2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What brought down TWA Flight 800?, Group wants investigation reopened< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 8:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

According to the radio today, one of those urging the re-opening of the case was the former lead FBI agent who claims evidence was altered and fabricated:

http://www.latimes.com/news....5.story

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brad:

Per the article you linked -- "Tom Stalcup, a coproducer of the documentary to be aired on the cable TV premium channel Epix next month....".

Impeccable timing.  I am hoping this is nothing but a self-serving publicity stunt.  The alternative outcome is too depressing and scary...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4 yrs of investigation.  Some of the team doesn't like the group final findings, which took 2 days to hammer out in committee.  Not surprisingly, there are some out there that will try to profit off of the uncertainty.  

Official report is an electrical current caused a fire within the fuel tanks.  until someone comes up with something better, that is what brought down the flight.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 5:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought we already knew that our navy "accidentaly" launched a missel at it??

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The next thing you know, they'll be trying to dig up Jimmy Hoffa...
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 7:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They might even try to match DNA on bone fragments in Russia that claim to be Hitler.

And that is just the beginning if ratings jump!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 19 2013, 9:35 pm)
4 yrs of investigation.  Some of the team doesn't like the group final findings, which took 2 days to hammer out in committee.  Not surprisingly, there are some out there that will try to profit off of the uncertainty.  

Official report is an electrical current caused a fire within the fuel tanks.  until someone comes up with something better, that is what brought down the flight.  

736 eye witnesses saw a missile lift off the sea, including a highly decorated Vietnam-era pilot who was flying a helo in the area. He described the streak that came off the sea and hit TWA 800 as looking exactly like what he experienced being shot at over Vietnam.

That's just some of the evidence given for a missle strike, including explosives residue unaccountably in seat foam on board.

I'm no conspiracy theorist and don't own a tinfoil hat... there's just too much that is fishy about this whole thing. Also given an ELAL 747 was lined up to take off right behind 800...

--------------
 Post Number: 8
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think that it is unlikely that anyone, especially our government could keep such a secret for long.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jun. 20 2013, 8:59 am)
I think that it is unlikely that anyone, especially our government could keep such a secret for long.

It would appear that failure may be imminent.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jun. 20 2013, 5:40 am)

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 19 2013, 9:35 pm)

736 eye witnesses saw a missile lift off the sea, including a highly decorated Vietnam-era pilot who was flying a helo in the area. He described the streak that came off the sea and hit TWA 800 as looking exactly like what he experienced being shot at over Vietnam.

That's just some of the evidence given for a missle strike, including explosives residue unaccountably in seat foam on board.

I'm no conspiracy theorist and don't own a tinfoil hat... there's just too much that is fishy about this whole thing. Also given an ELAL 747 was lined up to take off right behind 800...

The report covers all possibilities.  If there was a missile fired at the plane by a terrorist, how come no one has taken credit?  It could not have been our own Navy, because no one can guarantee the silence of the hundreds of sailors involved.  I cannot understand how 736 people thought they saw something that didn't happen, yet there is no evidence of a missile attack.

Explosive residue has been explained.  The plane in question had been used to train dogs to detect various explosives.  Documents show exactly where that residue had been placed.

People will believe what they want about this whole thing, and I am not accusing anyone of being a conspiracist.  The documentary only shows the side they wish to present, and ignores the evidence used to discredit those theories.  

I see no advantage of a false report.  The FBI and the NTSB have no reason to hush up a missile attack by any source.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jun. 20 2013, 7:59 am)

Exactly. If they could, most of us wouldn't know what Watergate was.

I'm curious to know what "radar data" they have that suggests an "external explosion."

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 20 2013, 10:00 am)
People will believe what they want about this whole thing, and I am not accusing anyone of being a conspiracist.  The documentary only shows the side they wish to present, and ignores the evidence used to discredit those theories.  

+1 a whole bunch of times.

It is amazing how people cannot accept ground truth, no matter how much evidence there is, in order to introduce a more complicated conspiracy.

I see no advantage of a false report.  The FBI and the NTSB have no reason to hush up a missile attack by any source.

If you are of the mindset that the government is out to getcha, then you can believe that such a falsified report would be produced.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The government wasn't ready to go to war on terror(oil) over a lone wolf terrorism act. They wanted to wait till 9/11
 Post Number: 14
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would like to know why they keep changing the technology on the newer planes. The old 747's have a 50 yr proven track record. Their electrical systems are proven and whatever potential short circuits or fire hazards were discovered and corrected 30 yrs ago. So why would they disregard a well understood electrical system and replace it with something new and semiexperimental? To me that is the real story.
That is more likely the cause, at least the TSA thought so.
 Post Number: 15
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jun. 20 2013, 1:02 pm)
The government wasn't ready to go to war on terror(oil) over a lone wolf terrorism act. They wanted to wait till 9/11

Lone wolf terrorist?  How did this lone wolf take down an airliner flying at 16,000 ft?

Are you even aware that shoulder fired missiles are limited to 10,000 ft AGL?  And that such misslie systems require two operators?
 Post Number: 16
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:00 am)
I would like to know why they keep changing the technology on the newer planes. The old 747's have a 50 yr proven track record. Their electrical systems are proven and whatever potential short circuits or fire hazards were discovered and corrected 30 yrs ago. So why would they disregard a well understood electrical system and replace it with something new and semiexperimental? To me that is the real story.
That is more likely the cause, at least the TSA thought so.

The old steam engine -- perfected over decades -- became very well understood.  Imagine if folks back then got too  comfortable and stopped innovating (i.e. tinkering and messing around).   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Jun. 21 2013, 2:00 pm)
I would like to know why they keep changing the technology on the newer planes.

Why?  Because techology constantly changes.  Very few people use 10 yr old cars, much less 50 yr old ones.  They don't just wear out.  They become obsolete.

The old 747's have a 50 yr proven track record.
Indeed.  And that track record proved improvements are REQUIRED.  Airworthiness Directives (ADs) have made extensive changes to those 50 yr old airplanes' avionics systems, fuel systems, electrical systems, lighting systems, icing systems. and even insulation blankets.

Their electrical systems are proven and whatever potential short circuits or fire hazards were discovered and corrected 30 yrs ago.
You are dead wrong.  USAF operates some of the oldest 747s (E-4Bs and VC-25s) and ADs are still being incorporated that update and modify the electrical and FQIS (Fuel Quantity Indiating Ssytem) wiring of those aircraft.  There have been SEVERAL fuel tank fires that have destroyed aircraft.  Fortunately most were on the ground.  TWA 800 sadly was in the air.

So why would they disregard a well understood electrical system and replace it with something new and semiexperimental?
Semiexperimental?!!  You appear to be unfamiliar with aircraft certification processes.
 Post Number: 18
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Semiexperimental?!!  You appear to be clueless about aircraft certification processes.

Aren't most people?  I am.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(LuketheDrifter @ Jun. 21 2013, 2:43 pm)
Semiexperimental?!!  You appear to be clueless about aircraft certification processes.

Aren't most people?  I am.

OK.  Then FYI, "semi experimental" systems, processes, and materials don't get into FAR Part 121 (commercial air carrier) certified aircraft.

Also FYI, keeping an aircraft's FAR Part 121 certficate and the operators's Part 125 Certificate current requires CONSTANT updates and  upgrades in addition to normal maintenance.  The airframe may be 50 yrs old, but the various systems (especially the electronic ones) in it are not.

I would recommend a person get some basic understanding of the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) before speculating about conspiracy theories regarding crashed airliners.
 Post Number: 20
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jun. 21 2013, 2:25 pm)
There have been SEVERAL fuel tank fires that have destroyed aircraft.  Fortunately most were on the ground.  TWA 800 sadly was in the air.

A point that the conspiracy nuts are determined to ignore.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tomas @ Jun. 21 2013, 3:03 pm)

(KenV @ Jun. 21 2013, 2:25 pm)
There have been SEVERAL fuel tank fires that have destroyed aircraft.  Fortunately most were on the ground.  TWA 800 sadly was in the air.

A point that the conspiracy nuts are determined to ignore.

Well of course.  That would spoil the conspiracy.
 Post Number: 22
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, most of the airframe was recovered. Pretty easy to tell if it was a air to air or ground to air missile.
It would also be easy to tell if it was high explosive from inside the aircraft. I think someone has the tin foil a little to tight.

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jun. 20 2013, 8:40 am)
736 eye witnesses saw a missile lift off the sea,

With all due respect, that is utterly false.

There were a total of 736 witnesses.  Of those, only 258 saw a "streak of light", almost all of them saying it was going DOWN.  Only 38 stated the streak was going UP.  Only 18 of the 38 reported seeing the streak originate from the surface of the water or the horizon.  Later testing showed that the 18 witnesses could NOT have seen a missile.  A surface to air missile booster motor is visible for only a few seconnds as it accelerates.  After that the sustainer rocket motor ignites and the rocket motor is NOT visible.  In short, it would have been impossible to see a missile streak from the ocean to the aircraft.  For most of the missile's flight the motor is simply not visible.

I'm no conspiracy theorist and don't own a tinfoil hat... there's just too much that is fishy about this whole thing.
With respect, the most "fishy"part are the utterly false "facts" in your post.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(3-gun. @ Jun. 21 2013, 3:54 pm)
Well, most of the airframe was recovered. Pretty easy to tell if it was a air to air or ground to air missile.
It would also be easy to tell if it was high explosive from inside the aircraft. I think someone has the tin foil a little to tight.

Even the most rabid of the conspiracy theorists acknowledged the Center Wing Tank ignited and exploded.  The only question is what ignited it?  Most of them insist it was a missile fragment.  A few insist it was an external bomb.  Both were conclusively proven wrong.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ken, you sound pretty confident... more so than the lead NTSB investigator. Me, I'm not quite as confident and share some of the lead investigator's doubts. Nothing set in concrete, just doubts.

Yeah, my "facts" are mostly from memory, and since I turned 52 today, maybe my memory isn't what it was.

I followed the issue a lot through the 90's and early 2000's and haven't thought about it much for a long time.

My thought's are not set in stone, just that I've never seen a crash with more discrepancies.

Airline crashes were always an interesting topic for me growing up.

I'll give my dad a jingle in the next couple of days and get his current take. He flew the EXACT (the actual/same serial no) 747 that blew up over Long Island multiplied dozens of times... he retired a 747 Captain for TWA.

I'd add he retired with 24,000 hrs under his belt. He lost 3 good friends on 800, two of which were at his house for dinner the night before the crash where they both (obviously) lost their lives.

At the time he said the FAA/NTSB/FBI findings struck him as complete bullchit. Haven't talked about it for a long time but I'll be curious to hear his current thoughts...

I'll post them here if anyone is interested in someone with better than armchair expertise.

Like I said, I just thought it was interesting that folks at the center of the investigation are starting to come forward with their doubts 17 years later...

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm convinced KenV did it and is trying to cover it up.

:p

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 21 2013, 5:45 pm)
I'm convinced KenV did it and is trying to cover it up.

:p

Typical terrorist...

--------------
 Post Number: 28
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like I said, I just thought it was interesting that folks at the center of the investigation are starting to come forward with their doubts 17 years later...

You do note however, that they come "forward" only as part of a TV production??

I understand that the money is good, and easy, but why would a professional be driven to that level of greed and self aggrandizement?

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jun. 21 2013, 9:46 pm)
I understand that the money is good, and easy, but why would a professional be driven to that level of greed and self aggrandizement?

Pretty stout judgement... not sure how you have the information to make that judgement...

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I understand that the self-satisfaction is good, and easy, but why would a poster be driven to that level of hubris and self aggrandizement?

--------------
39 replies since Jun. 19 2013, 8:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What brought down TWA Flight 800?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions