2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Camping Equipment Oxymorons< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gander Mountain's 4th of July camping sale includes a Camp Chef 120" Outdoor Movie Screen.  

Don't forget the screen cleaner to wipe off all the bugs that will fly into it head first.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BYOD.  I think everyone should just bring their own personal tablet.  Nobody watches from the same screen anymore... not even in an airplane!   :p

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about one made of tyvek?

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Jun. 18 2013, 1:10 pm)

Illustrates some of the reasons why I dislike big group hikes!  :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 18 2013, 1:59 pm)

This was Kick Off. You've been there!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about 3/4 of the stuff for sale in the store with the oxymoronic name: Camping World.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:09 pm)

Yah, once was enough.   :p

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:16 pm)

But you got a hug from me and everything! :blush:

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dicentra @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:18 pm)

(Ben2World @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:16 pm)

But you got a hug from me and everything! :blush:

Yeah, that was the good part.   It was indeed a pleasure meeting you, Dicentra.  :D

--------------
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well there is another use we can get out of our Tyvek ground clothes.
 Post Number: 11
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Jun. 18 2013, 2:34 pm)
Well there is another use we can get out of our Tyvek ground clothes.

You have tyvek clothes? Fancy!  :laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Campground...The one place I can rarely get any sleep. The last time was my new all-time favorite where some drunk guy was trying to have a conversation with my son in his tent, thinking that he was his "buddy" at 1:30 a.m. After politely correcting the guy and letting him know his buddy wasn't at our campsite, he proceeded to try and communicate with my son at which point I told him to get lost...so he moved on to the next tent, which was my sister-in-law's with their kids. Needless to say, it almost ended with me requesting my friend in the next trailer who is head of SWAT training to "take care of it". There are plenty of morons at a Campground who have no respect for "camping". Oops....not exactly camping equipment, is it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 13
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That fork think that makes nine s'mores at once! Totally defeats the purpose!

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with you on campgrounds, Tigger.  Usually too noisy and too smokey.  

I will say that we just spend two nights at the Mill Creek CG in Del Norte State Park up the coast, and it was shocking.  Quiet, isolated sites, and hardly any fires.  Of course, it was mid-week.  But seriously--you could scarcely see one site from the next.  Reminds me of how it used to be at Mt. Rainier when I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure they've remodeled and put a lot more sites in those places since the 70s.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
raincloud Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about the Peak 1 'Featherlite' backpacking stove. Even tho' I have one, and actually really like it, there's nothing 'feather light' about it.
Also, I agree with Tigger and RebeccaD on campgrounds. We have about 3 places to backpack in my state, which is ranked 49th for outdoor resources. I pity the poor state that is 50th. The closest backpacking to me would be about a 4 hr drive, and even then, it's prolly not worth the drive.
I've gotten so I hate camping near drunks so much, I rarely go from Memorial Day to Labor Day anymore. Just too many noisy, rude, drunken campers.
 Post Number: 16
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(raincloud @ Jun. 27 2013, 9:50 pm)
I've gotten so I hate camping near drunks so much, I rarely go from Memorial Day to Labor Day anymore. Just too many noisy, rude, drunken campers.

Rather than not camping I decided to join them and get louder, ruder and drunker that all the others.   Hence Pickle Gulch and HOTB.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 17
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 10:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Large RVs come to mind, as well as those huge milti-room tents.

Then there are gadgets designed to imitate camping

Post Number: 18
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How old fashioned can you get??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 19
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd say the Whisperlight stove manages a double-oxymoron, since it is both fairly heavy (by modern standards, I will note--when I bought mine in the 80s it was a darned good option!) and more than a little loud.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 20
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013, 11:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LOL  After using an alcohol stove for 4 years, everything else sounds like a jet engine.  Had a Whisperlight, and a Pocket Rocket, and gave both of them away for the cost of shipping.  I will stick with the White Box or cold meals if fire bans prevent my cooking.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 21
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 28 2013, 9:33 am)
Large RVs come to mind, as well as those huge milti-room tents.

I love me some big RV 'campers'. Several years ago, in a non-electric campground. Some guy in a wheeled mansion fiddled for two hours getting his tv satellite to get reception. Generator blaring the whole time. Finally got the TV up, pulls the TV onto the picnic table. Pulls out the George Foreman grill. Then begins a constant stream of complaints about the 'bugs' - no idea what they were as we had nothing buzzing around us.

Ends up moving all operations inside and never left the comfort of his air conditioned confines.

Just don't understand why you'd spend 100s of 1000s of dollars to do the same thing that would be done easier at home?
 Post Number: 22
raincloud Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Whisperlite that's anything but a whisper.
Tallgrass, where I live, the state DNR has gradually replaced most of the tent sites with asphalt or gravel RV sites. There are fewer and fewer tent sites with each passing year, and the ones that are left are usually on hillsides without a flat spot to pitch a tent. So even if you are lucky enough to find a site away from the noise of generators and air conditioners, you won't sleep for rolling down the hill. And backpacking in my state is relatively non-existant.
21 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 3:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Camping Equipment Oxymorons
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions