYING! Old runners might have called it "wind aided", but I was stoked - my symptoms were there, but there was no question someone was pushing me, making it possible...

Through the night I rolled, stopping for water a lot, not wanting to give out. I passed Mile 100 just before midnight, and knew 200 was not very likely. However, I had 9 hours and a big bottle of Tylenol. Good to go, y'know?

I gave everything I had as the night cooled and took the soreness from my back and shoulders. If a case were to be made for a divine presence lending a hand, I could have sworn to it.

3 AM came and I stretched out as the wind buffeted my tent. I've never had a trail night as grueling as this had been. I lost consciousness for two and a half hours, waking to the glow of a foggy Livermore morning. It was beautiful, I felt pretty good, so I gobbled meds and got back on the track.

I had it in overdrive the rest of the morning. At the end, my fireman bud Matt and I had squeezed out 390 laps between us - 150 of which were mine. After we closed, final dollars for the event were just over $220,000 - and our Relay is still accepting donations until August 31st!

Yesterday I was roadkill, not able to do much except dream disjointed, silly vignettes of the weekend. Today I'm just sore. But...I did get out for 4 miles on a new regional trail. Heck, why not? It was there....

I am so grateful for the support of so many of my friends over here. More than that, you and I made a difference to someone who is seeking answers. And we're making that happen.

I will be less a stranger here because nobody posts silly pics of whatever meal they're consuming, but mostly because we're a pretty likeable little bunch, ain't we? Thanks so much, new stories are being written as we speak....with all my love, 4wb
 Post Number: 18
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, Bob, I'm in awe.  And I'm glad you plan not to be such a stranger, because we miss you!  

Our old gradeschool has mounted a team for the Relay here in my town next weekend, and I'll be there, cheering them on, walking with them, etc., for as much of the time as I can manage.

--------------
The Ninja Librarian Blog
17 replies since Jun. 17 2013, 4:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply It's Relay Time!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions