2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: This is not good news for us, lightning deaths by activity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TDale Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 6:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://io9.com/new-sta....0760736

I'm doubly at risk.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think many men will try to soldier on, instead of going for cover, when bad weather strikes.
 Post Number: 3
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I should  try to avoid flyfishing on rainy Saturday afternoons but I'd hate to miss the baetis hatch. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 4
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

nice pic of the lightening
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As many sources have said, "There is no safe place outside during a lightning storm."

But I've sat outside huddled in my rain parka through many such storms, and I wouldn't care to have missed any of them.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jun. 25 2013, 7:00 pm)
But I've sat outside huddled in my rain parka through many such storms, and I wouldn't care to have missed any of them.

Right on! A dry sheltered place right there would be nice, but otherwise you're at a great place.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 7
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Florida had the most lightning deaths of any state between 2001-2012 (52) and ranks # 8 in deaths per million population.  I avoided being a stat twice I the last week.  I was out paddling a week ago when a storm came up with a waterspout and lightning.  Yesterday I was also out paddling when a lightning storm appeared.  In both cases I headed for shore and got there before the rains came.  

Summer in Florida can be exciting.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jun. 25 2013, 3:00 pm)

I wouldn't worry about it... Getting hit by lightning is kinda like winning the Lotto -- you can double the chance and the probability will still be minuscule.  And as hikers and fishers, I am sure most all of us know what to do to minimize the already minuscule chance even further!  There.  All better now.   :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better than most ways to go, IMO.

Maybe I should rethink my final day plans and add a lightning rod in place of the Jack Daniels??

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just going to take a guess that most of the fishing victims were out in the middle of large lakes on boats, not fly fishing a quiet forest creek.
Probably the only activity that puts most of us at risk is being above timberline in the afternoon. I've scrambled off a few ridges in my day.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 11
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jun. 26 2013, 7:37 am)
I'm just going to take a guess that most of the fishing victims were out in the middle of large lakes on boats, not fly fishing a quiet forest creek.
Probably the only activity that puts most of us at risk is being above timberline in the afternoon. I've scrambled off a few ridges in my day.

This.

I'm not at risk when gardening, as we almost never have t-storms here.  

I bike a lot, but since I detest riding in the rain, I'm unlikely to be out in a storm.

But I love backpacking above treeline, so. . .

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 12
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not surprising fishing topped the fatality list because the phenomenon favors strikes to the shortest resistive path to the source of the opposite charge versus cloud bottoms in an area.  Areas of Water are usually the most widespread interconnected ground in an area where charges readily flow across a landscape. With atoms, charge carriers are electrons at the outer shells of atoms.  From the perspective of someone with an understanding of the physics of electrical phenomenon, the average outdoor enthusiast ignorant of such, unknowingly often have dangerous behaviors. Despite considerable public advice on the subject there is much confusion.  As an example topping that list is the notion that conductive objects like keys in pockets make a difference.

When frozen water droplets in thunder cloud tops move about, there is a shattering process due to collisions and ice expansion that results in negatively charged droplets at cloud bases and positively charged droplets at cloud tops.   As clouds flow across the sky, the negatively charged base attracts positive charges far below on the ground that within the least resistive ground areas below are pulled close.  

Thus for instance as a cloud with a negative charge passes over the center of a large lake, charges in the water directly below the cloud are relatively positive with a deficit of electrons versus shore areas that are  more negative than during neutral sunny periods.  Dry air is so enormously resistive that the charges remain isolated with no flow through air.

A standing person in a boat out on a lake will be the closest point to the cloud bottoms passing above.  Below such thunderclouds are narrow hollow rapidly varying negatively ionized paths with charged water droplets called leaders that travel along dangling in the air below a cloud.  If a leader comes across an object with a low resistance path to the pool of positive charged water below, the electrical path overcomes the otherwise enormous resistance and the massive charge in the cloud is then able to arc down the leader into the water.   A fisherman in the middle is toast.  Hardly less dangerous would be a fisherman standing on a barren shore.  Along a tree lined shore, areas with tallest trees would be more dangerous than standing below short trees.  

One important thing to understand is leaders are more likely where heavy rain falls especially at the leading front of falling rain.  Another is when hail falls, it indicates clouds above are towering into higher parts of the atmosphere above the freezing level.  Such parts of clouds will be most charged and more likely to have leaders not high above the earth's surface traveling along waiting for that one fishing pole sticking up.   Thus a most dangerous time is where hail and heavy rain just begin to fall.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 13
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 26 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So 127 deaths over a 6-year period? Another "source" says about 55 deaths per year on average.

Regardless, I think more people probably die of embarrassment each year than die from lightning.

I would like to say lightning doesn't concern me, but my annual hiking trip to CO is fast approaching....

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 14
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jun. 25 2013, 8:16 pm)

(TDale @ Jun. 25 2013, 3:00 pm)

I wouldn't worry about it... Getting hit by lightning is kinda like winning the Lotto -- you can double the chance and the probability will still be minuscule.  And as hikers and fishers, I am sure most all of us know what to do to minimize the already minuscule chance even further!  There.  All better now.   :D

<--- Bitten twice. What does that say about my lottery chances?   :D

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 15
eyebp Search for posts by this member.
Camping is for losers

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Jun. 26 2013, 3:09 pm)
So 127 deaths over a 6-year period? Another "source" says about 55 deaths per year on average.

Regardless, I think more people probably die of embarrassment each year than die from lightning.

I would like to say lightning doesn't concern me, but my annual hiking trip to CO is fast approaching....

This. I ain't changing a thing.

--------------
Give me the wine. You keep the bread.
 Post Number: 16
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double post)

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 17
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the chances of being injured or killed by lightning are far greater than the chances of winning the lottery — depending on the location and what "winning the lottery" means.

The chances of winning the Powerball jackpot are said to be 1 in 175 million. In the same lottery, the chances of winning a million dollars or more are 1 in 5 million.

In California, the chances of being injured by lightning were 1 in 14 million. But in Wyoming the chances of being injured by lightning were 82 times as great, that is, 5.8 in a million. (Calculated over the period from 1959 to 1994. See Lightning Injuries, Fatalities and Damage Reports in the United States, 1959-1994.)

In the time period of those numbers, Wyoming led the nation as the state with the highest per capita injuries from lightning. California was far behind every other state and territory except Alaska. So what seems miniscule in California is not quite so insignificant in Wyoming.

Considering that most people remain indoors or seek indoor shelter during thunderstorms, the chances of a hiker or backpacker in Wyoming being injured by lightning are far greater than even those figures suggest.

Chances of winning a million dollars: 1 in 5 million.
Chances of injury by lightning in Wyoming: 29 in 5 million.

ETA: National Park Service Digest: Climber Killed, Sixteen Injured During Lightning Storm.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
16 replies since Jun. 25 2013, 6:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply This is not good news for us
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions