2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Work SMART, not hard, Worst advice in the world!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KenV Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame recently talked about the advice he got  from his high school guidance counselor who told him to go to college and "Work Smart, Not Hard."  Mike makes a strong argument why that was (and still is) the worst advice EVER.  

He starts out by saying that although a Scout is Clean, he's not afraid to get dirty.  And goes on to show how these two thoughts relate.

LINK

NOTE: Mike's presentation (and the video) is about 30 minutes long.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The idea is to work smart and make your boss think you're working hard.....
 Post Number: 3
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw him expound on this, mentioning the huge debt people incur while attending college.  His idea was college should not be the goal for everyone, but there are very good jobs out there in the blue collar trades that require a vocational school or an apprenticeship.  Nothing wrong with hard, dirty, work.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:42 pm)
I saw him expound on this, mentioning the huge debt people incur while attending college.  His idea was college should not be the goal for everyone, but there are very good jobs out there in the blue collar trades that require a vocational school or an apprenticeship.  Nothing wrong with hard, dirty, work.

Indeed.  And even if you do go to college, there's still nothing wrong with hard, dirty, work.
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And if you're doing hard dirty work, there's nothing wrong with finding a better way to do it.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:02 pm)
Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame recently talked about the advice he got  from his high school guidance counselor who told him to go to college and "Work Smart, Not Hard."  Mike makes a strong argument why that was (and still is) the worst advice EVER.  

He starts out by saying that although a Scout is Clean, he's not afraid to get dirty.  And goes on to show how these two thoughts relate.

LINK

NOTE: Mike's presentation (and the video) is about 30 minutes long.

I don't know... so Mike took your basic dirty grunt job, made a popular TV show where he just had to do it for a couple of hours, maybe a day at most, and makes a lot more money.

College aside, seems to me he's the perfect example of "work smart, not hard".

(Haven't seen the video; I'm at work and can't really watch it.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To be really successful, it helps to work smart AND hard.
 Post Number: 8
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an owner of a custom manufacturing business, I can tell you I have made a lot more money by working smarter than harder - and I also work a lot less hours per year than someone with the opposite attitude.

But yeah, if you're content to be a worker bee ... then the quote you mention is at first glance correct. No sense knowing that you're making your boss tons of money. Ignorance is bliss.

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
3pinner Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:42 pm)

I've done hard dirty work for more than 30 years. Both houses are paid for, all vehicles are paid for, haven't had any outstanding debt for some time. Never went to college, but did attend University of Hard Knocks. Started out at minimum wage and went up from there.
I really enjoy my trade. You are what you make yourself, and you really don't need college to have a reasonably comfortable life. Just have to be willing to work hard, and GET smarter as you go.
 Post Number: 10
cowgiano Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those 2 things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
 Post Number: 11
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cowgiano @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:54 pm)
Those 2 things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Yeah, this.

I agree partly with the "college isn't necessarily needed" point.  It really depends what you want to do with said degree.  If the only goal is to "get a job that will allow me to live a comfortable life", that in itself isn't a great reason to go to college.  And as Mike Rowe points out, it isn't really necessary either.  However, if you really hope to be a lawyer, a college professor, a surgeon or even a school teacher, "good luck" if you don't have the initials behind your name and the specialized education it took to get them.

Being smart has nothing to do with going to college, or not going to college.  The two are orthogonal traits.  Too many seem to conflate the two in either direction.

ETA:  But before we get side-tracked on ideals, keep in mind the hard stats on non-college vs. college educated individuals in the general case, which kinda refutes Mike Rowe's opinion a bit:
What does a $64,000 investment return in dividends? According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, not only is there a $400 per week difference in earnings between those with a high school diploma and those with a bachelor’s degree, there is also a substantial difference in unemployment. As of the end of 2011, high-school only workers were unemployed at a rate of 9.4% while those with a bachelor’s degree had an unemployment rate of 4.9% (4.1% as of July 2012). Most interesting is the fact that the total cost of degree acquisition ($64,000) is repaid through the increased, salary ($1600 per month, or $19,200 per year) in less than four years. Not a bad ROI, and with a 50% increase in job security to boot. The difference between a degree holder’s earnings and those of a high school-only worker are sizeable over a lifetime. According to the U.S. Government Info Web site, “… a high school graduate can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor’s degree $2.1 million; and people with a master’s degree $2.5 million.”

A paragraph snipped from http://www.forbes.com/sites....-degree

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 12
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jul. 23 2013, 6:28 pm)

And have a management system above you who recognizes it and provides rewards/incentives.

Currently I do not have that and the entire team's lack of motivation is becoming more apparent to everybody but the bosses.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jul. 23 2013, 6:28 pm)

Which was exactly what Mike said.  To really succeed, we need to work smart AND hard.
 Post Number: 14
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it means don't make you're job any smarter than it really is. Which is hard to do if you're a ditch digger.
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or in the case of one Mike once stooped for pretend to do both and do next to nothing and reap obsecene benefits at the expense of everyone else.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jul. 24 2013, 10:22 am)
Or in the case of one Mike once stooped for pretend to do both and do next to nothing and reap obsecene benefits at the expense of everyone else.

The grammar in this sentence makes it nearly impossible to tell what you're trying to say.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 24 2013, 12:54 pm)

(double cabin @ Jul. 24 2013, 10:22 am)

The grammar in this sentence makes it nearly impossible to tell what you're trying to say.

Not to mention the run ons, non sequiturs, ad hominem and drunkenness.
 Post Number: 18
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're working too hard gentlemen.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 19
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:28 pm)

I guess that depends on your definition of successful

Does more vacation time to go backpacking factor into the equation?
 Post Number: 20
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've seen far too many people given the simple job of moving a rock pile, carrying the rocks to a wheelbarrow, instead of moving the wheelbarrow to the rock pile. Some of them were college students. Everyone can get more work done, if they think about how best to do it. Implying anything else is moronically wasteful of effort. The worst manager I ever worked for was a landscape architect that was always in a hurry to complete each task, without thinking strategically about the entire job. We wasted far too much time moving materials multiple times or having to go back to the shop for needed tools. Educated people aren't necessarily smarter then someone that just knows how to work.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 24 2013, 1:09 pm)

I certainly think so.  But for some people that would not factor in at all.
 Post Number: 22
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ecocentric @ Jul. 24 2013, 11:42 am)
I've seen far too many people given the simple job of moving a rock pile, carrying the rocks to a wheelbarrow, instead of moving the wheelbarrow to the rock pile. Some of them were college students. Everyone can get more work done, if they think about how best to do it. Implying anything else is moronically wasteful of effort. The worst manager I ever worked for was a landscape architect that was always in a hurry to complete each task, without thinking strategically about the entire job. We wasted far too much time moving materials multiple times or having to go back to the shop for needed tools. Educated people aren't necessarily smarter then someone that just knows how to work.

I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "work smart, not hard". What I have heard is "work smarter, not harder" and I always interpreted it in the way Eco mentioned. More task related than life ambition related.

IMO, find your passion and do whatever the heck it takes to achieve it.
 Post Number: 23
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An electrician working for Local 48 in Portland makes $35 an hour, with a good pension, good health insurance, and some other benefits.  They get no paid sick days, or paid vacations, or holidays, as they are expected to budget for their time off.  Unemployment has a direct relation to their ability to demonstrate skills, both task oriented and people skills.  Not sure how many degrees can offer the same, with just 5 years of a few classes and OJT.  

Now, I am not dissing education, and GBH certainly makes a few good points about career choices, but those statistics about HS ed vs College degree are certainly not talking about the trades.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 24 2013, 5:21 pm)
Now, I am not dissing education, and GBH certainly makes a few good points about career choices, but those statistics about HS ed vs College degree are certainly not talking about the trades.

I made it a point to emphasize "in the general case," since there are obviously a lot of exceptions on either side.  You know OZ I have a ton of respect for the work you've done and the life you've been able to live as a result of it, in a lot of ways.

OTOH, one can pick out doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc to paint the same picture on the other side, in professions where degrees are required.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 24 2013, 1:09 pm)

Sure.  That may come in the form of traditional paid vacation, or other types of time not working.
 Post Number: 26
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Then there is the old adage, "if you have a hard job, give it to your laziest worker, he'll find the easiest way to get it done".

Which I have found isn't really true.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 24 2013, 8:47 pm)
Then there is the old adage, "if you have a hard job, give it to your laziest worker, he'll find the easiest way to get it done".

Which I have found isn't really true.

If you need to get something done, give it to the busiest person.
 Post Number: 28
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Wailer @ Jul. 24 2013, 3:04 pm)

I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "work smart, not hard". What I have heard is "work smarter, not harder" and I always interpreted it in the way Eco mentioned. More task related than life ambition related.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Rumi     <~~~~~hardly smart

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 24 2013, 9:26 pm)

(Wailer @ Jul. 24 2013, 3:04 pm)

^^^^THIS^^^^

Rumi     <~~~~~hardly smart

There are a lot of folks VERY passionate about the arts; dancing, music, painting, acting, etc.

Making a decent living at these passions is VERY unlikely, no matter how pasionate the individual, or how smart and hard they work at it.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 25 2013, 9:12 am)
Making a decent living at these passions is VERY unlikely, no matter how pasionate the individual, or how smart and hard they work at it.

I know a number of folks who do exactly that.  Is it easy?  No.  They're very talented and very dedicated at what they do though, and they find ways make it work.

I agree that most people who start out in that direction (the arts and humanities), don't end up making livings from it.  But I disagree very much that they wouldn't succeed at it "no matter how passionate the individual, or how smart and hard they work at it."  That notion is popular among  people who gave up on their dreams a long time ago.  I can't say anything personal about you Ken, but I find that type of attitude poisonous.

Brick walls are only there to let you prove how badly you want it.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
51 replies since Jul. 23 2013, 3:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Work SMART, not hard
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions