2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 5 Health Benefits of Beards< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5 Health Benefits of Beards (Yes, Beards)
By Mother Nature Network (mnn.com)
Healthy Living – 3 hours ago

And although detractors may deny it, modern biologists have reaffirmed Darwin's theory with evidence that the ladies find mates with beards more attractive than their clean-shaven brethren.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shaving is easier to do than trimming a beard and mustache.

Rumi    <~~~~~~smooth as a baby's bottom

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 19 2013, 11:44 am)

Trim?

Takes less than 10 minutes once every couple of weeks to trim with an electric beard trimmer. It takes three minutes to shave my neck every few days.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the old days, miners with bushy mustaches were much less likely to develop black lung disease.

Since I don't work in a mine (or in the sun for that matter) I shave, but will happily let mine grow while I'm backpacking.
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome. I've worn a beard for almost 30 years now.

Lately it's mostly been a goatee, but it often turns into a full beard after after BPing trips.
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 19 2013, 12:47 pm)

(RumiDude @ Jul. 19 2013, 11:44 am)

Trim?

Takes less then 10 minutes once every couple of weeks to trim with an electric beard trimmer. It takes three minutes to shave my neck every few days.

+1.  I keep it short and trim with an electric trimmer every 5-9 days or so, and takes me 5 minutes or less.

Shaving daily (or every-other-daily, back when I was clean-shaven) was a far bigger pain in the arse.  YMMV, of course.

Speaking purely anecdotally, when I began dating around again after my divorce, I got laid a heckuva lot more often when I decided to keep my beard (after returning from a long backpacking trip I just didn't feel like shaving clean no' more) than before I'd left and was still clean-shaven.  Just an anecdote, but still. :D

(And yes, my wife's aware of this, no need for me to keep it a secret.)

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had bears of all sorts.  I once grew a bear which I never trimmed, except for over five years.  I have found for myself, it is just much easier to keep it nice and neat by shaving every day.  It is just part of my ritual.  I have gotten lazy lately and sometimes let it go for a couple days.  

Anyway, the supposed benefits listed in that "article" are a real stretch of the imagination.  I doubt any serious health expert would cite such things.  One of the things which does help mens' faces look young is the continued exfoliation which shaving affords.  That is a real benefit to shaving.  

I say, do with yer whiskers as you please and I'll do the same.

Rumi     <~~~~shaves in the shower

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm surprised at how much sun protection I get from even a minimal-length beard.
 Post Number: 9
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It makes me happy to not shave my face.  A happy me is a healthier me.
 Post Number: 10
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 19 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife talked me into growing a beard to show her family when we went back to the Philippines in June.  Guess how many people made any comment on it?  NONE.  Not to me.  Not even any comments to her.  But, her brother's wife did notice that I had lost some weight.  No one else saw that.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 11
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is this shaving you talk about?  

Over 43 years ago I faintly remember something that involved a sharp blade, my face and an occasional trickle of blood.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Beards are good.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Food saver...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 20 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jul. 20 2013, 9:37 pm)
Food saver...

+1

Also does a good job of hiding double chins

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
13 replies since Jul. 19 2013, 2:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 5 Health Benefits of Beards
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions