2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the Super Moon< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big full Moon this weekend.  Tonight a couple of us will night backpack into Desolation Wilderness starting about 9pm from Wrights Lake Trailhead up to Twin Lakes that is about 1000 feet and 2 miles.   Have permit Will travel.   Clear skies and upper 40F temps.   Pack for this weekend is rather light given little food, with carrying weight only 59 pounds.   One of the most smoothly glaciated granite areas of the Sierra so am expecting to have a fun time navigating sans headlamp most of the way up wide areas of granite slabs.   But my Fenix HP11 with its 277 lumen max will be ready.   Also am bringing a 5mw red laser and 5mw green laser for added amusements.    So if you see a green spot on the Moon...

Moon rises at 6:50pm PDT in that area and by time we start it will have risen up to about 20 degrees altitude in the east.   Sunday sunrise is at 5:35am PDT with moonset 5:37am.  The lakes have unblocked views to the west so tomorrow we will camp on the east side of lower Twin Lake where I will set up a tripod for dawn across the waters to capture a reflection of the Moon in warm sunlight and dawn sky colors.  The unknown is the amount of early clouds from an approaching cold front which if thick could block the Moon or if scattered and catching warm light could be the Super Moon.

http://news.yahoo.com/super-f....SnQtDMD

To calculate when and exactly where the Moon will rise and set:

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/AltAz.php

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's actually only 7% larger than the average full moon (14% larger than an apogee full moon), but if it gets people outside and looking up, it's all good.

I'll be out with the scouts.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a spectacular trip. :)  Have fun!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a good night hike. Have fun. Night hikes are the best from my experience.

So much light from the moon, I might have to wear sunglasses er...moonglasses.

Also am bringing a 5mw red laser and 5mw green laser for added amusements.    So if you see a green spot on the Moon...

And thanks for clearing up my theory on red and green spots on the moon. I know now that the moon's current inhabitants are not using LED flashlights . . . yet.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 5
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You wouldn't even need a headlamp to camp on a night like this

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always hate bright moons like this.  From the front porch, I can see the things moving in the graveyard across the road.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

n/m

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 2:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a nice big moon in Ridgecrest.  I saw a coyote in the hotel parking lot a little earlier.  The snakes are all hiding.
 Post Number: 9
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jun. 22 2013, 12:52 am)
. . . I saw a coyote in the hotel parking lot a little earlier. . . .

Left to fend for itself because of a mixup in its reservations?

Nothing but clouds here last night — some of which were preoccupied with dropping up to 4½-inch-diameter hail in the mountains. So, superhail but no supermoon for my area.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 10
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I took a group on a night hike through a local forest - perfect clear sky. At times moonlight shining through the trees onto the forest floor looked like a sunbeam.  And on the forest road we could see out shadows as if we standing under a street light.

As an added bonus it was fire fly Friday as they light up the night with their constant blinking.

Two of us spent stayed over in my hammocks and slept well in the cool of the woods.  I was smart enough to bring my anti-gravity chair.  If the skeeters weren't out I would have just slept in it.

Post Number: 11
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We climbed Mt. Baden-Powell, watched the Supermoon rise, and slept atop :)  'Twas awesome!   I'm working on the Trip Report now...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 12
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sunday morning as dawn rose dimly over the crest of Desolation Wilderness I noticed the sound of breezes in pines so I would not be getting up to make a serious image of the setting Moon.  Instead a half hour later poked my head outside the tent and noticed the Moon was above a ridge to the west it would soon set below.  Also there was a thick band of clouds that was an approaching storm that would bring light rain to the Sierra by late morning.  

Conveniently I was tented on a granite sand flat with an open view 60 miles west to Sacramento that had been distant lights Saturday evening.  So put my Canon SX130 on a Gorillapod, still in my warm bag stretched to place it right outside the tent door at ground level, adjusted settings, selected the 10 second timer, and at 5:40am PDT as the rising Sun red light wavelengths reached those clouds, took a few shots including this modest pic just before it set into the murk of denser clouds.

Oh yeah Friday evening we were on the route by 9:20pm.  Temp upper 40F's Super Moon but used headlamp all the way.  Lost trail in bedrock glacial slabs for a quarter mile which was not an issue.  Stopping a lot on every waist high boulder or log along the trail per my style, reached lower Twin Lake just before midnight. Didn't bother setting up my UL1 instead just put my Pinnacle  atop a ground sheet.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 13
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 3:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jun. 21 2013, 10:47 pm)
You wouldn't even need a headlamp to camp on a night like this

You're right. We didn't.

Nice photo, Dave.

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
12 replies since Jun. 21 2013, 2:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply the Super Moon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions