2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Where are all of you slimeballs?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1:30 my time, on a Saturday afternoon.  I am bored and I want to read about all of the trivial stuff you have going on.  No one has posted anything since I last read all of the posts, about 10 minutes ago.

Don't make me go to the library, or camping, for god's sake.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got home a little while ago from retrieving Scouts from summer camp, there is something about have 4 boys spend 3 hours in your car after they have spent a week in 90+ degree weather.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 3
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just sold my 16' fiberglass canoe. Now I can move to Denver. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 4
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Jun. 22 2013, 1:41 pm)

Was that the final funds you needed for the move, or the last item you thought you would not need at altitude?  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My youngest son and my husband have a boys overnighter.  They drove to Vallejo & caught the ferry to AT&T Park to see the Giants & Marlins play.  They posted pictures on Facebook.  Me, I stayed home. Next time will me my turn.
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

4:30 here. I got up and went for a walk before breakfast, played around with the spiders in the canoe, then practiced loading and unloading it from the new van. If I set an old piece of carpet up side down on the very back, I can get it on and off without scratching it up. I will be buying two nylon straps with the metal locking clasps to strap it to the top. I took the ones I had to improve the bike rack.
I am now fiddling on the puter, drinkin a beer, and listening to Bonnie Raitt. I am also deep in thought deciding to eat the left over meatloaf or cook some salmon for dinner.
Oh, I might try to get in a bike ride tomorrow morning before I have to get ready to drive the 45 miles to my sons to celebrate birthdays and grand daughters graduation.
 Post Number: 7
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 22 2013, 4:44 pm)

(SmokingHead @ Jun. 22 2013, 1:41 pm)

Was that the final funds you needed for the move, or the last item you thought you would not need at altitude?  

Yeah I didnt think it was worth dragging to an alpine lake to flyfish.    Anybody want a small house in NJ?

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 8
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spread 12 bags of mulch, moved a block retaining wall, and scraped all the old paint off the porch. Now I'm headed to town to get more mulch and new paint. Later tonight I will restudy my EKG homework, read for my "motivational interviewing" and musculoskeletal sessions, and start writing up a research project.
 Post Number: 9
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trivial, eh?  Well, some yes, some no.

Played a bit in the vegetable garden.  Some garlic could be just about ready to pull.

Got my tractor back from being serviced - did a bunch of bushhogging, plus a little grading where the power company trucks left huge water-filled ruts last winter when they came to investigate an outage.  Couldn't do it all.  Can't hog it when it's wet.

Ate some of my wife's awesome homemade blackberry cobbler with homemade lemon ice cream.  Mmm, mmm, good!!!

Held my first grandson for a while.  He's a sleepin' machine.  Awesome little man.

Doing more research on kayaks.  There's a 14' barely used Wildnerness Tsunami near me.  Hmmm...

Now I'm entertaining you.   :D
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jun. 22 2013, 4:38 pm)
Just got home a little while ago from retrieving Scouts from summer camp, there is something about have 4 boys spend 3 hours in your car after they have spent a week in 90+ degree weather.

Yeah, makes ya wanna get up to about 10 or 12,000 feet and drink, huh?  Oh well, try it at home and see if it still works.
 Post Number: 11
Neville Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm packing for a trip right now...

Too bad it's a business trip.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mowed the lawn, took the dog for a walk, went the evening church sevices.  That enough for you?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
retired reddog Search for posts by this member.
"I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got done with a walk in Bar Harbor after a day of hanging out in Acadia NP with the family.  We've been in New England all week on vacation escaping the South Carolina heat and humidity.  One thing I noticed my first morning here, the sun comes up EARLY here, 4:45 a.m. and it's full daylight!

--------------
Good night Chesty, where ever you are!-(It's a Marine thing.)

“The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!”
General John Pershing, United States Army
 Post Number: 14
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of weeks ago was invited on a fly fishing retreat for guys with cancer, and had a good time. Had not been fishing for years before that, but my daughter heard my reviews, and surprised me with a birthday present of a new fly reel and line.
So now I need to plan a couple of trips that involve creeks or small lakes with fish in them. Somehow I suspect I'll figure something out.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 15
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wife cooked some Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats for breakfast then I headed out for a  hike on our community trails.  I'm in charge of hiring a mower this summer so I wanted to check out a few of the areas  After a snack of turkey breast and Monterey Jack cheese  I took the weed eater for a 1.5 hour spin on the side of our 45-60 degree hill.  More food and a pitcher of lemonade later and it was time to sort through some of the llama packing gear I recently inherited.  I found time to experiment with a 12V shower system for the camper.  I just finished a gin and tonic and am considering a soak in the hot tub.
 Post Number: 16
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jun. 22 2013, 2:35 pm)
1:30 my time, on a Saturday afternoon. . . . 

Well, my not-so-slimy balls were taking an afternoon nap about then. (Geeze, I can't believe I was goaded into typing such language. I hereby absolve myself of personal responsibility.)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spent a lot of the morning starting to plan and organize food for our month-long road/backpacking trip coming up in just over a week.  Then we grabbed the boys and headed off to Mt. Tam and I did a 4.25 mile hike with them while the spouse ran 8.  I'm experimenting with the limits of the foot I had restructured back in January.  I'm not totally happy with where I'm finding those limits, but I'll be able to make do.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
Ohiohiker84 Search for posts by this member.
ohiohiker84

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spent a couple of hours looking online at small condos in AZ. Since I don't want to totally move away from the kids and grandkids, he suggested a condo and go back and forth.

He loves the hot weather, I love the cooler weather. I was looking at Sedona and the surrounding area.

Any location suggestions?
 Post Number: 19
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cooler weather in Arizona ?
okie-dokie
Flagstaff, Payson, or Show Low area

All very nice places, and close to the blast furnaces for the sadist in the group

Anything within M-1 canon range of Sedona will be $$$$$$

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 20
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ho-hum. Yesterday was such a trivial day for a couple of Colorado Springs slimeballs. Talk about a boring day (j/k)....

Mtngrl and I headed out at 5:00am for a hike in RMNP. Our goal was to look for Calypso Orchids and other wildflowers. We hit the trail at 8:00, and wandered along slowly, looking at the ground for wildflowers. After about 20 minutes, Mtngrl managed to look up and said, "Look, there's a bear." Ah-ha! Sure enough, there was a very healthy looking blackie (although he was actually brown) looking right at us, from abut 30 feet away. Mtngrl and I were excitedly whispering back and forth, "it's a bear! A BEAR! Oh wow!!" Both of us were trying to get our cameras out, but alas, the bear had had enough of two weird ladies whispering and gawking, and off s/he went. So, no pics. So yes, it was a trivial day  :p  :D

By the way, we did find Calypso Orchids. And a moose cow browsing a few feet off the trail :)

Is this enough of a trivial day for two slimeballs, ol-zeke? :D

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 21
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wife took a shower today after I did
She chewed me out for using all of the cold water

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 22
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since I am not on FB or some other such, I find that the postings here are too few and too serious, most of the time.  This sort of thread allows me to be entertained, while the boredom of my own existence takes its toll.

Some of you are getting out way too much to be trivial.  I am packing a house for moving, slowly enough to allow for us to continue to get by here for 6 more weeks, but fast enough to get the job done early.  Not being able to plan an Aug trip for a week or so is driving me crazy.  

I had planned on both PG and HOTB this year.  Will now miss both in all likelihood.  Damn it, damn it all to hell!  :)

--------------

Post Number: 23
cgaphiker Search for posts by this member.
Hen Wallow Falls

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm enjoying the challenge of my new position at work. I've worked more overtime this year than I ever have, and I am not enjoying that so much.  :;):
 Post Number: 24
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 1:30 ol-zeke's time yesterday (which was also my time), I was in Death Valley, exploring the geology and catching some rays.

When I got back to the hotel, there was a brawl in progress connected to a wedding reception gone bad.  Every cop in town was there, along with an ambulance and a fire truck.  One or two people left in the ambulance, the first of them either unconscious or worse.  The point at which I observed it was 2 1/2 hours after it began, according to the police report.  Festivities involving drunken vengeful people continued through the night, with several more police visits (I was briefly locked out of the hotel during one of them).  People were still arguing this morning.  I don't know what it takes to get kicked out of a hotel around here.
 Post Number: 25
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jun. 22 2013, 10:54 pm)
A couple of weeks ago was invited on a fly fishing retreat for guys with cancer, and had a good time. Had not been fishing for years before that, but my daughter heard my reviews, and surprised me with a birthday present of a new fly reel and line.
So now I need to plan a couple of trips that involve creeks or small lakes with fish in them. Somehow I suspect I'll figure something out.

Like  :)

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 26
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One-thirty yesterday I was at the festival grounds in Telluride waiting to Jerry Douglas to start. Today is the last day in Telluride. Hot Rize plays in a couple hours.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 27
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Between work and being out in the woods, I rarely find more than a moment or two to visit here. One of these days I will pick a photo hosting site to replace my defunct webshots page and actually post my trip reports.  I'm getting backlogged! Rumi & I just spent a wonderful 4 nights out on the Elwha and then grabbed the kiddo and hit a few spots on a road trip to Oregon.
 Post Number: 28
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ldyblade @ Jun. 23 2013, 5:50 pm)
One of these days I will pick a photo hosting site to replace my defunct webshots page and actually post my trip reports.

Same here.
 Post Number: 29
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2013, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just returned from a few days in the Eastern Sierra.
 Post Number: 30
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was camping this weekend up at Mirror Lake State Park in Wisconsin, near the Dells.  Thunderstorms made for good sleeping weather Friday night and a lazy Saturday morning experimenting with some steam baking under the tarp.  Finally got a decent window to paddle the lake Saturday and had a nice potluck dinner and conversations with old and new friends.  Severe thunderstorms (and rumored Tornado Watch) rolled in after dinner and we made the decision to pack up and flee around 11pm - some of us driving home to Chicago 4 hours away, others grabbing a cheap motel room or sleeping in cars.  All in all, a good weekend and now I have a garage full of wet/sandy camping gear to deal with :)

Oh - and I got to put my dog in a canoe for the first time.  I think we both need more practice before I buy one!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
37 replies since Jun. 22 2013, 4:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Where are all of you slimeballs?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions