2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ice cream< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 12:27 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have this sweet tooth for ice cream, and a very good vanilla is a favorite.  One of the nice things about a good vanilla, is it lends itself to so many other flavors.  Tonight, M surprised me with a blend of raspberry and chocolate.  The berries were from our garden, and she mixed in some chocolate syrup before putting them all in a container.  I added a couple of tablespoons to my 8 oz of vanilla, and let it sit for a while, softening up until it could be easily devoured with a spoon.

man!  This is some good eating!  Raspberry and chocolate are 2 flavors that really go well together, and this is not the first time I have combined them.  A couple of decades ago, I baked a chocolate sheet cake, ran a knife horizontally through it to make 2 layers, strained all of the seeds out of a jar of raspberry jam and used it as the icing between the layers.  Toped the whole thing off with chocolate fudge icing, and served it to an office party.  It was a fav then also.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right on!!!

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 2:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, your post reminded me of a great childhood memory, eating homemade vanilla ice cream and fresh raspberries with my great grandpa when I was maybe four or five years old.  Awesome.
Raspberries are one of the very best things about summer.  My mom used to raise a huge raspberry patch, and I miss it.  As soon as I have the house I'm staying in for the long haul, the first thing I'm planting are raspberries and an asparagus bed.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hooked on Burger King's 50 cent soft serve - ice cream for the common man.
 Post Number: 6
ki0eh Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like it too much to buy it often, but it can be a useful motivator.

A while back I lived in the Quad Cities of IA/IL and was trying to lose weight. There is a local chain there called Whitey's which calls itself "Best in the Midwest" (and as far as I can tell a lot further afield than that, for the "conventional" sort of ice cream at least). I would ride my bike to the next further Whitey's location for a shake as I got more fit. I never got fit enough to ride out to the Iowa City location but I think I got to about all the rest that way in two years of this progression.
 Post Number: 7
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 27 2013, 9:15 am)

Big +1 !!   Unfortunately I can only sneak a little bit these days. Damn blood sugar :(

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 10:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Jun. 27 2013, 9:36 am)

(Lamebeaver @ Jun. 27 2013, 9:15 am)

Big +1 !!   Unfortunately I can only sneak a little bit these days. Damn blood sugar :(

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ol-zeke, you would probably enjoy some Oregon Trail ice cream.  Blackberries (or Marion?) with filberts in a hard, dark chocolate ice cream.  The only place I've seen it is on the coast in a shop in old town Florence.  It is sold by the scoop.  The wife and I usually share a bowl on the drive home after a day of catching Dungeness crabs.  If you find your way over there before you move out of the region give it a try.   With the predicted heat wave coming it might be worth the drive.  And best wishes to you on the move.
 Post Number: 10
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 27 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Jun. 27 2013, 10:25 am)
Ol-zeke, you would probably enjoy some Oregon Trail ice cream.  Blackberries (or Marion?) with filberts in a hard, dark chocolate ice cream.  The only place I've seen it is on the coast in a shop in old town Florence.  It is sold by the scoop.  The wife and I usually share a bowl on the drive home after a day of catching Dungeness crabs.  If you find your way over there before you move out of the region give it a try.   With the predicted heat wave coming it might be worth the drive.  And best wishes to you on the move.

Man, I would like that!

Zeke--we discovered white chocolate raspberry truffle last summer (Hagen Daaz?).

We use ice cream as a post-hike treat, buy a pint at the grocery and cluster around it, spoons at the ready.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 2:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heat wave day 2 here in the SF Bay Area and was in the low 90s in San Jose with tomorrow a bit hotter.  Normally don't keep ice cream in my house but hey I was already bad today.   Since it is the end of fiscal year 2013 Sunday for lunch my company bought us a pile of of Round Table pizza boxes and this person that doesn't eat much meat ate eight slices.   This greasy and creamy stuff is so addictive!

On the way home stopping at a supermarket saw that french vanilla and...just had the above a few minutes ago then washed it down with some ginger ale.   Temp outside now almost midnight must be in the low 70s so have opened windows and doors.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 29 2013, 6:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good vanilla ice cream, with a sizable dose of tasty vanilla bean, is pretty darn good.  Don't necessarily need to add anything else.  Most are just creamy and bland.
 Post Number: 13
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dreyers Fruit Bars has a new set of flavors.  I bought the box with Orange, Pineapple, and Coconut flavored bars.  Tonight, I tried the coconut bar.  it was smooth, creamy, and very much filled with flakes of coconut.  Highly recommended.  

--------------

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've been eating those coconut bars and the lime ones for about 3 years now.

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 15
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The lime ones are great with tequila.  :D  First I saw of the coconut ones though.  

--------------

Post Number: 16
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the chili heads out there try a good quality vanilla topped with a good dose of siracha sauce.  The ice cream really covers the heat of the sauce and lets the chili flavors come through.  I haven't been able to consume enough of this combo lately.
 Post Number: 17
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Texas Favorite

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 18
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 01 2013, 6:42 am)
Texas Favorite

When I picked up my daughter from her 18 months in Texas, I asked her what she would miss about Texas. She said the friendly people, Rosas Mexican restaurants, and Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Kudos to them, BTW, for keeping with the 1/2 gallon container, the honest way to sell ice cream. I've decided that buying 1.5 quart containers of ice cream is against my religion.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 19
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ki0eh @ Jun. 27 2013, 9:34 am)
I like it too much to buy it often, but it can be a useful motivator.

A while back I lived in the Quad Cities of IA/IL and was trying to lose weight. There is a local chain there called Whitey's which calls itself "Best in the Midwest" (and as far as I can tell a lot further afield than that, for the "conventional" sort of ice cream at least). I would ride my bike to the next further Whitey's location for a shake as I got more fit. I never got fit enough to ride out to the Iowa City location but I think I got to about all the rest that way in two years of this progression.

Mmmmm....Whitey's!  That was my first job at the age of 15, and still my favorite ice cream.  I always stop in when I go back to visit my mom.  

My new favorite flavor is birthday cake ice cream.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 20
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Be prepared.  You have plenty of time.

National Vanilla Ice Cream Day

Maybe we should have everyone eat vanilla ice cream and show us their creations.

Prior to that, there's a generic National Ice Cream Day.

Find them all right here.
 Post Number: 21
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 9:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blue bell is good. I think I need to go visit family in texas.
 Post Number: 22
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just ate three ice cream sandwiches.  They're the best!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 23
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 10:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, I love ice cream.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 24
sticks Search for posts by this member.
Mr. Obvious

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

--------------
I am the original 'sticks' from the original forums...all others are posers. :cool:
 Post Number: 25
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread is making my mouth water. What I crave is drumsticks.
 Post Number: 26
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ Jul. 04 2013, 2:15 pm)
This thread is making my mouth water. What I crave is drumsticks.

+1

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 27
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll beat a nun to death with an umbrella for one of these:

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
26 replies since Jun. 27 2013, 12:27 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ice cream
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions