2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Congratulations Walkinman!, August Issue Of Backpacker Magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 11:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know we disagree on some things but agree on far more. It was great to see you in there. Finding out you're from Down Under explains so much. Heeh. Heeh.

Hope you're having a great summer, keep on trekkin',

John

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aw jeez, now I'm gonna have to go buy an issue. :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 02 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a magazine?
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Walkinman is one of the best contributors on this board IMO. Boulder folks made a great choice.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I figured that had to be him.   Well done, Carl, well done, indeed.  Can't think of a better contributor.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 03 2013, 10:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which article is it?

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey DC

Thanks, bro. Yep, an Aussie (well, dual-citizen; long story); that should explain everything. :)

Tomas, it's a short thing on off-trail hiking, I think in the Skills section. I tried to get the editors to use my avatar for my pic, but they wouldn't go for it. :)

Cheers

Carl

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pg 38.  I couldn't find it without the clue, since Walkinman's photo looks too much like every other guy with a pack on.  :)
 Post Number: 9
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's how I blend in when I'm under cover. :)

--------------

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 10
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 05 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Carl,

It was cool to see you in BP man! I just received my copy yesterday.

Maybe you can pitch them about doing something a little more entertaining though. I've been reading the mag for years, and those 'skills' articles get awfully old after awhile - no matter how cool & enlightened the author is.  :;):

They really need one (or two even) entertaining trip report stories in each issue - strictly for a good read. For example, your kayak vs bear adventure from a few years ago would be perfect! It would make the mag a lot more interesting if two pages of it were dedicated to a story like that each month - instead of some same old way on how to put one foot in front of the other.

You should really pitch the idea to them. Hell ... your old enough now that your experiences could probably fill up the first ten years of these type articles no problem!  :laugh:

Hope you're having a great summer. We're not making it up there this year - but going to Haidi Gwaii in August instead. We were planning on the Gates this year, but we ran into some pretty expensive unexpected house repairs this spring - so that put going too far away on hold. We're going to be in Katmai next September most likely though - hopefully see you then if you're still doing that trip.

Cheers,
Pete

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 11
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Pete

Having a good summer here, thanks. Heading to ANWR tomorrow for a couple weeks, then back to icy Bay, where, hopefully, that bear isn't gunna cause me any more trouble. :)

I agree some interesting stories might make for a good read - I'm sure tons of hikers have some really cool ones to read about.

I'll be in Katmai next sept. Hope to see ya there! Have fun in Haidi Gwaii; they got some big black bears, I hear.

Cheers

Carl

--------------

Post Number: 12
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 06 2013, 11:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't read it all yet..about half way through it.   Informative and good read.

Congrats on being published and thanks.
 Post Number: 13
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2013, 4:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, thanks Three - glad you enjoyed it.

--------------

12 replies since Jul. 02 2013, 11:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Congratulations Walkinman!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions