2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Favorite College Town(s)...? Got one or...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 3:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Greetings, BPers...!!!

Got a favorite college/university town?   What do you like about it?  I'm looking for some new towns to visit and check out.   Any cool outdoor things to do nearby?  THX...

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cambridge, MA.  Check out the president's office + freshman housing in a building built in 1720.  

White Mountains,NH

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 3
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Ashland OR there is the shakespear festival and near by Crater Lake, the redwoods, the Pacific and Mt Shasta and Mt Ashland. My definition of nearby is a couple of hours or at least can do in a day round trip. also love up on Howard Prairie there.

My kids are loving Santa Cruz on Monteray Bay too

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 4
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gainesville, FL

Seriously, if you go you need to check out the sinkhole at Devil's Milhopper State Park

Also, the Florida Museum of Natural History

and the Swamp :)

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ft.Collins,CO/ CSU...... forget the rest.

Perpetually in the top 10 lists for the two decades for healthy lifestyle, ease of access to outdoor activities IN THE MOUNTAINS, most bike friendly, best place to retire, most micro breweries, NOT on the party school list, "small" town atmosphere, MASSIVE infrastructure improvements ongoing and half way completed that will make Ft. Collins on the cutting edge of the "New Urban" environment, etc. etc.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boston/Cambridge
Berkeley
Fort Collins
Boulder

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm probably the only one here who will pick Provo, UT, but what other large american university has a real trailhead that goes up a canyon into some real mountains less than a 10 minute walk from campus?
It is probably the only college town in the US with only one bar, and that on the other side of town. Depending on your POV, that could be a positive or a negative.
And because of it's setting, it is consistently rated as one of the most, if not THE most senic places to watch a football game.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Laramie. There's a stool with your name on it at the Buckhorn Sven.

In all seriousness my favorite "college town" is my favorite city of the world, Boston/Cambridge. It is a great walking city, walk from Back Bay Station up the Esplanade along the Charles, over the Longfellow Bridge to Kendall Square and MIT in Cambridge. Freedom Trail, a lot of great walking.

Jim mentioned the White Mountains. The Old Bridle Path up Lafayette is less than two hours away, the Franconia Ridge is one of this country's greatest dayhikes IMO. Cape Cod's Geat Island National Seashore is a blast.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did earned both my undergrad and grad degrees in Boston. Great college town that offers a wide variety of activites - both indoor and outdoor.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jul. 01 2013, 8:43 am)
I'm probably the only one here who will pick Provo, UT, but what other large american university has a real trailhead that goes up a canyon into some real mountains less than a 10 minute walk from campus?

Colorado and Colorado State, just to name a couple.  And far more than just one trailhead for either.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spearfish, South Dakota on the northern edge of the Black Hills is about the prettiest, cleanest little college town I've ever been in. It's small enough to get out of town fast, but big enough to offer shopping opportunities. Bike route up Spearfish Canyon is a favorite workout for colleges students and adults alike. Trailheads within a few miles. It's not a place I want to live, but my favorite to visit.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 12
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Laramie?  Yeah, if you like to drink beer...  and as long as you're not there in the winter :p

Seriously, I enjoyed going to some events at the Univ of Wyoming - also took drumming lessons as a community member.  

I went to college in McMinnville, OR - besides two coffee shops downtown and a good Mexican restaurant across the street from campus, not much to do there. But we enjoyed going to Portland occasionally - Saturday market and Powell's Books :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are too many to list.  I like college towns in general.
 Post Number: 14
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jul. 01 2013, 11:19 am)
There are too many to list.  I like college towns in general.

This ^

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 15
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm gonna go with New Paltz...ya got Mohonk near by, lake Minawaska, and pretty much foot of the catskills close by..

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 16
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Paltz?  Is Rock and Snow still there?

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 17
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm forced to like Boulder, being there. I have a serious love/hate relationship with the place. I need to move back into the foothills, or out a little on the plains.

I want to check out Bellingham, haven't been there yet.

I like Flagstaff despite the grungy feel. Nicely centralized for some serious backcountry. It was my second choice behind Boulder.

Durango - home of Ft. Lewis College. I simply love Durango.

Missoula is very nice.

Marburg, Germany, where I studied, has a thriving 500 year-old university. Marburg is simply sweet, especially after stumbling out of a beer keller at sunrise.

Checking out Claremont next month -it seems like another fantastic place.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 18
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 01 2013, 7:02 pm)
New Paltz?  Is Rock and Snow still there?

yep :)
 Post Number: 19
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the best college towns are the ones with good colleges.  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 20
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm partial to Iowa City since that's my alma mater.  There's a reservoir nearby where we used to swim.  For Iowa, there actually are decent recreational activities - rock climbing and mt biking not too far away.

I also really liked Charlottesville, VA - nice downtown area (I love any place with a ped mall) with live music and shops, not far from Shenandoah National Park for hiking.

My other alma mater - Champaign, IL - nothing to do there but get drunk and go to football games. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 01 2013, 10:49 pm)

Rumi

Central Wyoming College in Riverton is a really good school...in a miserable town. Only worse town with a school I ever saw was Crownpoint, NM.

I went to Colorado College and dated a few different young ladies in boulder. I loved Boulder...for a weekend at a time. Cliff diving at Gross Resevoir was an extreme sprt with enough Alcohol.

Boston is truly amazing and in intellectual circles reasonably the "Hub of the Universe." Within Route 128 is more than most folks can imagine.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

San Luis Obispo
Flagstaff
Durango
Bozeman
Boise
Etc.

College towns are cool!
 Post Number: 23
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Unfortunately the best colleges may not be affordable for anyone below upper middle class, or someone willing to anchor their future to college loans. From the perspective of an adult who has no intention of returning to college, there are other limitations on the advantages of living near the best colleges. I would never move to a place without good backpacking country nearby. That's more important to me than a good college.

For most of my life I have been willing to live near a college town with a good college library, if I liked what the town had to offer otherwise. But even that is increasing less important. With the reading materials I can download or order over the internet, even a good bookstore is not so necessary as it was. I can often get good books for less than half what a good bookstore charges.

From my perspective, the best advantage of a college town is the social climate that may accompany it — in addition to the outdoor recreational opportunities it offers. But a college determined to allow intellectual freedom does not guarantee a town with the same openness — especially in the conservative West.

So frankly, as much as I've preferred a college town to live in, a good college in that town is increasingly unnecessary.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 24
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right here in Gunnison, Colorado.
We have Western State Colorado University.
The highest football stadium in the country.
Small-town atmosphere.
And, within driving distance of 6 mountain ranges for hiking.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 25
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(burntfoot @ Jul. 02 2013, 1:17 pm)
Right here in Gunnison, Colorado.
We have Western State Colorado University.
The highest football stadium in the country.
Small-town atmosphere.
And, within driving distance of 6 mountain ranges for hiking.

If only it weren't so darn cold in the winter.
 Post Number: 26
raincloud Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I loved Boulder back in the day. When I was out there for  a week in 1969, it was reminiscent of Haight-Ashbury. I remember there was a little amphitheater somewhere close to the campus that had free concerts every night. With a drinking age of 18 and Coors beer, that was the place to be back then. The last time I was out there was about 10 years ago and, of course, the town was unrecognizable to me, almost like a suburb of Denver. Ft. Collins was another great campus town back in the day. My favorite campus town close to home is ISU in Ames. It still has that small town flavor with lots to do, due to all the students and their activities. I would point out that Iowa is ranked 49th out of 50 for outdoor recreation. Like FireDancer pointed out, there is SOME rock climbing, but we're talking sandstone bluffs that offer little height. And swimming in Coralville reservoir... there are very few Iowa waters anywhere in the state I would swim in. IMO!
 Post Number: 27
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boston, NYC, San Francisco: all have good schools and ambience.

Favorite is probably La Jolla, CA. Nice beaches for surfing, good scuba diving off downtown and a good school just up the beach: Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
 Post Number: 28
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will vote for my home town Durango.
I would add Gunnison except for the fact it is colder than the dark side of the moon in the winter.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 29
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like Flagstaff despite the grungy feel.

It is much better since I moved away.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 30
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jul. 02 2013, 8:23 am)

(RumiDude @ Jul. 01 2013, 10:49 pm)

Rumi
Central Wyoming College in Riverton is a really good school...in a miserable town. Only worse town with a school I ever saw was Crownpoint, NM.

I am not sure what rangersven's interest in college towns is, but for people wishing to go to college, the main purpose should be to get a good education.  Obviously there are multiple factors involved in getting a good education, but basic academic qualities have to be at the forefront.  Of course the context of the college is a contributing factor but a great town can't overcome a poor college.

Boston is truly amazing and in intellectual circles reasonably the "Hub of the Universe." Within Route 128 is more than most folks can imagine.
I noticed how many in this thread have promoted either their home town or their alma mater, which is OK but obviously biased.  Having said that, I do agree Boston area is a good place.  But so are many other areas.  

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
35 replies since Jun. 30 2013, 3:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Favorite College Town(s)...? Got one or...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions