2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: a friend burned a hole in my tent, what should I do?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
crowTrobot Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:43 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I came here to get an honest impartial opinion about what is right in this situation.  hopefully you guys can help because we can't seem to agree.

I went camping with a friend a couple weeks ago (in the rockies west of Denver), and we both knew it would be near freezing.  We were spending the first night by the car because we got there late, but considering hiking in somewhere for the next night, so I had all my backpacking gear with me.

I slept the night in the back of my truck on an air mattress, and he was planning to just use his bivy.  After midnight when we were getting to bed he realized that between his winter bag, layers of clothes, and maybe a few pounds since he last used the bivy: he didn't fit in the bivy, and he was in for a very cold night.

At this point I cannot honestly say if I offered him my tent or if he requested it, but he definitely asked me for a hat, and I gave him a fleece to wrap around his head.

Regardless, I gave him my brand new (I still have the box and receipt, and had only ever used it for two nights) Kelty tent ($120 on amazon) to use for the night.

In the morning when I was packing it up, I noticed a 1/2 inch burn right through the tent floor and the tarp underneath.  I was pissed.

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION:  what is his responsibility in this situation?  he thinks he should just patch the tent.  I think he should either 1) take the burned tent and buy me a new one or 2) pay me the difference to buy a new one after I sell the burned one.

So what is the right thing to do in this situation?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My opinion: he should buy you a new tent.

(edit: If I burned or damaged a friend's new tent, I would buy them a new one, no discussion about it. They wouldn't have to ask. That's just how I am).

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How much is your friendship worth?

Patch the tent.
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How did the burn take place?  Was it intentional?  Was it a simple, quick mistake that could happen to anyone?  Was he doing something that you might have been doing yourself, had you been in his place in the tent?

Why wont a simple patch make the tent just as useable as if the hole had never been there??  The new tent was soon not to be new anyway, we get gear to use and to wear out.  I have one tent from the 70s with two or three patches and it still serves very well, not quite as good as it was 40 years ago but still useable and easier to set up than most of the new ones.

What is your level of OCD??  Gotta have things perfect, or just enjoy what works?

How hard will it be to replace this ex-friend, now that you have really pissed him off and shamed him?

You need to search out the answer to lots of questions, and decide what works for you.

Personally, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but that's just me.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 21 2013, 4:49 pm)

Patch the tent.

+1
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Jun. 21 2013, 4:56 pm)
How did the burn take place?  Was it intentional?  Was it a simple, quick mistake that could happen to anyone?  Was he doing something that you might have been doing yourself, had you been in his place in the tent?

he had, in his words "8 oz. of whiskey and 4 beers" at 10,000 feet.  Otherwise he was doing something I might have done in the tent (and happens to be legal in Colorado), he was just very clumsy about it.

Im sure I will just end up patching the tent.  Im not going to let it ruin our friendship, but I do think it would be appropriate for him to buy a new one.  Anyway, I'll just think twice before I lend him anything again...  thank you guys for the input
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A patch will return the tent to FULL function so there's absolutely no reason for anyone to purchase a new one in compensation.

At issue being responsibility I'd say he has to spring for a professional sewn patch job, but that's probably an easy remedy from your local REI. Even though had I done a hole in the floor of something of mine I'd just clean up the edges and put a Tenacious Tape patch on both the inside and outside. It comes in clear so even the aesthetics wouldn't be compromised.

Patch tape:
http://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape

I've taped square corner tears on parkas and by being very careful the patch went on a surface that had ZERO wrinkles and with all corners rounded to lessen the tendency of corners to start to peal back from their too narrow vulnerable point I've had some last over a decade with no issue.
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tell him to use a pipe next time instead of rolling his own. Lessens the risk substantially.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Brownies. A two-fer.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 21 2013, 5:31 pm)
Tell him to use a pipe next time instead of rolling his own. Lessens the risk substantially.

lol, he did use a pipe, he was just wasted so he passed out and dropped it... at least thats what my CSI skills tell me.
 Post Number: 11
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds like a low fuel drug run with 7Horse.

Low fuel drug run
Baby we can have fun
Twin sisters in the back
Messin' up my Cadillac
Nothin' says summer like an afternoon drunk
I didn't have the keys so I put her in the trunk

6 bottles of whiskey and a bottle of wine

Post Number: 12
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If he didn't offer to replace the tent, you need a better friend.  If a "friend" isn't decent enough to do what is right, is he really a friend?
I wouldn't ask him to replace the tent, but he would never go with me again.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 13
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(crowTrobot @ Jun. 21 2013, 3:37 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 21 2013, 5:31 pm)

lol, he did use a pipe, he was just wasted so he passed out and dropped it... at least thats what my CSI skills tell me.

Freak accident then. I mean, who could have ever imagined that smoking at bed time would cause a guy to nod off? ???

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 14
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 6:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Jun. 21 2013, 1:49 pm)
If I burned or damaged a friend's new tent, I would buy them a new one, no discussion about it. They wouldn't have to ask. That's just how I am.

+1

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 21 2013, 1:49 pm)

Patch the tent.

+1

In other words, it's one of those situations where it would be nice and noble if your friend offers to replace your tent... but if he doesn't, there's no good way to broach the subject -- if you want to keep the friendship healthy and happy.  Patch it up -- your tent will still be 100% functional.  Just don't lend him anything expensive next time.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 15
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patch the tent.

+2

If I burned it, I'd offer to replace the tent. If it were my tent, I'd patch it. Don't ask me about the logic here... :D
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's not new. It was used...once. You take a bit of risk when you loan out equipment. I would treat it like most warranties - Repair or replace.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 17
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patch the tent.

Perhaps he should be asking how much your freindship is worth.

If it can be properly patched, then patch it.  If not, he should spring for a new tent.  Of course, he gets the damaged one in that case.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After strangling the crap out of your friend ask him what you would like him to do. EX. "You are going to replace that tent aren't you?"
 Post Number: 19
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a repair shop in Boulder.  I do not recall the name, but check with Neptune's, they will know.  Take the tent there for a professional repair job and have your friend pay for it.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 20
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I just want to note that most tent fabrics sacrifice fire-proofness to water-proofness, and he's lucky that things didn't turn out a great deal worse.  Smoking in the tent seems to me a bad idea all around.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:38 pm)
And I just want to note that most tent fabrics sacrifice fire-proofness to water-proofness, and he's lucky that things didn't turn out a great deal worse.  Smoking in the tent seems to me a bad idea all around.

My understanding is that tent fabrics legally need to be treated for fire retardancy.  A friend like this is why we can't buy tents made with eVENT -- a waterproof yet eminently breathable fabric.   Fire retardancy treatment would simply defeat the purpose.  Our nanny state dictates we do all sacrifice our freedom of choice -- so a stupid drunk doesn't have to pay the full consequence of his action.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 22
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:49 pm)

(RebeccaD @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:38 pm)

My understanding is that tent fabrics legally need to be treated for fire retardancy.  Friends like this is why we can't find tents made with eVENT.   ???

Well, I'm sure they are to some degree.  But all mine have warnings about open flame.  And I have to wonder about our tents with sylnylon, which I have been told is not fire retardant at all.  Still, I wouldn't smoke in bed at home or in the tent.

Of course, I wouldn't smoke at all.  There are ways to deal with that legal substance that don't involve putting smoke in the lungs :D (Plus: chocolate!)

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 23
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A "friend" would man up to you the next morning , tell you what happened, and pay for the repairs at the least, or offer to buy you a new tent.

If you're having to ask this question here, on how to confront him, he's not a friend.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 24
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Patch it.  You'll never suffer from it and you can always kid him about it.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Jun. 21 2013, 7:00 pm)
A "friend" would man up to you the next morning , tell you what happened, and pay for the repairs at the least, or offer to buy you a new tent.

If you're having to ask this question here, on how to confront him, he's not a friend.

Normally true, but the guy was too drunk to notice??

--------------
 Post Number: 26
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:41 pm)

If I burned or damaged a friend's new tent, I would buy them a new one, no discussion about it. They wouldn't have to ask. That's just how I am.

+1

Patch the tent.

+1

In other words, it's one of those situations where it would be nice and noble if your friend offers to replace your tent... but if he doesn't, there's no good way to broach the subject -- if you want to keep the friendship healthy and happy.  Patch it up -- your tent will still be 100% functional.  Just don't lend him anything expensive next time.   :;):

I'm with Ben

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 27
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 21 2013, 6:41 pm)

+1

Patch the tent.

+1

I'm with Ben

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 28
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 2:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eyebp @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:10 pm)
I'm with Ben

Does he snore?
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 2:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:53 pm)

(eyebp @ Jun. 21 2013, 11:10 pm)
I'm with Ben

Does he snore?

Why do you want to know?   :D

--------------
 Post Number: 30
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 5:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hell, I dumped eyebp out of a canoe into an alligator infested bayou and we're still friends. I figure if we ever canoe together again that he will make get in first.  :D
39 replies since Jun. 21 2013, 4:43 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply a friend burned a hole in my tent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions