2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: high end watches and sunglasses< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I made a sarcastic remark in another thread, and it sparked a question in my mind.  Hard to believe, right?

I have seen many ads for various expensive watches, and walked by an ad for expensive sunglasses the other day that said, if your watch says you have arrived, why not your sunglasses?

Now, I could afford to drive an expensive car, wear an expensive watch, and own several pairs of expensive sunglasses, but I own none of those things.  I just do not see the point.

Don't get me wrong.  If I want something, I buy it, and practicality means nothing.  I bought a McHale several years ago because I could and I thought it was the best choice for me at the time.  I just do not see the point of fancy cars, watches, or sunglasses.  I drive a hybrid Civic, don't wear a watch but use the clock on my phone, and wear spring loaded clip ons for sunglasses. I can't wait for my first pr of blue blockers.  :)

How about you other fine folks?  Anyone splurge on a car, watch, or sunglasses?  Do you know why you chose to do so?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only get sunglasses with glass lenses. And only when they are on sale at Big 5 Sporting goods. The current pair are made by Coyote and cost about 40 bucks. I lose them all the time.

My watch is an iPhone.

I drive three vehicles. A 2002 Jeep Liberty. A 2003 Toyota Tacoma pickup. And, a 2004 Buick LaSabre.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, I don't splurge on any of those.  I hate spending money on my work clothes so I buy them at WalMart or Good Will, however I will spend bucks on my hiking/backpacking clothes and gear.  I reuse zip locks, paper plates and Scott towels.  Last summer I put up a clothes line over our back deck and, now I hang my clothes to dry.  If it's rainy or snowy, I hang then over doors and a drying rack inside.  I try to save money when I can think of cheaper ways to go.  right now, my car (Nissan Xterra) is 12 years old, and I will drive it until it gets too expensive to repair, then I will get a car with very good gas mileage.  If I take long trips I borrow Bill's car, an Outback, which gets great mieage.  I don't get manicures, and I usually only get my hair cut just before heading to Dallas to visit my 97 year old mom, which is about every 3 - 4 months. I live too close to the paycheck line to do much splurging.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even if I won the lottery, I really don't think I'd change my lifestyle too much.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My sunglasses are those spring-loaded clip-ons, too.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, and my cell phone cost is $23.00 a month. OK, I really think I'm finished posting now.  Scheesh, guess you hit a note with me today!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah. Cuz I have the freedom of choice and disposable income. I do splurge on Arnett sunglasses, hiking gear and top notch restaurants.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never understood the desire for a big, clunky watch.  In my mind, it should cost more to build a slim, ultralight, watch.  I don't think those who know me would call me a dedicated follwer of fashion, but I think the watch you wear says a lot about your taste, and mine clearly says I value form and function over price.

Note:  My backpacking watch is a cheap Cassio digital.  I've found them to be rugged and reliable.

Sunglasses?

I take my styling from these guys (Ray Ban Wayfarers):

So I guess my sunglasses say: "I'm on a mission from God" or "It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

I spend at least 7 hours on the road every week and I like a car that's fun to drive with a fair amount of pickup.  Here's my current mode of transport

That's an Altima, not a 350Z so it does well in the snow.  With a 3.5V6 and a 6 speed manual trans, it's also a blast to drive.
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't wear a watch.  I buy $20 sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses. We bought a $42K vehicle this year, but I got it for $33K because I haggled really well ;)  I rarely buy anything that's not on sale

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As noted in the "consumerism" thread, I don't like to buy cheap stuff.  That includes watches, sunglasses, handbags and anything else.  Yes, I like designer things.  I can't say why, other than I have good taste :)

My watch is a Swiss Army, not necessarily designer, but it was probably about $300 (nowhere near a Rolex!) but it's lasted me 10 years so far and it doesn't look out of place in the office or on the trail.

I wear sunglasses almost every day, so I like them to look good but also last more than 1 year.  I spend around $200 a pair (have to be polarized!) and they last 2-3 years.   I have a $20 pair that goes on river trips and bp'ing trips.

It's all about personal preference!

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 11
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear a pair of $100 sunglasses I bought in 2003 when I lost the last pair I'd only had for 5 years.

I use the clock on my phone except when I'm backpacking. Then I use a cheap Timex that I keep in my pocket.

I bought the last 2 company vehicles assigned to me after the lease was up for ridiculously low $$$. Real chick magnets too. A 2005 Astro Van and a 2009 HHR panel version.
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't baby my sunglasses, and they don't tend to last long (expensive or not).  So I only buy cheapos.  I rarely have a pair of glasses last more than a year, and none more than two.  Spending $150 on a pair wouldn't fix that.

I haven't worn a watch for about 7 years now.  I prefer life without it, and have a cell-phone if I need to know the time.

But, as firedancer notes, it is about personal preference.  I find the "because I can!" arguments pretty stupid, but that's just my own $.02.  For the price of a high-end watch I could take the whole family to Alaska.  The choice is a no-brainer to me.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have splurged in the past, thinking that I would be less likely to lose them. However, I have proven to myself over and over again that I just can't seem to keep track of them. My wife has purchased several watches that cost more than I should have spent and I wouldn't spend less than $100 for a pair of sunglasses.

I haven't used a watch in about ten years now. I have been without sunglasses for about a year and have been considering a new pair but basically refuse to spend more than $30 for a pair anymore.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 14
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know this thread needs a soundtrack.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 15
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Also having minimal disposable income...and am not of the "If you've got it, flaunt it" persuasion, my timex has been in a coat pocket for months (couldn't get the back cover off to change batteries!), so I use my in-house clocks or the one in my UTE.

My UTE is a $40,000 +  2008 Ford Expedition which I bought new, and expect it to last me a long (lifetime?) time. Have put only 17,000 miles on it during the five years I've had it. It STILL looks showroom new.

My sunglasses I get from The Sportsman's Guide, when they're on "sale". I use them  usually when driving. Also have a pair of clip-ons for same.

No fancy restaurants...unless YOU'RE buying...!!
 Post Number: 16
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Value is a strictly personal thing.  I don't wear a watch because I keep breaking the bands on them.  They literally don't last more than a couple months the way I work my hands into tight places.  I could take my watch on and off but that became too much of a PITA.  So I do without.  But when I did have a watch, I liked the Swiss Army one like Firedancers; great watch with simple but elegant styling.  Nowadays, a watch is not as needed with cellphones and such.

I find that people who wear cheap sunglasses treat them like cheap sunglasses.  A loooooooong time ago I learned how to take care of my stuff.  I can keep track of my sunglasses for years, never losing them, sitting on them, or otherwise.  I like sunglasses which are optically clear, and that usually comes with a price.  There are lots of sunglasses out there which are not optically clear and that hinders your vision and strains your eyes.  It's like putting on cataracts.  Why do that? Spend money to get good vision and ones which shield from wind and extraneous light.  And since you are spending money, you might as well get a bit of style as well.

Transportation?  Well I want something which fits my needs and is dependable.  A person can hardly leave a showroom floor without spending at least $17k to $20k.  I keep my autos and such for a looooong time and since I do I want to enjoy the dang thing while using it.  In other words, if I could afford leather seats I would also get heated seats.  Heated outside mirrors and such is great as well.

Here is a video which says in effect the same thing I have expressed above; a nice ride, styling sunglasses, and little need for a watch.

Rumi      <~~~~~~~born to be wild

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 17
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a fancy pants watch. It was a gift from hubby on our honeymoon. That and my wedding ring is the only jewelry I currently own and they get worn 24/7.

Sunglasses? Nope. I lose at least 3-4 pair a year, so I stick with the cheap ones!

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 18
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:38 am)
I find that people who wear cheap sunglasses treat them like cheap sunglasses.  A loooooooong time ago I learned how to take care of my stuff.

Except for watches, apparently.  When I used to wear a watch I had the same one for 8 years without a problem.  But unlike some people "I learned a loooooong time ago how to take care of my stuff."

*rolling eyes on the stupid little value-judgements*

So you baby your sunglasses but quickly break watches.  Big deal.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought one of those citizen watches that don't need batteries. It's pretty sweet and don't have to worry about it going dead. I think I paid around 150 for it and it looks really cool which is nice.
 Post Number: 20
Burner973 Search for posts by this member.
Walk it off

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like turtles.

--------------
"A map is the greatest of all epic poems. Its lines and colors show the realization of great dreams." Gilbert H. Grosvenor

Peeps who keep repeating there posts sound like this after the second time, DERPA DERP UHHHHH DERPA.
 Post Number: 21
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watches made out of turtles are nice.
 Post Number: 22
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mine is made from unicorn leather.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 12 2013, 9:19 am)
. . . How about you other fine folks?  Anyone splurge on a car, watch, or sunglasses?  Do you know why you chose to do so?  

I generally only wear a watch when I have an appointment to keep. I bought a new one yesterday for the costly sum of $12 because I could not find a replacement battery for the old one. The new one tells time and nothing much more.

I bought a new pair of sunglasses last week for the costly sum of $18. Lowest price they had. UV protection but not polarizing. Not pink or chartreuse, either. Good enough.

Watches and sunglasses generally last me several years.

I bought a new small Chevy pickup last year. Paid $20,000 for a $25,000 vehicle, after discounts etc. That's the first new vehicle I've bought in decades. No frills, no bells and whistles. I looked for a used pickup for months but could not find one, so I bought new for a good price.

It was the most fuel-efficient small-sized pickup I could find. Standard transmission, small engine, no CD player, no key fob, no electric seat, no electric windows, no fancy wheels, etc.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 24
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 12 2013, 9:53 am)

(RumiDude @ Jul. 12 2013, 10:38 am)
I find that people who wear cheap sunglasses treat them like cheap sunglasses.  A loooooooong time ago I learned how to take care of my stuff.

Except for watches, apparently.  When I used to wear a watch I had the same one for 8 years without a problem.  But unlike some people "I learned a loooooong time ago how to take care of my stuff."

*rolling eyes on the stupid little value-judgements*

So you baby your sunglasses but can't seem to keep from breaking a watch.  Big deal.

Actually I did learn how to take care of my watch after I broke a few watch bands.  I learned to take the watch off and on.  I didn't like doing that so I quit wearing a watch.  I still have my nice Swiss Army watch somewhere in a box.

The thing I value about sunglasses is the optical clarity.  Cheep sunglasses don't have that clarity I value.  So I am willing to pay the price to get and keep good sunglasses with optical clarity.  Part of that price was the time and energy to train myself to take care of them, just like I learned to take care of my watch.  I don't toos my sunglasses around.  When not on my face, I place them where they won't get scratched or otherwise damaged.  I also take the time to remember where they are and remember not to walk off without them.  That takes a bit of mental energy, just like forming any other intentional habit.  But once I formed the habit, it is easy to keep track of sunglasses, car keys, bill fold, money, fill in the blank.

My comment you quoted was not intended as a value judgement but just an observation.  Rereading my post I can see how you might think so.  But I can also see that it could be read as I intended, a simple observation.  I apologize for not being clearer in my writing.

Take care,
Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 25
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 1:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own a Omega Seamaster chronometer that was given to me as a gift long ago in order to mark the start of my career path. All these years later I still wear it and it's the most expensive item I own. My plan is to pass it down to my kids.

My sunglasses are not high-end, but they are expensive given that I tend to use them for everything - hiking, shooting, climbing, fishing, biking, and outdoor work. So I try to buy ones that match all my needs.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 26
3-gun. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one set of eyes, I shoot, ride a bike and other things so $150.00 on sun glasses is worth it to me.
Watch, $100-$300 is ok.

Now lets not talk Hi end optic's for shooting. :laugh:

--------------
"But the new Admin. is a Master in IDPA"
"MASTER in IDPA..."
"is like C Class in IPSC!"
 Post Number: 27
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've worn glasses since I was in elementary school, and I like to be able to both see well (prescription sunglasses) and protect my eyes - UVA/B, etc.

I'd like to avoid eye damage/surgery if possible.  This  may be even more important to those who spend significant time at altitude.  I also insist on polarized lenses for clarity.

As for a watch, I like it to be functional.  So I have some sort of watch/altimeter/barometer/compass thing which I largely use just for time (Seiko?), plus the watch my oldest daughter and her husband gave me when she got married (can't beat that).

If I spent more time on longer trips features like the barometer might be more useful.  Also, I trust a Suunto or similar hand compass with proper declination more than the compass in a watch, even if it incorporates declination.  I may be wrong on that last point.
 Post Number: 28
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm one of the few people my age that still wears a watch.  I usually wear a very slim Omega I inherited from my father and have several other more expensive watches inherited but I rarely wear them.  I can't say I've spent more than a thousand or two on a watch myself.  That seems to afford a reasonably designed watch from better manufacturers.  

I can't say I spend very much on clothes or sunglasses.  I've been shopping at A&F so long it would feel weird to shop anywhere else except for dress clothes.  I have to get suits custom made because fitting a 42" chest with a 30" waist is just not something you find off the shelf without tailoring it so much its basically custom anyway.  

Cars are a horrible investment and since I fly most places I don't drive enough to want a nice car.  I have a little 2010 Volvo C30 that's good enough for me.  

Nice homes are another matter.  They're a great investment given the current market and with mortgage rates below inflation I earn money just by buying one.  I'm very fortunate be in my mid twenties and to have a nice home in Illinois and quite recently a very nice second home in Whitefish just outside Glacier.
 Post Number: 29
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 12 2013, 1:23 pm)
I'm one of the few people my age that still wears a watch.  I usually wear a very slim Omega I inherited from my father and have several other more expensive watches inherited but I rarely wear them.  

More expensive than an Omega?

Like what, a Rolex?

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 12 2013, 4:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Different strokes for different folks.  I can imagine Paris Hilton rolling her eyes at someone spending hundreds of dollars on an ugly backpack with a brand unrecognizable by anyone on Rodeo Drive.  Sometimes rationality and frivolity are in the eyes of the beholder.

Are some (or most) of the ads selling expensive sunglasses and watches just shallow to the core?  Perhaps.  But then, so are many of the outdoorsy ads.  You know, buy this tent or wear this Goretex and stand up to everything that Mother Nature can throw at you!  Wow, wow, wow!!

Thank heavens for freedom of choice.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
69 replies since Jul. 12 2013, 11:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply high end watches and sunglasses
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions