2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: This outdoors club may want to stay indoors< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
nogods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I belong to a local "outdoors" club whose trip event reports I need to stop reading.

First was a trip report about a kayak to Navy Island, a small island in the Niagara River that is managed by Parks Canada as a National Historic Site of Canada.

Maybe Canadian grass doesn't burn:

Last week I read a trip report of a short hike to a creekside fire pit in a local conservation park (where fires are prohibited.)  Here's the group enjoying a relaxing afternoon on last week's adventure:

Here is how the site looked today when I visited it:

This weekend the group went on a camping trip in Allegheny National Forest.  They posted this gem of a picture in their trip report tonight:

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you contacted the to try to help them see the errors in what they're doing? Perhaps they don't know any better.
a little "Leave no Trace" session could really help.
Or their just terrible people and are ruining the earth for everyone...
but I would try to help if at all possible.
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 30 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only the last picture is showing up for me.

ETA: That's bizarre.  Once I posted, they all showed.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 6:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you said you belong to this club, you're as responsible for their... misdeeds... as they are if you don't go to meetings and/or on the excursions to tell/show what they're doing wrong.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what are you saying?  Bears can't join the club?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jul. 01 2013, 6:34 am)
Since you said you belong to this club, you're as responsible for their... misdeeds... as they are if you don't go to meetings and/or on the excursions to tell/show what they're doing wrong.

I've been trying.  Haven't found a way that gets through to them yet.
 Post Number: 7
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jun. 30 2013, 10:08 pm)

Hey, this is a family site
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My question would be "Why do you belong to this club?"

It would be like me joining a RV club...
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good grief.

Reminds me of a local meet-up hiking club who hiked into a local wilderness area where all fires are prohibited - then posted, online, photos of them enjoying their fire.  Also appeared that they had more than 12 people, the limit on a wilderness permit.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 01 2013, 10:31 am)

I would never join a group that made everyone wear weird yellow striped hats.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Jul. 01 2013, 11:47 am)
Good grief.

Reminds me of a local meet-up hiking club who hiked into a local wilderness area where all fires are prohibited - then posted, online, photos of them enjoying their fire.  Also appeared that they had more than 12 people, the limit on a wilderness permit.

You've just described this group.

It's unfortunate because they have one of the largest meetup groups in WNY and could be a positive force in growing a base of outdoor enthusiasts to help protect and expand out recreational resources.

I led a few hikes for them and went on a few hikes led by others.  Then I started to notice their cavalier attitude about the rules for use of local recreational assets. So I tried incorporating information into the hikes I led and posting topical information on their discussion board.  

I left comments about some of the pictures they were posting of inappropriate behavior (like feeding the bear, starting fires where fires are not allowed, accessing areas that are closed after dark).  

Not long ago a land manager fined their group $150 for leaving a mess at one of their campsites.  One of the organizers did send out a mass messages reminding everyone to cleanup after themselves to avoid the fines.  But it hasn't changed much.

I even scheduled a night hike in an area that didn't allow after dusk access, applied for a permit to the land manager, then informed everyone that the permit was denied because the rules prohibit access after dusk.  The only thing they seemed to have learned from that experience is not to apply for a permit for their next planned night hike to that area.
 Post Number: 12
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stew,

Per usual, thanks for the great chuckle.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 13
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is a local hiking / backpacking meetup group here in Chico, CA. I've been pondering whether or not to join it. I think I may not now... Weird how some peopl can love the outdoors, but trash it. It is rather befuddling behavior.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 14
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jun. 30 2013, 8:08 pm)

This is the picture that really gets me.  It's hard to tell from the fuzzy photo, but... is that guy really feeding a bear a marshmallow from the end of a long stick?  Really?

That one needs to be reported to wildlife managers, stat.  When that bear mauls some person sleeping at a campsite, folks like this need to be held accountable for teaching it not to fear humans.  To me that's much more serious than leaving trash behind or not getting proper permits (although both of those are annoying as well).

But again, it's hard to tell for sure what's going on in the photo.  Did the person who originally posted it leave a comment of any type?

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Firedancer @ Jul. 01 2013, 10:43 am)

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 01 2013, 10:31 am)

I would never join a group that made everyone wear weird yellow striped hats.

I dunno, you look pretty good in a hat

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 16
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 03 2013, 12:09 pm)

This is the picture that really gets me.  It's hard to tell from the fuzzy photo, but... is that guy really feeding a bear a marshmallow from the end of a long stick?  Really?

That one needs to be reported to wildlife managers, stat.  When that bear mauls some person sleeping at a campsite, folks like this need to be held accountable for teaching it not to fear humans.  To me that's much more serious than leaving trash behind or not getting proper permits (although both of those are annoying as well).

But again, it's hard to tell for sure what's going on in the photo.  Did the person who originally posted it leave a comment of any type?

+1.  What idiots! Nogods get the heck away from this group of fools before you get hauled in too!
 Post Number: 17
Roscue2 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are leading the hike, then you are (or should) have complete control over the groups decision making.

Personally, if my arse is on the line in a group activity of any sort, if they refuse to follow my guidelines then I will call it off.

As for the bear photo, eh, could be photo shopped, but still, it is stupid of them to post it without a clear title saying it is photo shopped if it is indeed. If its real, well, even more reason to cut ties with them. There are plenty of Meetup hiking groups in just about any given area. Heck, here there are 5 that I could participate with if I chose to. I personally, would cut ties with them if they refuse to change their ways.
 Post Number: 18
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't see a problem, bears gots  to eats too, yo!
 Post Number: 19
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the solution is not to hang out and recreate with idiots.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 20
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 03 2013, 12:09 pm)

Agreed. This is 100% unacceptable. That picture infuriates me if he is in fact feeding it. Holy crap, some people!!!

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I posted a comment to the picture about a"a fed bear is a dead bear" with a link to an article about a black bear that was destroyed in 2011 by the PA Game Commissioner after receiving a photo of that bear being fed and learning that the bear was rummaging through liter cans and approaching people for food.  The article stated the bear was destroyed to avoid a potential injury to people from a habituated bear.

In response, a person who was on the camping event (to the ANF in PA) stated that the picture was not taken during that trip and that she was told by the caretaker that a bear would never be destroyed until after it had injured a person (apparently calling the PA commissioner a liar about the 2011 article.)

Subsequently, the person who posted the picture said it was taken on "private property" (which makes no difference whatsoever) and that he had posted it in the event album because people were talking about bears invading the camp grounds.

I stopped commenting after that.

But some good news - at least one of the individuals in the picture of the group at the littered illegal fire pit has signed up for my hike  to go clean up that section of the park.
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 05 2013, 2:35 pm)
In response, a person who was on the camping event (to the ANF in PA) stated that the picture was not taken during that trip and that she was told by the caretaker that a bear would never be destroyed until after it had injured a person (apparently calling the PA commissioner a liar about the 2011 article.)

Subsequently, the person who posted the picture said it was taken on "private property" (which makes no difference whatsoever) and that he had posted it in the event album because people were talking about bears invading the camp grounds.

Well alrighty, then.  No need to worry!
 Post Number: 23
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeez, nogods, maybe what you need to do is create a meetup group of some responsible people, and when the noodleheads post a trip, ALL of you go with them and show them how it's done.

One of the MU groups I belong to won't let you join with no small measure of scrutiny, followed by a group overnight with one of the sponsors. I saw one advised to not go. She came, anyway, wearing her cotton sweatpants -- and survived. She was kicked from the group most riki-tik.

And are we quite sure that bear didn't show up for the karaoke? Looks like he's crooning into a microphone...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Jul. 05 2013, 4:10 pm)
Jeez, nogods, maybe what you need to do is create a meetup group of some responsible people, and when the noodleheads post a trip, ALL of you go with them and show them how it's done.

One of the MU groups I belong to won't let you join with no small measure of scrutiny, followed by a group overnight with one of the sponsors. I saw one advised to not go. She came, anyway, wearing her cotton sweatpants -- and survived. She was kicked from the group most riki-tik.

And are we quite sure that bear didn't show up for the karaoke? Looks like he's crooning into a microphone...

I did start a meetup group of my own a moth ago - limited to hiking and short backpacking trips in WNY.  That was all I did for the larger group, and I don't want to compete with the other group as to any other outdoor activities so I've kept the focus very limited for my group.

The other group is one of the oldest and largest outdoor meetups in WNY and includes more outdoor activities than just hiking and backpacking in WNY.  It's unfortunate that one of their organizers is so ignorant about responsible use of the outdoors, and he seems to attract like minded people on his events.  But a lot of good people participate in the other events organized by that group.
23 replies since Jun. 30 2013, 10:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply This outdoors club may want to stay indoors
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions