2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: IMBA now officailly on board, advocating bikes on PCT, NCT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 10:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Today Via their facebook page the International Mountain Biking Association confirmed that they are now supporting Bikes on National Scenic Trails including the Pacific Crest Trail and North Country Trail.  They wrote

"Please know that IMBA will continue to advocate for appropriate bike access on National Scenic Trails -- as mountain bikers have enjoyed for years on many segments of NST routes. We believe that biking is thoroughly compatible with other trail activities. That doesn't mean we will ask for access to every mile of every trail -- there are places where bikes won't work. But we also know that in many instances hikers, bikers and horsemen can share trails."

Within the last Week IMBA put out a donation advertising saying they will advocate for bikes on the Pacific Crest Trail and the mentioned that bikes were recently banned from a section of the NCT.  The NCT claim is a little misleading because what really happened is that a new mountain bike trail will be built so Mountain bikers will have their own trail instead of using the NCT.

At any rate, I thought everyone should know about this and be prepared to advocate for hiking.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMBA can go  elsewhere.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dayhike on multiuse trails, which I'm comfortable with because a daypack doesn't badly impair my ability to leap aside when a thoughtless hellion rips by.  I can't imagine being able to react quickly enough when fully laden.
 Post Number: 5
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I'm sure the bikers will stay off the steep, erosion prone portions of the trail from which they're prohibited...or not.  I've seen plenty of instances of wire strung across trails frequented by illicit bike and atv riders.  I won't put them up except on my own property but I'll gladly step under them when I find them on other trails.
 Post Number: 6
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think we should be at war with Trail riders, but I am not in favor of bikes being allowed on the PCT at all.  The two activities just are not that compatable for single track.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stepping under wire is wrong.  The law would probably say you were an accomplice to any injury.  I am not in favor of bikes and hikers sharing trails, for the obvious reason mentioned in another thread this week, but I am not so callous as to allow harm to be done to a rider if I can help it.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8
isawtman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 17 2013, 12:11 am)
And I'm sure the bikers will stay off the steep, erosion prone portions of the trail from which they're prohibited...or not.  I've seen plenty of instances of wire strung across trails frequented by illicit bike and atv riders.  I won't put them up except on my own property but I'll gladly step under them when I find them on other trails.

Booby trapping any trail is totally unacceptable.  Even if it's a trail that is a hiking only trail. This sort of talk is just helping Mountain Bikers claim that they are being discriminated against, and it is portraying hikers in a bad light.
 Post Number: 9
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 7:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMBA is a very responsible organization and their members do tons of trail work
Of course they would advocate opening as much trail as possible. They are advocating an opening of a discussion. The attitude of some of you is deplorable. They say let's talk. You say kill or injure riders. Really?

I ride.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 10
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have your discussion.  It should be 100% adherence to the rules.  Yield to hikers, don't go where you aren't supposed to.  

I think booby traps are the lowest form of access control.  You want to protect your private property, put up a real gate.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In WNY, the local IMBA affiliate WNYMBA has created an excessive number of trails, going around practically every tree in a county conservation park.  They seem incapable of riding a singe trail out and back.  They want loops and multiple trails through ever inch of an asset.  Once they get their foothold in an asset, no piece of vegetation is safe.
 Post Number: 12
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank goodness much of Wyoming's CDT is in designated wilderness.

I have many friends that Mt. Bike in Colorado. They're very concientous, unfortunately many others I've come across haven't been. I've seen what No Gods have from Mt. Bikes, Motorcycles, and ATVs.

Personally I think bikers and other motorized/mechanized travellers have plenty of trails to ride right now. If they want longer trails to ride IMO they need to do what the long distance hiking trail advocates did; spend a lot of time, energy, and money MAKING THEM AND ASSURING THEIR PROTECTION FROM THE BEGINING.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For the most part bikers are all about their bikes... trails are just a place they can use them. The ethos is totally different than backpackers, and it shows...

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bill g @ Jul. 17 2013, 7:26 am)
IMBA is a very responsible organization and their members do tons of trail work
Of course they would advocate opening as much trail as possible. They are advocating an opening of a discussion. The attitude of some of you is deplorable. They say let's talk. You say kill or injure riders. Really?

I ride.

Tons of trail work?  I'd rather do my own trailwork and keep the bikes out.  Of course they do trailwork so they can ride the trails.  ATV's types do trailwork too so they can spew.

Americans are captivated by the Machine Age and drool over the rolling wheel so instead we need giant places to go without these useless two-wheeled machines.  If trail honchos are even considering this then it shows how stupidly brainwashed they are by the bike lobby and by the typical American connection to Nature BUT ONLY WHEN ROLLING.

Bicyclists can use the trails I backpack---and many of these trails are in designated wilderness areas---they can dump their machines and come in ON FOOT.  See, we all have access, ON FOOT.

Thank God for the wilderness areas where these fast moving bike droolers can't go.  With millions of miles of American roads (and dirt roads) you'd think they'd be satisfied but no they want it all.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 15
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HikeClimbBike @ Jul. 16 2013, 10:11 pm)

Wow dude.  Your lack of conscience is deplorable.

I find many mtn-bikers and their disregard for others on the trail annoying too, but I don't think for a second that it gives me some right to play god and set lethal booby traps.

Folks like you give everyone with whom you're associated a horribly bad name.  Right now bikers read this thread and only come away thinking about the self-righteous sick terrorists those hikers are.  Ugh.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen plenty of instances of wire strung across trails frequented by illicit bike and atv riders.  I won't put them up except on my own property but I'll gladly step under them when I find them on other trails.

Booby traps on private property are also illegal, and if someone gets hurt, you are liable....even if you didn't put them there.
 Post Number: 17
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 17 2013, 11:23 am)

Wow dude.  Your lack of conscience is deplorable.

I find many mtn-bikers and their disregard for others on the trail annoying too, but I don't think for a second that it gives me some right to play god and set lethal booby traps.

Folks like you give everyone with whom you're associated a horribly bad name.  Right now bikers read this thread and only come away thinking about the self-righteous sick terrorists those hikers are.  Ugh.

I'm suprised he uses something so low tech as wire, with his superior intelligence and engineer skills I'm amazed he doesn't use a laser.

Troll

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 18
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 17 2013, 6:41 am)
Have your discussion.  It should be 100% adherence to the rules.  Yield to hikers, don't go where you aren't supposed to.  

I think booby traps are the lowest form of access control.  You want to protect your private property, put up a real gate.

This.
 Post Number: 19
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Jul. 17 2013, 8:41 am)

For this reason I think blowdowns should be left on hiking trails---they block the trail and cause bikers to stop and dismount---always a good thing.

Plus, it's a good idea to take photos of bicyclists in wilderness areas where they don't belong---and post them on the web.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 20
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One solution might be to require registration of all mountain bikes on State and federal lands.  Complete with tags on the bikes.  Then, photos would be proof they were in the wrong places or doing the wrong things.  A photo, a phone call, a sworn statement...bike confiscation.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 21
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 17 2013, 11:31 am)

I've seen plenty of instances of wire strung across trails frequented by illicit bike and atv riders.  I won't put them up except on my own property but I'll gladly step under them when I find them on other trails.

Booby traps on private property are also illegal, and if someone gets hurt, you are liable....even if you didn't put them there.

True.  But its perfectly reasonable to run a plastic coated wire around the entire border of one's property.  Plenty of of folks just run barbed wire.
 Post Number: 22
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Bicycle_Trail

If there is already a PCBT, why do they want to have bikes on the "real" PCT too?
 Post Number: 23
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least when I lived in CA, I can testify that the prohibition of bicycles on the PCT was widely and openly ignored. Some hikes I saw more bikers than hikers, especially in the Big Bear area.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buzzards @ Jul. 19 2013, 5:17 pm)
At least when I lived in CA, I can testify that the prohibition of bicycles on the PCT was widely and openly ignored. Some hikes I saw more bikers than hikers, especially in the Big Bear area.

And THAT is the problem... as a group, I doubt there is a more "entitled" arrogant bunch than cyclists....

--------------
 Post Number: 25
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just not in favor of this.  When I mountain bike it's about speed and taking turns very fast, so I prefer trails that I can see around the corner and there's no slow moving pedestrians around.  An unprotected area for me to maybe dodge off trail a bit.  

Backpacking is a bit where I can slow down, halt, take a picture, etc..   There needs to be two different trail systems in most places.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
24 replies since Jul. 16 2013, 10:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply IMBA now officailly on board
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions