2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ethics of beer consumption< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KenV Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 9:33 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beer uses an aerobic fermentation process.  That fermentation process releases large quantities of carbon dioxide gas, only a small portion of which is captured by the beer to carbonate it. Opening the bottle releases a lot of the captured carbon dioxide.  Bottling, warehousing, distributing and retailing beer consumes large amounts of fuel, which releases even more carbon into the atmosphere.

So is it ethical to consume beer?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why drink at all?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As a member of PETY (people for the ethical treatment of yeast), I think you also need to consider that cutting back on beer consumption would deprive billions and billions of these innocent tiny animals of their civil rights.

After all, beer are people too.
 Post Number: 4
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I switched to demon rum a long time ago.  Just call me green.   High carbonation beer can actually relieve stomach aches but said carbonation is locked into beer.  

All you are making the point for is chugging beer.  Chug, chug, chug, ...

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 5
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trees use carbon dioxide to eat. Carbon dioxide is used to make beer I just heard. Save a beer. Kill a tree.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 11 2013, 11:55 am)
Trees use carbon dioxide to eat. Carbon dioxide is used to make beer I just heard. Save a beer. Kill a tree.

Actually, carbon dioxide is a waste by product of fermenting beer, just as carbon dioxide is a waster by product of your metabolism.  So beer drinkers and anyone who breathes (or drives a car) is feeding trees.
 Post Number: 7
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ken, the first time you find a beer in an icy creek high up in the mountains this dilemma will become a mote point! Cheers!
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 11 2013, 6:33 am)

At least as ethical as driving a car.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Jul. 11 2013, 1:18 pm)
Ken, the first time you find a beer in an icy creek high up in the mountains this dilemma will become a mote point! Cheers!

The point is moot either way.  I don't consume alcohol.  At all.
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The answer is in my signature line.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 11
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 11 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 11 2013, 1:16 pm)

(DukeFan @ Jul. 11 2013, 1:18 pm)

The point is moot either way.  I don't consume alcohol.  At all.

Actually, if you found beer in water, wouldn't that be a moat point?  :laugh:
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 11 2013, 5:23 pm)
Actually, if you found beer in water, wouldn't that be a moat point?  :laugh:

I guess.  If you considered the stagnant goo in a typical moat to be water.
 Post Number: 13
GeorgeDW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's unAmerican not to drink beer.
 Post Number: 14
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No less ethical than pontificating absolute absurdities on a regular basis after having been effectively rebuttaled to death as you almost always are yourself Ken.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jul. 13 2013, 1:08 pm)
No less ethical than pontificating absolute absurdities on a regular basis after having been effectively rebuttaled to death as you almost always are yourself Ken.

Pontificating?!!  I'll say it again:  Some folks just have no sense of humor. None at all.
 Post Number: 16
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ken, you really don't deserve the crap you get.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 13 2013, 2:11 pm)

"Deserve" has nothing to do  with it.  For some folks EVERYthing is about politics.  My politics are not acceptable to a number of the folks here.  Even less acceptable is that I both present and defend my politics on TPA.  That is sufficient justification for any and all "crap" I get anywhere else on this forum.

Interestingly, these same folks consistently and persistently insist I get "spanked" on TPA.  They're welcome to think and state that.  But seeing as those same folks can't understand even simple (and blindingly obvious) humor, I just hafta shake my head and laugh.

And in some small ways I feel sorry for them.  What must it be like to live a life so all consumed by, of all things, politics!?
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 13 2013, 2:07 pm)

(double cabin @ Jul. 13 2013, 1:08 pm)

Pontificating?!!  I'll say it again:  Some folks just have no sense of humor. None at all.

If I didn't have a sense of humor I wouldn't look forward to the tripe you post with such alacrity. If you can't see the humor in the truth your consistent attempts at implied imposition sans any critical/factual basis are just as needlessly CO2 productive as a beer drinker's passion then I can't help you.

As to giving Ken kwap TDale: He doesn't poop pastry any more than I do friend. It's quite ironic that one who's name among other things means range of vision has such a crippled, narrow view of the world.

--------------

Post Number: 19
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Morning coffee -- and beer after a hike.  Life is good, so there.  :cool:

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 20
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I respect your point of view.  Belief is belief, regardless of whether I agree with it.

It's something of a joke, but somewhat true, that if Christians started beheading infidels there would be more respect.

But that wouldn't be Christian.

Pacifist religions don't get much respect.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 3:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jul. 13 2013, 2:45 pm)
If I didn't have a sense of humor I wouldn't look forward to the tripe you post with such alacrity.
Perhaps.  But what is almost certain is that if you truly had a sense of humor you would not take blindlingly obvious humor posts seriously and use them as a jumping off point to make a personal attack.  Doing so makes one look both foolish and petty.  But then again, maybe that's what you were going for.

As to giving Ken kwap TDale: He doesn't poop pastry any more than I do friend. It's quite ironic that one who's name among other things means range of vision has such a crippled, narrow view of the world.
"crippled, narrow view of the world"??!!

Please, describe this cripplingly narrow view.  I'll lay very generous odds that your view of me is what is "crippled and narrow."  You have no clue what my range of vision is nor what my view of the world is.  None.

As for my poop, it may not come out pastry, but it ALWAYS smells like roses.
 Post Number: 22
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 13 2013, 11:11 am)

Maybe not all of it, but Ken dishes out plenty himself.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Jul. 13 2013, 3:56 pm)

(TDale @ Jul. 13 2013, 11:11 am)

Maybe not all of it, but Ken dishes out plenty himself.

Agreed.  But this begs the question, how many times was I the instigator of crap dishing outside of TPA?
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here in TR you tried to feign intellectual curiosity of why people "adle" their brains with drugs but insisted you weren't being judgemental.

In TPA you have embarrassed yourself many times.  I invite anyone that doesn't take my word for it to search the TPA for themselves but just so I don't come off as being dismissive without substance let's give people the option to see your "Big Screw Up" thread right here if they choose to.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1160216

Yeah, among so many things considering the issue of more than 900 documented false statements that facilitated the deaths of thousands of our service men and women and ultimately added trillions to our debt while in no rational way making our nation more secure is not as much of a screw up as a video editor's gaffe then yes, IMO you have a crippled, narrow view of the world.

--------------

Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jul. 13 2013, 4:19 pm)
Here in TR you tried to feign intellectual curiosity of why people "adle" their brains with drugs but insisted you weren't being judgemental.

In TPA you have embarrassed yourself many times.  I invite anyone that doesn't take my word for it to search the TPA for themselves but just so I don't come off as being dismissive without substance let's give people the option to see your "Big Screw Up" thread right here if they choose to.

Yeah, among so many things considering the issue of more than 900 documented false statements that facilitated the deaths of thousands of our service men and women and ultimately added trillions to our debt while in no rational way making our nation more secure is not as much of a screw up as a video editor's gaffe then yes, IMO you have a crippled, narrow view of the world.

Really?  On what do you base this claim?  In fact, your claim is utterly false.  I've been a designated driver in a wide variety of circumstances for decades and know very well why people choose to addle their brains with a wide variety of drugs, both legal and not. All the evidence shows your claim to be a complete fabrication.  ALL the evidence (including the OP) shows that I had an "intellectual  curiosity" why people find addling their brains to be a badge of honor.  That's completely different.  And a distinction you have REPEATEDLY (and I would suggest willfully) ignored.

FYI, there's LOTS of evidence showing how some "have tried to feign[/I]" moral outrage as an excuse to pontificate and to lash out against a religion, and use the occasion to simultaneously make a baseless personal attack.

Oh this is precious.  I posted a thread last year on the TPA mocking a screw up at the Democratic National Convention.  Your failure to recognize this thread as blindingly obvious humor has already proven that your cognition skills are suspect and you now claim that the DNC screw up thread somehow proves that I embarrssed myself?!  Whatever you say.   But let's imagine that's true.  How is that somehow justification for your inability to recognize blindingly obvious humor here?  AND justification for a personal attack here?  All I can say is WOW.

Your rambling rather non-sensical run-on sentence notwithstanding, I say again:  You are clueless about my range of vision and the breadth (and even the nature) of my world view.  UTTERLY clueless.  

Your world view however appears to be highly suspect when you cannot recognize blindingly obvious humor when it's staring you in  the face.  And then use several lame excuses to justify both your ignorance, and your baseless personal attack.
 Post Number: 26
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well that's funnier than a bag of hammers. Come on Kenneth, everytime you get fleeced(which is like a lot) you chalk it up to the old funny bone eh?
 Post Number: 27
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Jul. 11 2013, 1:10 pm)

(KenV @ Jul. 11 2013, 6:33 am)

At least as ethical as driving a car.

Well, no.

From what I've read, an automobile consumes something like four times the amount of oxygen a "standard human" breathes in a whole day just traveling one city block.

Though I only drink a 6-pack once every month or so, I don't believe it's as bad as an automobile. :^)

ETA: Somebody needs to ask KenV about intensive coffee plantation cultivation and its impact on global "health"... :p
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 15 2013, 2:53 pm)
Well that's funnier than a bag of hammers. Come on Kenneth, everytime you get fleeced(which is like a lot) you chalk it up to the old funny bone eh?

"everytime?"  Nah.  This time, sure.  Who gets upset at obvious humor?  Certainly the humorless with an axe to grind.  CC seems to fit the bill very well.
 Post Number: 29
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 13 2013, 1:34 pm)

(TDale @ Jul. 13 2013, 2:11 pm)

"Deserve" has nothing to do  with it.  For some folks EVERYthing is about politics.  My politics are not acceptable to a number of the folks here.  Even less acceptable is that I both present and defend my politics on TPA.  That is sufficient justification for any and all "crap" I get anywhere else on this forum.

Interestingly, these same folks consistently and persistently insist I get "spanked" on TPA.  They're welcome to think and state that.  But seeing as those same folks can't understand even simple (and blindingly obvious) humor, I just hafta shake my head and laugh.

And in some small ways I feel sorry for them.  What must it be like to live a life so all consumed by, of all things, politics!?

Don't make jokes using material about which you might reasonably be considered "serious as sin".

FYI: This is an old tip I got from a former stand-up comic, who made the mistake of "joking" about the wrong subject.

Just FYI, you see.... :{>

ETA: And I see that he's off and running...

Did you ever hear the one about the Mormon with a sense of humor? When the elders heard he could tell jokes, they sent him home and told him he couldn't belong to the LDS because he was obviously Jewish.
 Post Number: 30
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beer is good. I know.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
46 replies since Jul. 11 2013, 9:33 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ethics of beer consumption
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions