2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: South Fork, Colorado Fires< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 3:59 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody got eyes on the scene?

Maybe someone who has been evacuated and watching the development?

I just looked at a list of 15 fires currently burning in Colorado.  I knew it was going to be bad, but this just boggles the mind.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not there, but have been keeping up with the news. I live in Colorado Springs; the Black Forest Fire is finally 100% contained.

The South Fork Fire is huge - 30,000 acres so far. News reports say there is a low-to-moderate chance of saving the small town  :(

Colorado Springs has been socked in by all the smoke from the various wildfires. The smoky air is the worst I have ever seen.

Here's a news link about the SOuth Fork Fire:
http://kdvr.com/2013....olorado

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Jun. 21 2013, 2:14 pm)
I'm not there, but have been keeping up with the news......

The South Fork Fire is huge - 30,000 acres so far. News reports say there is a low-to-moderate chance of saving the small town  :( ......

Here's a news link about the South Fork Fire:
http://kdvr.com/2013....olorado

Thanks for the link !

There's so many fires going on right now it's been hard to keep track of the ones not directly effecting me, but the photos in you link are incredible. I was a few miles from last years, High Park Fire, that would grow 15-20,000 ac a day in it's explosions , but I've never seen fire columns that high.

To quote from your link

“The fire behavior we saw yesterday (Thursday) was so extreme, it was undocumented and unprecedented,” said Fire Behavior Analyst Eric Norton.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A town I was just working out of ONE WEEK ago...

Goddammit, man.

I'm heading back that-a-way as we speak. Here's a picture of it in its 'infancy':

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had 5" of rain on Wednesday and have had a couple of inches since.  Wish I could send you a few!

The predictions for this fire season are frightening!

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now we know what hell looks like.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the most recent account I have found, with many of the pictures posted by Rem, and couple of videos that were shown on 9 News.

What a disaster for the people living along the Rio Grande.  I love this country and have spent many weeks there over the past 30 years, so sad to see this situation develop.  Hope everyone stays safe and gets out when the fire advances.

http://www.9news.com/news....th-Fork

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
hikingodS Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live about 80-90 miles, as the crow flies, NW of the fire and there is a tall, boiling, white column of smoke visible rising above the San Juans tonight (and last night).  During the day, the wind carries the plume away (apparently to smother Colo. Spgs.).  We are very lucky, so far, that it isn't smokey here....
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:32 pm)
This is the most recent account I have found, with many of the pictures posted by Rem, and couple of videos that were shown on 9 News.

What a disaster for the people living along the Rio Grande.  I love this country and have spent many weeks there over the past 30 years, so sad to see this situation develop.  Hope everyone stays safe and gets out when the fire advances.

http://www.9news.com/news....th-Fork

I think you're mistaken about me being the pictures poster...I only had 1 to contribute.

I'm in Alamosa right now, just drove through 20-30 miles of sinister smoke. I am heading west soon and likely will have some intense photos, though.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 10
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WoW... reminds me of some of the fires here in the early 2000's...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 11
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of those photos look like a nuclear holocaust

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still going strong. Still red sun and moon west of Alamosa. Smoke was bad today. I think t-storms are coming soon, though!!

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great, sad picture, Rem.  Thanks for sharing.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Four days straight of monsoonal activity. Yesterday was a veritable regional downpour! That should slow down the West Fork, and hopefully start to eliminate the Windy Pass fire, which is very close to where I'm based. I botanized the Windy Pass area before that fire got out of hand.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the Windy Pass fire on day 1 of the monsoon.

--------------
15 replies since Jun. 21 2013, 3:59 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply South Fork, Colorado Fires
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions