2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Obesity (especially youth obesity) in the USA, Any ideas?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KenV Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:28 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a number of requests to start a new thread on the obesity problem in the USA, with particular attention to youth obesity.

So here it is.

So what think you:
Is there an obesity problem in the USA?
Is there a youth obesity problem in the USA?
What are some causal factors to obesity?
What can we do to reduce obesity? Especially in our youth.
What have you done to overcome a personal weight problem?  Do you think it would work for others?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 23 2013, 1:28 pm)
I've had a number of requests to start a new thread on the obesity problem in the USA, with particular attention to youth obesity.

So here it is.

So what think you:

Yes.

Yes.

Extraordinarily poor diets, horrible eating habits (both learned and acquired), and little exercise.

Give them better foods to eat, teach them better eating habits, get them outside doing fun things instead of sitting in front of a screen.  My kids are the scrawny energetic little beansprouts you'd expect a 7- and 5-year-old to be.

What have you done to overcome a personal weight problem?

I haven't ever had a big weight "problem", although I did weigh about 15 lbs more when I lived in Louisiana.  Moving to Oregon, my diet improved dramatically and I've kept it off since.  I pay more attention to what I eat/drink now than I did in my 20s.

Do you think it would work for others?

Probably, if they chose to eat better.  But that's not really my thing to decide.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nature vs nurture. I read on the Internet a woman gave birth to a cheeseburger. Now how is that child going to be perceived through life?
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am moving to the Land of Fried Foods.  Okra, catfish, and chicken will be my downfalls. Luckily, I am an adult and have some portion control.  Biscuits and gravy?  1 biscuit please.  Chicken fried steak? Just a small piece, thank you.

I read where artificially sweetened food make a person crave more sweets, adding to the weight gain problem.  Maybe ban all artificial sweeteners except for diabetics.

As a Nation, we do have an obesity problem, and it directly affects our medical costs.  Do we refuse smoker treatment for lung cancer?  An obese person treatment for new knees?  A person with multiple DUI's doesn't get a new liver?  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First question - why is obesity a problem? What result of obesity is so unique to obesity that warrants we focus just on obesity?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:39 pm)
As a Nation, we do have an obesity problem, and it directly affects our medical costs.  Do we refuse smoker treatment for lung cancer?  An obese person treatment for new knees?  A person with multiple DUI's doesn't get a new liver?  [/color]

I've never been obese.  I've been an athlete all my life.  I lettered in three sports in high school and college, continued an active life style after college, even playing senior league baseball (not softball) until I was 49.  I'm 60 and hiking 8 to 10 miles every weekend despite advancing arthritis in my hips and knees (and four previous knee operations.)

But that active life style has come with a hefty medical cost.  This year alone I have been treated by a podiatrist, orthopedic, and rheumatologist.  I've had full body xrays and mri's, two treatments for a morton's neuroma, a prescription for celebrex (that cost my insurer about $200 per month), Synvisc injects in both knees (a recurring treatment every 6 months) and just had cortisone injected into one knee yesterday with the recommendation that I get cortisone injected into both hips (a rather expensive procedure because it has to be done with a radiologists.)

Just this year I've gone through medical expenses that are twice what I pay in annual premiums for health insurance, and no end in site if I keep trying to maintain an active life style.  In fact, if I stopped all my exercise and became obese I'd be a lot less of a financial strain on the health care system.

Sure, obesity strains the health care system.  So does athletic activity.  We should try to educate people on how to avoid health issues, but to do so we have to address lack of exercise as well as participation in exercise.
 Post Number: 7
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:44 pm)
First question - why is obesity a problem? What result of obesity is so unique to obesity that warrants we focus just on obesity?

There's no one problem unique to obesity.

What is unique is the breadth and depth of problems that result from obesity.  Obesity affects so many areas of our health its difficult to list them all.

Obesity in kids has huge long term affects that may not manifest till decades later.  Its so bad, that for the first time in many many generations, the next generation may have a shorter life span than the previous generation.  Worse still, the quality of life for that generation in their later years will by significantly lower.
 Post Number: 8
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the whole of this subject has already been very much explored as near to death as it can get without actually succumbing to it.

These questions will net you the regurgitated summations of a couple decades worth of public discussion.

We're fat.
Our kids are fat.
We eat too much and move too little.
Reverse those for the fix.

Did you just ask about my weight?   Bad form.  Very bad form.
 Post Number: 9
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obesity is a problem due to it's medical consequences (beyond those of not fitting into a medevac chopper):
"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, three-quarters of health care spending now goes to treat “preventable chronic diseases.” Not all of these diseases are linked to diet — there’s smoking, for instance — but many, if not most, of them are.

We’re spending $147 billion to treat obesity, $116 billion to treat diabetes, and hundreds of billions more to treat cardiovascular disease and the many types of cancer that have been linked to the so-called Western diet. One recent study estimated that 30 percent of the increase in health care spending over the past 20 years could be attributed to the soaring rate of obesity, a condition that now accounts for nearly a tenth of all spending on health care..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/opinion/10pollan.html
 Post Number: 10
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States

snippets:

Obesity in the United States has been increasingly cited as a major health issue in recent decades... From 13% obesity in 1962, estimates have steadily increased, reaching 19.4% in 1997, 24.5% in 2004, 26.6% in 2007, and 33.8% (adults) and 17% (children) in 2008. In 2010, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported higher numbers once more, counting 35.7% of American adults as obese, and 17% of American children

(over 30 BMI)
...obesity rate for Asian adults in the US in 2010 was 11.6%

...obesity rate for Caucasian adults in the US in 2010 was 26.8%

...obesity rate for the Hispanic or Latino adults category in the US in 2010 was 31.9%.

...obesity rate for Black adults in the US in 2010 was 36.9%.

...obesity rate for American Indian or Alaska Native adults in the US in 2010 was 39.6%

...obesity rate for Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander adults (over 30 BMI) in the US in 2010 was 43.5%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

At 66 inches 137 pounds my BMI is 22.3 or 47 pounds below the obese baseline. Healthy BMI is 18.5>25.  As a kid when the US obesity rate was less than 13%, ironically candy bars were just a nickel.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 11
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Dave Senesac @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:45 pm)
At 66 inches 137 pounds my BMI is 22.3 or 47 pounds below the obese baseline. Healthy BMI is 18.5>25.  As a kid when the US obesity rate was less than 13%, ironically candy bars were just a nickel.

The phrase "healthy BMI" makes me cringe. Please don't confuse the BMI with anything having any basis in science or medical research. It is literally some stupid made-up numbers.

There is no research anywhere that says that "normal BMI" people are healthier than "overweight BMI" people.

Don't get me wrong--Americans need to eat better and be fitter. But we should concentrate on that, not on how fat (or not) people are. Not all healthy, fit people with good eating habits are thin, and not all thin people are healthy.

The problem, basically, is that fat people gross us out, and we're conflating that with legitimate health issues.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Again, all the focus on the health care cost of obesity ignore all the health care cost  caused by athletic activity.  Heal thyself first.  then worry about the fat people around you.

Reminds me of the comedian who said "people complain about all the lives lost to alcohol....but they never acknowledge all the lives caused by alcohol."

What is the economic burden of sports injuries?

Selcen Öztürk, MSc, PhD., Dilek Kılıç, MSc, PhD.

Department of Economics, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey

Sports injury ranks among the major public health problems because of its important social and economic burden for society. In order to understand the
seriousness of a sports injury, Bahr offer six criteria for physicians-- nature of sports injuries; diagnosis, duration and nature of the treatment; sports time lost
when injured; working or school time lost; permanent disability; and cost of injury.

There are special considerations for pediatric, adolescent, and female athletes in terms of the risk factors of sports injuries they are facing. Youth tend to be more polarized in terms of physical activity and inactivity. There is either no physical activity; hence obesity, or too much activity; hence injuries.

In general, direct costs of an injury are calculated by considering the cost of using health care resources to prevent, detect and treat injury and its complications.

On the other hand,indirect costs indicate the absenteeism from work or the loss of productive output in the economy as a consequence of the injury.
 Post Number: 13
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:11 pm)
The phrase "healthy BMI" makes me cringe. Please don't confuse the BMI with anything having any basis in science or medical research. It is literally some stupid made-up numbers.

It's retarded that they use BMI for statistical purposes.
I am considered "obese" with a BMI of 31+. Was also told I was almost 50lbs overweight by the military 23 years ago at about the same weight, and 4 pant sizes smaller.
It's true that I can always stand to lose 10 or 15lbs nowadays, but come on...
 Post Number: 14
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 23 2013, 2:32 pm)
... although I did weigh about 15 lbs more when I lived in Louisiana.  

We do have tasty food down here.  :;):

(And no, it's not all fried!)

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(CajunHiker @ Jul. 23 2013, 5:00 pm)

(GoBlueHiker @ Jul. 23 2013, 2:32 pm)
... although I did weigh about 15 lbs more when I lived in Louisiana.  

We do have tasty food down here.  :;):

(And no, it's not all fried!)

:D

You're right, it wasn't all fried.  But it was tasty, I'll give ya' that.  Mmmm.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:40 pm)

Bacon-butt say what ??  ;)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 17
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Jul. 23 2013, 7:21 pm)

(spindle @ Jul. 23 2013, 4:40 pm)

Bacon-butt say what ??  ;)

Pot, meet Kettle.  Kettle, Pot.

Hi!!
 Post Number: 18
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:28 pm)

So here it is.

So what think you:
What have you done to overcome a personal weight problem?  Do you think it would work for others?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Processed foods, video games and Obama
4) Take away their phones and make them leave the house
5) I've eaten as much food as I can shove into my face
6) My approach probably won't work for others since most people don't have the same issue as me

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 19
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No easy answers here, but the bottom line is to stop eating most sugars and grains. I've lost 40 pounds in the past year by doing this.  It'll work for anyone, including youth, but will power is needed.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 20
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Jul. 23 2013, 7:51 pm)
No easy answers here, but the bottom line is to stop eating most sugars and grains. I've lost 40 pounds in the past year by doing this.  It'll work for anyone, including youth, but will power is needed.

send the extras to me!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 21
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eat less, exercise more.  Simple, you've go to burn more calories than you take in.  Requires discipline though.  More for some than others, I guess.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 22
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 7:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is nothing "we" (collective) can do.  There is something each of us can do.  Make your kids turn off the video games and get them involved in sports.  Teach them proper eating habits.  Don't buy crap.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think we should harvest the fat kids for biofuel.
 Post Number: 24
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 24 2013, 10:42 am)
I think we should harvest the fat kids for biofuel.

Trust Marmotstew to come up with the most practical solution everytime.   I'm going to give his name to Michelle.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Jer that means a lot to me.
 Post Number: 26
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's the food angle (the cumulative effect of a little extra fat and hidden sugars over time) but also some new biomechanics studies, i.e  the one publicized showing that sitting in a desk for most of the workday decade after decade can be dangerous, though humanity has strived for that goal over centuries. Maybe a desk that can convert to a standing desk but can a worker really concentrate?  

Then there's competing studies showing professions that stand on their feet all aren't the greatest either.  What can you do? Stand for an hour, sit for an hour?  Balance the diet?

You can say there's too many people in the world and maybe they should get their just desserts (pun intended).   But the obese actually take a while to pass on, sucking down medical resources like a 64 oz. soda (medicare and medicaid in this country).  I do not see any solution besides a mandatory weigh-in and physical to assign the risk properly by insurance co.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 27
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KenV @ Jul. 23 2013, 3:28 pm)

So here it is.

So what think you:

Yes
Yes
Additives (sugar, fats), no sense of portion control, poor food choices, unhealthy food preparation, fast food restaurants, inactivity, remote controls (we used to get up to change the channel), too many cars (kids used to ride bikes everywhere), emotional eating, availability of foods with empty calories around the house

Whatever happened to the President's Physical Fitness Program and awards in schools? Make kids play outside when they get home from school. Teach them better food choices. Take them to a buffet at 4pm and let them see how they too might be sitting on two chairs if they continue gaining weight at their current rate. Stop purchasing snacks for them other than fruits and vegetables to eat in the afternoon after school. Family long walks after dinner.

???
 Post Number: 28
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Jul. 24 2013, 7:25 am)
There is nothing "we" (collective) can do.  There is something each of us can do.  Make your kids turn off the video games and get them involved in sports.  Teach them proper eating habits.  Don't buy crap.

+1

Although I also believe that ending the corn/wheat subsidies that make processed food so cheap would certainly help.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Jul. 24 2013, 10:37 am)
remote controls (we used to get up to change the channel),

I'm not sure if that was meant to be funny, but I read it that way. :D

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 30
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must say I have seen improvement in the youth I deal with in the last few years, 10 years ago I'd estimate that 20% of the kids I worked with in Scouts and youth sports were grossly overweight, now I'd say about 5%.  If that is due to over all improvement or just that the obese kids aren't participating, I can't say.

I'm not one to talk, have lost about 20 lbs, but still a long way to go.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
56 replies since Jul. 23 2013, 3:28 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Obesity (especially youth obesity) in the USA
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions