2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best Website For Weather, Weather< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OutdoorUnion Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any good websites to use for weather.   I will be in the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area next week.  Just trying to take a look at the forecast.  

I know hard to predict weather in the mountains.   But never a bad idea to have a starting point.

--------------
www.outdoorunion.weebly.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 12:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

weather.gov    or the noaa site direct....all you could want
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, I like the NOAA site.

But on Accuweather , you can pick up longer forecasts.  Next week in Story looks like 80* days, 55* nights.  No rain, bright sun.  Weather closer to Cloud Peak will be a bit cooler.  Might not drop to freezing, but I would be prepared for it anyway.

Cloud Peak weather  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 1:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

National Weather Service zeroed in on Cloud Peak itself. Zeroed in on trailhead.
Best there is.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use several different ones together including the National Weather Service, Weatherspark.com, NWAC, and weather.forecast.gov.

I start watching weather patterns, humidity, upcoming storms, and temps several weeks ahead of time so I have at least an idea of what we'll be getting.

Even then, I still prepare for the worst possible outcome. Even on the warmest trip in the Cascades, I bring enough clothing/equipment to keep me comfortable in single digits and able to handle the worst of storms.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 6
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 1:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's my approach to weather sites. If anyone can correct me, feel free to do so, because it's worth investigating from my perspective:
  • When we refer to weather.gov, National Weather Service, or NOAA, we are really referring to the same source. The branching of agencies is like this:
      Department of Commerce -->
      NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) -->
      National Weather Service (NWS, or weather.gov)

• Most weather sites use the same data in bulk feed from the National Weather Service and NOAA. The main difference between weather sites is not the data presented but the forecast graphics used to present that same data. There is an unlimited variety in how winds, temperatures, humidity, precipitation, cloud cover and so on can be presented in graphics. When one of us gets accustomed to the graphics and user interface of any particular site, we may favor it over other sites.

However we are still viewing NWS and NOAA data. Some sites include climate averages in the forecast graphics. With NWS and NOAA, you may have to look further than the immediate pages. And that may be the greatest asset those other sites have over NWS. I use the Western Regional Climate Center together with the NWS.

• Except for the National Weather Service, other weather sites require a Zip Code, for which there is none for specific wilderness locations. This is the biggest advantage of the National Weather Service. It provides spot forecasts which include higher peaks, trailheads, trail or route locations and so on. All you have to do is click on the map. For my use, this advantage of the NWS outweighs any disadvantage it may or may not have in forecast graphics or easily found broad climate information.
As others have suggested, you can use other weather sites in conjunction with the NWS, but to me, the NWS is the main site and hub of my interest. I never leave it out of my plans. The others I generally can do without.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

TravisNWood-

One of the guys on the trip called out and talked to the ranger station.  They told him that the snow amounts will not allow a hike up Cloud Peak?Looking at NOAA. I read a different story.  

I drove through the Big Horns this past week.  Started in Rapid City then over to Cody and it looked like there is a decent amount of snow left?

--------------
 Post Number: 8
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OutdoorUnion @ Jun. 21 2013, 9:10 pm)
TravisNWood-

One of the guys on the trip called out and talked to the ranger station.  They told him that the snow amounts will not allow a hike up Cloud Peak? Looking at NOAA. I read a different story. . . .

If I were driving all the way from Minnesota or Wisconsin, and I could only get a quarter mile from the summit of Cloud Peak, I'd figure it was still an adventure worth the effort.

In the thread on this hike that you began, many of us explained that the date makes your prospects uncertain -- even now. There's no way around that.

No weather site can erase all uncertainty.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Downloaded the NOAA Hi Def radar app for iPhone and added the fire map layer.  Of course there's these things called "clouds" as I look out the window :D

The general climate is rain after July 4 possibly going into Labor Day, so daily variances are nice to track but I plan months ahead based on historic avg.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I stay with the government sites.  They have nothing riding on the forecast and try to be as accurate as possible.  The commercial sites and the news sites--while they do use the govt data--are prone to sensationalism.  Those are generally the worst case scenario fearcasts if there is a potential weather event showing in the models.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 11
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want long term weather, visit weatherbase.com

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I could care less about getting to the top of cloud peak.  I would rather be standing in a stream fishing or sitting glassing for elk.   I am just looking forward to experiencing country I have not ventured into before.    

It terms of weather and snow.   I am just trying to make sure I have packed the right equipment and ready for what we could encounter.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OutdoorUnion @ Jun. 22 2013, 7:53 pm)
. . . It terms of weather and snow.   I am just trying to make sure I have packed the right equipment and ready for what we could encounter.

You could get a few inches of wet, sloppy snow. Weather radar has shown that for higher elevations off and on in the last few days. I would plan for that until last minute forecasts tell you otherwise.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 14
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jun. 22 2013, 10:00 am)
I stay with the government sites.  They have nothing riding on the forecast and try to be as accurate as possible.  The commercial sites and the news sites--while they do use the govt data--are prone to sensationalism.  Those are generally the worst case scenario fearcasts if there is a potential weather event showing in the models.

I tend to agree, especially regarding the newscast reporting elements of the forecasts. That's something government sites don't indulge in.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 15
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is only one source of weather info in the US, NOAA.

Everything else just leaches their data. Accuweather, The Weather Channel, your local news channels just serve up NOAA's details, but water down their "tech speak ", the really good details, and hype any chance of real weather.

But in any event, there's no source of weather info anywhere,  that will give you even a 50/50% accurate forecast in the Rockies.

Plan for snow, hope for sun.

This is where the real weather reports appear.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RIVERTON WY
349 PM MDT SAT JUN 22 2013

.SHORT TERM...TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY

HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS OVER THE REGION TONIGHT WITH MOSTLY CLEAR AND
COOL CONDITIONS. INCREASING SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW ALOFT BY SUNDAY
AFTERNOON...WHICH SHOULD RESULT IN BREEZY SURFACE WINDS ACROSS MOST
OF THE FORECAST AREA. ENOUGH MOISTURE SHOULD GENERATE ISOLATED
SHOWERS OR THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE HIGHER MOUNTAINS BY LATE
AFTERNOON. SUNDAY TEMPERATURES WILL BE WARM AND AROUND NORMAL.

.LONG TERM...SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY

CONFLUENT FLOW AND A HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD INTO
THE AREA FOR FAIR WEATHER SUNDAY NIGHT. THEN ANOTHER WELL DEFINED
SHORTWAVE WILL BE TRACKING NORTHEAST ACROSS WYOMING MONDAY THROUGH
TUESDAY RESULTING IN SHOWERS AND LATE DAY THUNDERSTORMS IN NORTHWEST
WYOMING. IN THE MEANTIME ON THE SOUTH AND WEST SIDE OF THIS
TROUGH...HOT...DRY AND BREEZY WEATHER CAN BE EXPECTED MONDAY FOR
LIKELY CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS FROM RKS TO RIW TO BYG AND
POINTS SOUTH AND EAST. THEN FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK THE RELATIVELY
FLAT RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUCKLE WITH THE HIGH CENTER
MIGRATING FROM TEXAS EARLY IN THE WEEK TO THE 4 CORNERS AREA BY THE
END OF THE WEEK AS THE HIGH BUCKLES. THIS WILL CREATE THE RING OF
FIRE WITH SOME THUNDERSTORMS CIRCULATING CLOCKWISE AROUND THE
ROUNDED PERIPHERY OF THE HIGH WHICH WILL MAINLY AFFECT THE MOUNTAINS
EAST OF THE DIVIDE. MONDAY SHOULD BE THE HOTTEST DAY OF THE WEEK
WITH SOME AREAS APPROACHING OR EXCEEDING 90 DEGREES EAST OF THE
DIVIDE WITH 80S FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK.

&&

.AVIATION.../00Z ISSUANCE/

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS CONTINUE TO MOVE OUT OF THE FORECAST
AREA EARLY THIS EVENING. CLEARING WILL FOLLOW WITH VFR CONDITIONS
FOR TONIGHT. MORE DISCUSSION WILL FOLLOW IN THE NEXT AVIATION
UPDATE FOR WEST CENTRAL WYOMING.

&&

.FIRE WEATHER...

DRY...BREEZY CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED TONIGHT AND SUNDAY.
HIGH RELATIVE HUMIDITY WILL OCCUR ACROSS MOST OF JOHNSON AND
NATRONA COUNTIES DUE TO RECENT RAINFALL FROM THUNDERSTORMS.
OTHERWISE...MOSTLY DRY AND WARMER THE NEXT FEW DAYS WITH VERY
GOOD SMOKE DISPERSAL DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING HOURS.

&&

.RIW WATCHES/WARNINGS/ADVISORIES...NONE.
&&

$$

SHORT TERM...KPL
LONG TERM...LIPSON
AVIATION...LAVOIE
FIRE WEATHER...KPL

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 16
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few lesser known weather URL's I've found handy.

Long range precip. FWIW it spotted Flagstaff's second biggest snowstorm ever 10 days out a few years back

http://wxmaps.org/pix/prec1.html

Ditto for temps, unusual warm spells or cold fronts

http://wxmaps.org/pix/temp1.html

Precip quantified for near term, in six hour modules several days out

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/qpf2.shtml
15 replies since Jun. 20 2013, 11:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best Website For Weather
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions