2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Night shift anyone?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jcb Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 9:31 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the option of switching to the night shift. I currently work 830am-7pm Wed - Sat. Night shift would be 10pm-830am Mon-Thur.
    The night shift would give me more oppourtunities to go to the kids sporting events and school functions, allow me to be home for dinner every night, negate the need to pay for after school care and free up my Saturdays.
    On the other hand, the kids will have left for school before I get home, my wife and kids would be home alone at night, though we do have a dog,
    I would enjoy the work done on the night shift more than the day shift. Im a field network technician for a large cable company, so I drive the bucket truck and work on the main lines. At night we get to tear apart and rebuild stuff a lot more than we can do during the day. Plus, the is a $2.50/hr shift differential.
    Anyone here work the night shift. Any unforseen problems that arose?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My grandfather worked the night shift during part of my childhood.  I don't know quite how to describe how it affected him.  He took great pride in his misery, and that job thus gave him enormous satisfaction.
 Post Number: 3
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 9:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would you have the option of switching back if your body can't adjust? I have friends that absolutely love night shift and others that hate it. From what they say, the initial adjustment isn't *that* bad as long as you're working straight nights...shift work alternating nights/days is not fun.

It worked out well for my friends as long as they could get uninterrupted sleep during the day. With kids that can be tough, since they tend to not understand exactly why they shouldn't wake up a sleeping parent.

(Wouldn't worry about the wife and kids home alone at night, unless you're in a really unsafe area. You're still not more than a phone call away if something arises. Do consider, though, that sleeping at the same time as one's spouse has certain...benefits. :p )
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you do with any task that carries far into the night?  Personally, my body clock is set to daylight.  I am up with the sun, and seem to do much better in the Summer when the sun doesn't set until 9.  In the Winter, I get too drowsy about 8-9 PM.

In my younger days, I tried the graveyard shift, but I could never adjust my sleep patterns.  On my days off, I would try to sleep the same hours as the rest of the household instead of my work pattern.  This just resulted in body confusion.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
AnyaDogs Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 11:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Worked night shift for about a year when I was 26 or 27 and single. (engaged to soon to be hubby) At that time, I didn't have much trouble with adjusting to it. The big deal as mentioned before is if you can go back if you don't like it. And will an extra $2.50 an hour make up for the potential problems. Personally, I'd just about give my left arm to have Saturdays off. But, I work  retail and rarely get Saturdays off.

To me, the big deal is having the choice to go back. The only reason why I stopped third was because I quit the job. I liked third trick, no one else to deal with and plenty of time to contemplate life.

--------------
Bring a compass...It's awkward eating your friends.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked last night and tonight over night. Ive done it for up to a week at a time. Either way I have a 3 dsy weekend. The way I see it, when I work days I dont get home until 730. Kids have already eaten and there is only 1 hour before they have to go to bed. I cant go to any of their events on wednesday through saturday.
    I wouldnt be doing it for the extra money, but it is nice that its there. I really like the idea of being able to go to all their events. I got spoiled when I was out for 6 weeks after back surgery and I went to all their softball and baseball games. Being off Fri through Sunday would be better than Sunday through Tuesday.
    Others that I work with that have the night shift go back to a regular sleep schedule on their weekends.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked night shift for about five years total. Over time, I felt like I was being poisoned so I had to quit. I got sick more often and did not feel as rested when I slept.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've worked it before and I am supposed to be going to a 4 on, 4 off 12 hour night shift. I work an 8 hour evening shift now, and have for years. I missed my son growing up. I don't like graveyard, but I would work it to spend more time with family and friends.
I'm looking forward to getting time off on the 4 on, 4 off shift, but I'm dreading working graveyard too. Especially 12 hours of it. It just makes me feel like $#^!.
 Post Number: 9
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I am just interested in the Overtime pay for those of you who work 4 x 12s.  Since the Federal Labor laws require OT for more than 40 hrs a week, do they try to get around this, or are they just setting up everyone for OT pay?  Certainly makes it easier on HR to have only 4 sets of workers covering the job 24/7.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 2:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do 4 10s, dont know how they do it when its 4 12s.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been on night shift for the past 12 years (6PM to 6AM).  The only reason I'm on it is more money.  I work 2 days one week then 5 days the next week but I never work more than 3 days in a row.

After all these years the main draw back is the fact I can't sleep at night. :(

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 12
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked second shift for years and hated it. Went to another job and worked rotating shifts, 6 days on - 2 days off and going days, eves then mids. The place had several thousand employees so eves and mids were great for avoiding the traffic and crowds. Most of the time I didn't know what day it was. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 13
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jun. 18 2013, 11:52 pm)
I worked night shift for about five years total. Over time, I felt like I was being poisoned so I had to quit. I got sick more often and did not feel as rested when I slept.

Same here. I had a much easier time with rotating shifts than straight nights. After three weeks of nights I have been sick and lost all zest for life. Would probably be different if you are really motivated and excited by your job.
 Post Number: 14
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Worked nights covering for people on vacation. It's weird. Suns going down when you get to work. Maybe you get used to that though. After a couple days you start thinking that everyone else out there awake this time of day must be a serial killer. Tylenol PM and some good window shades.
 Post Number: 15
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 19 2013, 1:12 am)
So, I am just interested in the Overtime pay for those of you who work 4 x 12s.  Since the Federal Labor laws require OT for more than 40 hrs a week, do they try to get around this, or are they just setting up everyone for OT pay?  Certainly makes it easier on HR to have only 4 sets of workers covering the job 24/7.  

I'm not sure how that works Zeke. I haven't checked into it.
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great movie
 Post Number: 17
KaiWinters Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 3:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I work a swing shift, currently 8 hours daily, five days per week. I prefer the overnights as it seems a more quiet shift. Fewer management types mucking up the works, better parking, much cooler...I'm a lab tech in a paper mill and it gets roasty toasty in the summer months...

We never get our body clocks adjusted so sleep can be difficult. You have to be disciplined about it.
When on the overnights I'm in bed within an hour of getting home and read for half an hour before sleep. I close the blinds and windows using the ceiling fan and/or AC to keep the room cool and as dark as possible. I sometimes use over the counter sleep aids and find them helpful.

I prefer the overnights also as it gives me more time to spend with my wife, she is a day worker.
If we went to a fixed shift I'd opt for the overnights if I could not get the day shift.

--------------
Waking up is a great way to start your day...
 Post Number: 18
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Jun. 18 2013, 9:31 pm)
I have the option of switching to the night shift. I currently work 830am-7pm Wed - Sat. Night shift would be 10pm-830am Mon-Thur.
    The night shift would give me more oppourtunities to go to the kids sporting events and school functions, allow me to be home for dinner every night, negate the need to pay for after school care and free up my Saturdays.
    On the other hand, the kids will have left for school before I get home, my wife and kids would be home alone at night, though we do have a dog,
    I would enjoy the work done on the night shift more than the day shift. Im a field network technician for a large cable company, so I drive the bucket truck and work on the main lines. At night we get to tear apart and rebuild stuff a lot more than we can do during the day. Plus, the is a $2.50/hr shift differential.

I work night shift M-F at a wastewater plant and the advantages and disadvantages are as you have identified. Before going to graves, I was working swing shift and weekends and was relying on my wife's elderly parents for childcare. It was a no-brainer to take a 5% pay raise, have weekends off and be able to pick the kids up from school take them to dance or music lessons, etc. Its a small thing, perhaps, but being able to make dinner for my kids and eat with them is something I treasure. My wife works 6 days a week, long hours and comes home late. We'd be relying heavily on family members for, or paying a lot for, childcare if the opportunity to take a grave shift hadn't come along.

The price I pay for all of that is that the quantity and quality of sleep I get has suffered. Some people adjust better than others. I put myself in the middle. I can deal with it mentally, but it has a physical toll as well.
 Post Number: 19
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi JCB - I'm wondering what you decided to do.
I've been on nights, eves and dayshift. Started nights when the kids were little for the reasons you named. I thought it would be better. But in the end it was harder on everyone. It took a toll on my children's lives because I was so sleep deprived and grumpy.
Nightshift is not good for our bodies. Cancer, diabetes, obesity risk all go up in nightshift workers. Daytime sleep is not the same quality at all. And daytime people don't get it, and often don't respect your need for sleep like they should.
I've been back on nightshift for a long time again now, since all the kids are moved out. Just me and LG now. But he misses me at night when I work. I do it now for two reasons: better money and NO ADMINISTRATORS! I love that part best!
Here are my tips if you are doing nightshift:
1. Turn off all your phone ringers and doorbell!
2. Sleep in a blackened room. I sleep in the walkin closet (twin mattress fits perfect). It's dark and cozy and Scott can go in and out of the bedroom if he needs to without disturbing me.
3. I don't drink coffee after 3am when working - I sleep better.
4. I take benadryl and/or melatonin to sleep or I can't stay asleep.
5. Don't take lightly how important your sleep is. It is really important!!
I am very protective of my sleep. I work 7pm to 7am 3 nights a week. My first night back to work I get up early that morning, do a bunch of outside work to tire me out, take benadryl and get to sleep between 12 and 1. Sleep til about 5 when I have to get up and ready for work.
Good luck whatever you do.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees."   John Muir   1898
 Post Number: 20
kathirena Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My father and brother worked night shift for some time, and one of my friends' husband works night shift. Sleep schedule is off. Family sleep schedule affected. Eating habits change-usually in a negative fashion. Person who works nights...becomes a pale gray color with sad eyes. The body does not appreciate night shift.

--------------
I look at him more with envy than fear;
He seems not to know the depth nor the duration of his woe.
 Post Number: 21
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jcb @ Jun. 18 2013, 6:31 pm)

I work the night shift and love it. But I don't work too hard. I am at work right now.

You get away from most of the BS when working nights.

I "work" three long shifts, but only three nights per week. 1900-0800 hrs for three nights in a row.

My least favorite shift is the day shift.

When you work nights, you can throw your alarm clock away. All the rushing will end. Wake up when you want. If possible hit the sack as soon as you get home in the morning.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 22
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 08 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've worked graves for at least half of my 28 yr career at 911.  I did it especially when the kids were little. I never missed a ball game of my son's! I am a night owl so it wasn't too bad.  At 60 I try not to work past 1am anymore for health reasons tho.  My success in sleeping was darker room, eyeshades and ear plugs....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 23
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 4:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ndwoods @ Jul. 08 2013, 8:42 pm)
I've worked graves for at least half of my 28 yr career at 911.  I did it especially when the kids were little. I never missed a ball game of my son's! I am a night owl so it wasn't too bad.  At 60 I try not to work past 1am anymore for health reasons tho.  My success in sleeping was darker room, eyeshades and ear plugs....

I've worked nights for 14 years. And because of it, I have no desire to retire. I too am a night owl. Even when I was working days.

I too work at 9-1-1. But I am a radio systems technician. They want me here just in case things break. I do what I want while there are no complains, such as now.

I am almost 64, but hiking almost  every day keeps me in shape. And having no kids keeps me young. :D

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 24
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lamebeaver,

Remember something to the effect of: "No, no, wait a minute. Why not just feed mayonaise to the tuna?" Man, Michael Keaton was awesome, great movie indeed.

I don't like graveyard shift and haven't worked past 11PM in a lot of years. Like Zeke I like to wake with the sun and crash as early as I need to, between 9PM and 11PM usually. I like to start work very early and slack off mid afternoon or so if possible.

I however do not have children or a Mrs. so you've got to weigh the benefits and drawbacks yourself. Whatever you do keep your stick on the ice man.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 25
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 09 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I avoid any day shift/night shift problems by working 24 hour shifts. Makes it easier.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I decided against it mainly for worries about health and family conflicts.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
John Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 10 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 19 2013, 12:12 am)

I worked rotating shift work for 18 years and, yes, they do pay the 8 hours of OT when one works a 48 hour week.

As others have stated, over the years the "bad" sleep will take a toll on the body.  Since I retired and my sleep is now excellent, my diabetes numbers are much improved.
 Post Number: 28
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 6:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been working shifts since 1988.  I now work permanent nightshift from 7 pm to 7 am and love it!  I only work 7 out of 14 days and have 4 hours of built-in overtime every check.  I get a 3-day weekend every other week and that's the absolute best.

I've been working permanent nights for 3 years (12-hour shifts), and I use to rotate from days to night every 28 days.  That was okay; however, I would much rather work a permanent shift.

12-hour shifts are long; however, as much as they can be the occasional grind, I'd much rather work longer hours and have more time off.  I work with people with problems and it is really nice getting away from the BS that comes with dealing with people with problems.

Hope your decision works out for you, jcb...!!!

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 29
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 6:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(John @ Jul. 10 2013, 4:25 pm)
I worked rotating shift work for 18 years and, yes, they do pay the 8 hours of OT when one works a 48 hour week.

As others have stated, over the years the "bad" sleep will take a toll on the body.  Since I retired and my sleep is now excellent, my diabetes numbers are much improved.
IMO, rotating shifts are the worse and toughest of them all. I've done such too, but only for a few weeks.

I sleep  MUCH better in the morning. My favorite time to hit the sack has always been the first sign of light. It's 0340 hrs now and it's way too early for me to take a nap.

The only time this becomes an issue is when I go backpacking. Then, I want to wake up at my normal bed time. That's difficult for me to do, so I try to adjust a couple of days before leaving. I have trouble readjusting to a day shift, but I find it easy to readjust to my normal night shift.

I only need around 5 hours of sleep per 24 hours. I never set an alarm clock. I hate those things.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
28 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 9:31 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Night shift anyone?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions