2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking Topic, How you doing this year?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last year was kinda a bust for me as far as BPing goes.  I did a few things but the big trip I planned ended early due to illness.  But this year has been great for getting out.  We just got back from another weekend trip and another 25+ miles in the backcountry.  We saw two fledgling owls making a racket up in the trees.  The still had much of their baby downy feathers but could fly from tree to tree.  We saw a bald eagle screeching as he flew way overhead.  We also saw a family of pheasants.  The weather was great.  We are enjoying a great year and the summer has just began.

So, how about you?  How has your year been for getting out into the backcountry?

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Busted heel.  No backpacking likely this year.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, that is tough.  Hope you heal quickly and completely.  The you can get back to your regular activities.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm continuing to get out regularly, but I've been resorting to some "unspectacular" areas in steppe and scrub forest. Hence, I rarely bother to remove my camera from my pack. They are not the areas people here ask about or seek out. But they are pleasantly devoid of other hikers. And every week the scenery changes, however unspectacular. I'm noticing little things I've somehow overlooked for years. Most of the area is prime mountain-lion country, and I'm continually seeking tracks.

My area has received an unusual surplus of rain in later springtime and early summer. That has provided some unexpected treats in greenery and even wildlife. In an area long considered absent of bears, there have been several confirmed sightings just recently. And that adds to my enthusiasm. On the other hand, I've shunned the beetle-killed forests bequeathed by long drought and warmer winter temperatures.

Because of the rugged terrain and lack of scenic grandeur, I'm actually bushwhacking areas humans may have never or rarely ever visited. There simply is little reason for anyone but me to be there, and I'm content with that. I doubt that even Native Americans took those routes. But the night skies are still magnificent. The cool night air is still invigorating. The starry skies still host a bird call or wildlife alarm. So whatever. I guess I'm doing things my way, and that's okay with me.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had three backpacking trips this year, one for 6 days.  I'm partially out of action with a hip condition that should eventually clear up, so I hope to get in a bunch of hiking later in the year.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had my annual trip to the Big Ditch, spending almost 2 weeks in the bag.  I had a kayak trip in Jan which resulted in more nights out, but none backpacking.  My big trip in Aug or Sept this yr was cancelled due to moving.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had an everglades trip with ol-zeke in January and another everglades trip in March with a friend.  This spring I backpacked 240 miles of the AT from Hot Springs NC to Mt. Roger's Visitor Center in VI.  I have just returned from a paddling trip on the St. Croix River in WI and have more trips planned.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Travis, we have gone over some familiar territory as well.  But as you say, if you keep your eyes open, there are always new things to see in familiar areas.  Good to hear you are Regular.  hehe

Well big_load, hadn't heard about your hip.  Hope it clears up as expected.  I have two week long trips planned for August.  Actually one is a week long work party with WTA up on Anderson Pass in ONP.  As a bonus, it will also be during the Perseids.  chaching  The other week long trip is with HoosierDaddy on the PCT.  I think Ldyblad has some plans for me as well.  Anyway, get well!

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 15 2013, 12:28 am)
Anyway, get well!

Thanks!  I've been ignoring it, since I hoped it would get better on its own and figured it would be something permanent if not.  I was disappointed to be wrong about the former, and relieved to be wrong about the latter.
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 14 2013, 10:28 pm)
Travis, we have gone over some familiar territory as well.  But as you say, if you keep your eyes open, there are always new things to see in familiar areas.  Good to hear you are Regular.  hehe. . . .

Yeah, thanks. I've never aspired to be a constipated backpacker. It's the weight thing you know. Gotta trim those ounces. Heh, heh.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a few decent hikes so far and going kayaking for a week coming a week from now, a relatively big hike in a few weeks and a 3-day solo float coming up. This fall, no major plans except for a return to a few haunts with my good camera so I can get some decent pictures. So...much better than last year. I don't think I went on a single summer hike last year and was basically limited to off-season hiking (which ain't so bad either I guess). Most of last year was spent working on my yard.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost nothing except a few day hikes and late spring x-county ski day trips.   A temporary job this spring took far more time than I anticipated which I was not happy about at all.  I do have a major trip that I have been planning for nearly a year starting in a week or so but just lately there are some things going on that may well shoot that down as well.  Some times things just do't work out regardless of how well you plan them.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So far the wilderness above Ojai, CA, then the Gila, the Pecos, and Latir Peak for backpacking.  Did some other trips but mostly day or base camp.  

Fires, fire restrictions, and last years burns put some areas off-limits.  Spent more time driving than usual.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 14
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did 5 trips early this year under the guise of volunteering for the Forest Service. Scouted some very rough & remote trails, cleared some trails, wrote a few campfire permits, had a good time with other volunteers. Hiking season near home is October - May and I do lots of trips then.

Now I'm trying to work out at least a week in the Sierra solo before summer is over.
 Post Number: 15
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get out every weekend, either on dayhikes or fishing.  Just love to be out.  In Florida during the summer I'm off the trail by noon.  I go through a 2L bladder and two 24oz bottles of gatoraide in 4 - 5 hours.

My wife and I went to Sequoia NP in mid June and had a great trip.  Hiked a lot of miles but stayed at a lodge.  My big trip comes at the end of August, two weeks in Wyoming, 9 days backpacking in the Winds.  Constantly daydreaming about it already..

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 16
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year has been lousey for me. My wife has an injured shoulder, so no canoeing or long distance bping with her. She can do short trips of less than 5 miles but otherwise the pack bothers her shoulder too much. Then I have been having some heel and achilles tendon pain which has been hobbling me from doing any long trips. And now to add to it I have to have my gallbladder out next month, so will be out of commission for a couple of weekends there.
 Post Number: 17
VAN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last year I had one  trip, to Torreya State Park with the Southern Forum folks. Then spent the rest of the year pregnant...

This year, I have had one over night with the whole family (including the newest little one).

It is hotter then hell here right now (Florida) and I am dreaming of all the trips and places I can be this winter. Hopeful we can get out at least once a month Oct- March for at least some car camping.

--------------
"Long you live and high you fly. And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry. And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd
 Post Number: 18
markweth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 9:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been getting out a decent amount this year. I started a new job in mid-March that keeps me busy 40+ hours a week and I've been mostly limited to weekends due to the accrual period for vacation time. Fortunately, I'm only a 20 minute drive from some excellent hiking and backpacking opportunities (national forest and a designated wilderness) on the Cumberland Plateau. So I've been able to do a few overnights nearby and did get one three-night trip in down to the southern Appalachian mountains (Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness). Since no one else has posted photos yet, I thought I'd post a single photo from each of my trips this year.

From a three-night and mostly off-trail trip in early March. Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky.

Overnight trip to the Clifty Wilderness and one of my favorite campsites. Red River Gorge Geological Area, Daniel Boone National Forest, Kentucky.

Sunrise at an off-trail natural arch in the Red River Gorge Geological Area. This is the view I woke up to from my campsite on an overnight trip in April.

Wildflowers along the trail on an overnight trip in early May. Red River Gorge Geological Area.

From my most recent trip, a three-night loop in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness.

And come to think of it, I went on a two-night backpacking trip in late January, but didn't take any pictures on it.

So, I've been out 11 nights this year. Which isn't bad, but a personal goal of mine for my last few years of college and throughout grad school was to spend 10% of the year (37 nights) on backpacking trips. I didn't meet it the first year I tried (2008) but met it every year from 2009-2012. It's looking like I won't be able to make it happen for 2013 at the rate I'm going, but hopefully I'll be able to make up for some lost time once I get some vacation time and the nice autumn weather starts. Being so close to a national forest I won't really be able to make any excuses.

--------------
Mostly Southeastern Outdoor Scenery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mvweth
 Post Number: 19
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Being unemployed has the advantage of being able to walk more often.  Three winter weekends, Hocking Hills in Ohio, South Manitou, MI, Day hiking on the North Country Trail in MI, North Manitou planned for Sept.  401 hiking miles year to date, goal is 500+.  Cancer surgery last Aug put me at zer miles for the remainder of '12. Started tracking miles Jan 1. Sorry no pics.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 20
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty good so far. I did the ADK Winter Mountaineering School, with a climb up Giant Mt in Feb, which was a real highlight. Several winter dayhikes in Vt and Harriman SP, and a spring overnight in Harriman. And we're looking forward to 8 days in the Beartooths in August. I'm also planning to get out more (plus some overnights) when winter returns. (80 deg and humid at 6 this morning in NYC, going up to 93!)
 Post Number: 21
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I get out for a 5 to 10 mile hike every weekend, but so far only one one-night backpacking trip.
 Post Number: 22
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Markweth--Like your fotog from the top of Hangover Mt.

I've been pretty lucky this year as I've had 6 backpacking trips and here's how they played out---

**  January 18 day trip.
**  February 18 days.
**  March 16 days.
**  April 18 days.
**  May 18 days.
**  June/July 17 days.

But who knows what's going to happen month to month?

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 23
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've gotten out on a couple short trips.  Have a longer one planned in a couple weeks and another short trip Labor Day weekend.
 Post Number: 24
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm doing OK--had a long trip in Colorado earlier this month and going for another 3-day quickie next week.

I have been taking almost daily urban hikes in the deep wooded ravine a few blocks from my house, though. Saw a nice-sized buck this morning.
 Post Number: 25
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did one four day in late April along the Arizona Trail. Should get another multi-day hike done in late Fall. A couple of day hikes now and then.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well a calendar year is really an arbitrary time period to judge activities like BPing/hiking.  The real issue is are we personally satisfied with our level of activity.  That often means we have to make difficult decisions between balancing other activities in our lives.

Anyway, glad to read here that many of us are getting out and others are planning.  All of you on the gimp list, get better.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 27
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year hasn't been all that great in me getting out for bag nights. But I am filling freetime with fishing.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 28
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went out for an overnighter this weekend, and have an overnighter planned for next weekend.

Due to having two old cats, I am limiting this year's trips to overnighters only. Plus, I am having back issues and can't carry much.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 29
Dicentra Search for posts by this member.
Bring it.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been out a few times. Got the kidling out on her 1st backpack and I leave for a section hike on the PCT next week.

--------------
One Pan Wonders  ~  Back Country Cooking at its Finest
 Post Number: 30
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, I'm happy. I stole your wife for a weekend and got out ;-)

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
52 replies since Jul. 14 2013, 11:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking Topic
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions