2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Cyclosporiasis, Intestinal Illness,, Sickens More Than 200 In 4 States< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2013, 10:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even though MT isn't listed, I seem to have these symptoms, particularly the first, since Monday. Anyone else?

An outbreak of the intestinal illness cyclosporiasis has sickened more than 200 people in four states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Most of the illnesses -- which have been reported in Iowa, Nebraska, Texas and Wisconsin -- began in mid-June through early July. At least eight people have been hospitalized, the CDC said.

So far, the CDC has not identified a particular food or drink responsible for the outbreak, but previous outbreaks have been linked to various types of fresh produce, the CDC said. It's not clear if the reported cases are due to a single source, or if more than one source of the parasites may be involved.

Cyclosporiasis is caused by the parasite Cyclospora cayetanensis. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, weight loss, cramping, nausea and fatigue. The infection is usually not life-threatening, the CDC says.

The disease is caused by consuming food or water that's contaminated with the parasite.

The CDC said it will continue to investigate possible cases and causes of the outbreak.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....54.html

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My avoidance of fresh vegetables is finally paying off.

Get well soon!
 Post Number: 3
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple weeks back I had cramping, nausea, fever, and a touch of diarrhea. I was thinking I might have giardia. The day before my doctor's appointment, it cleared, so I cancelled it. I wonder...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 4
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't plant your gardens next to the septic tank drain field :p

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness. Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokingHead @ Jul. 25 2013, 12:36 pm)
Don't plant your gardens next to the septic tank drain field :p

It was probably that Haitian voodoo ceremony...

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There have  been several outbreak of Cyclosporia over the years.  I participated in the investigation of a couple when I was working.  They were related to produce shipped in from Guatemala.  One outbreak was due contaminated raspberries and another contaminated "Spring Mix".  One outbreak linked to raspberries was in a group of doctors that had attended a gala.  They lived all around the country.  None of these doctors were able to correctly diagnose their illness.  It was not until public health got involved that we were able to confirm Cyclosporia.  This is not an illness that last only a couple of days.  One is usually sick for a considerable time.  

Details about this outbreak can be found on the CDC web site.  

According to the CDC web site as of 7/24 a total of 285 cases of Cyclospora infection have been reported from 11 states. The number of cases identified in each state is as follows: Iowa (138), Nebraska (70), Texas (66), Wisconsin (3), Georgia (2), Connecticut (1), Illinois (1), Kansas (1), Minnesota (1), New Jersey (1), and Ohio (1).  The outbreak investigation is ongoing so no cause has yet to be identified.

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 7
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On some positive notes, you will lose some weight and have much more time to read.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 8
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Jul. 25 2013, 10:51 am)
. . . According to the CDC web site as of 7/24 a total of 285 cases of Cyclospora infection have been reported from 11 states. The number of cases identified in each state is as follows: Iowa (138), Nebraska (70), Texas (66), Wisconsin (3), Georgia (2), Connecticut (1), Illinois (1), Kansas (1), Minnesota (1), New Jersey (1), and Ohio (1). The outbreak investigation is ongoing so no cause has yet to be identified.

I just learned from my brother that my nephew's wife was one of those 285 confirmed cases. For that (and other reasons closer to home) I have a personal interest in seeing where this outbreak came from. Here's a link to the CDC webpage for Cyclosporiasis.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 5:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 5:16 pm)
I just learned from my brother that my nephew's wife was one of those 285 confirmed cases. For that (and other reasons closer to home) I have a personal interest in seeing where this outbreak came from. Here's a link to the CDC webpage for Cyclosporiasis.

All kidding aside.... I hope your  nephew's wife does ok. This is one nasty illness to deal with. I used to travel in China and veggies and water are the main route. I always pressure filtered water even when the hotels said it was safe. Good luck to them.

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness. Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 10
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lesson: Cook the crap out of your food.

A friend of mine is not only vegan but she also only eats raw food. I'm waiting for the call about some kind of intestinal distress she may be under in the future.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 25 2013, 4:49 pm)
Lesson: Cook the crap out of your food. . . .

Problem is that the organism is tied to "fresh" vegetables and possibly fruit. That's exactly the sort of food many of us hesitate to cook at all or cook very long. Prolonged cooking destroys some of the nutritional value of fresh vegetables.

Washing produce is a good idea.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 12
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eat more meat!

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cyclospora is know to "hang on" to fruit such as raspberries so washing is not a lot of help against this organism.  

Eating meat is a protection against cyclospora but not against E. coli, salmonella, campylobacter, and so many other organisms.  Many members of the microbial world considers us food. :)

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 14
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Roger @ Jul. 25 2013, 5:55 pm)
Cyclospora is know to "hang on" to fruit such as raspberries so washing is not a lot of help against this organism. . . .

How about avoiding any fresh produce originating in subtropical or tropical countries? The CDC seems to say that is where the organism comes from.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 15
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 8:20 pm)

Cyclospora is know to "hang on" to fruit such as raspberries so washing is not a lot of help against this organism. . . .

How about avoiding any fresh produce originating in subtropical or tropical countries? The CDC seems to say that is where the organism comes from.

Could work, but you'd also have to avoid all produce produced in the US that has come in contact with anyone who has come in contact with anyone with Cyclospora...good luck widdat :)

(there've been cases traced to greens and basil grown in the US as well...and you can't kill it with typical chlorine or iodine tx)
 Post Number: 16
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 25 2013, 6:27 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 8:20 pm)

Could work, but you'd also have to avoid all produce produced in the US that has come in contact with anyone who has come in contact with anyone with Cyclospora...good luck widdat :)

(there've been cases traced to greens and basil grown in the US as well...and you can't kill it with typical chlorine or iodine tx)

The CDC says the infection is unlikely to be spread directly from one person to another because of a required incubation period. See this page. So you may be overstating things a bit. And even what you describe would seriously lower the probability of infection.

And much of the United States IS subtropical (from the latitude of San Francisco southward) so I was not referring only to foreign countries.

I can see cooking produce lightly or bringing the water to a boil. But the idea of cooking the hell out of fruits and vegetables is out of the question, as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: Also, how about "peeling" the produce? For instance, I don't eat the outer leaves of cabbage. I throw them away. I don't eat the rind of watermelon or the skin of potatoes. And what about frozen vegetables? Does freezing kill the organism? The fact that it is endemic to warmer climates suggests it does not survive freezing temperatures, it seems to me.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 8:40 pm)

The CDC says the infection is unlikely to be spread directly from one person to another because of a required incubation period. See this page. So you may be overstating things a bit. And even what you describe would seriously lower the probability of infection.

ETA: Also, how about "peeling" the produce. For instance, I don't eat the outer leaves of cabbage. I throw them away. I don't eat the rind of watermelon or the skin of potatoes.

I should have been clearer. You're right...person-to-person is uncommon. Person to fomite (eg vegetable) is the primary means. So...if you have a person who's picked up Cyclospora from somewhere (say, where he's from) who subsequently comes in contact with your fruit/vegetable, you have the possibility of picking it up too :)

You could try peeling, but I'm not sure how effective it'd be. It's tough to peel something without allowing what's on the outside of the peel to contaminate the portions you're eating.

I'm from the South. I like my fruit crisp and my vegetables mushy. :p

Edit to add: freezing doesn't help. It's tough to kill spores.
 Post Number: 18
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 25 2013, 7:05 pm)
. . . You could try peeling, but I'm not sure how effective it'd be. It's tough to peel something without allowing what's on the outside of the peel to contaminate the portions you're eating.

I'm from the South. I like my fruit crisp and my vegetables mushy. :p

I don't care how you like your vegetables. I'm looking for ways of minimizing the chances of spreading the organism, not minimizing your eating habits. :D

Oh, and you forgot about freezing. Go north this winter, and I'll illustrate.  :p

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 19
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Try this from Clinical Microbiology Reviews:
    "Inactivation of Cyclospora oocysts can be accomplished by freezing at -20C for at least 2 days or at -70C for 60 min. Inactivation also occurs by heating oocysts in water at 70C for 15 min. Sporulation at 50C was minimal (0.01 to 0.03%). Microwave heating inactivates Cyclospora oocysts in water when the temperature reaches 80C or higher (139). These temperatures can be reached in shorter periods than those with conventional heating."

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 9:27 pm)
    "Inactivation of Cyclospora oocysts can be accomplished by freezing at -20C for at least 2 days or at -70C for 60 min. Inactivation also occurs by heating oocysts in water at 70C for 15 min. Sporulation at 50C was minimal (0.01 to 0.03%). Microwave heating inactivates Cyclospora oocysts in water when the temperature reaches 80C or higher (139). These temperatures can be reached in shorter periods than those with conventional heating."

I'll counter with http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2732521/ (frozen raspberries in wedding cake)

Sorry...thought you were talking about brief storage in residential freezer (many of which don't typically run at -20C)

From the same article you cited: Interestingly, the oocysts don't behave the same way in water as they do in other foods

"For dairy substrates, storage at −15C for 24 h did not inactivate Cyclospora oocysts. For basil or water, storage at −20C for 2 days, 50C for 1 h, and 37C for up to 4 days did not prevent Cyclospora sporulation; however, extreme temperatures (70C, −70C, and 100C) were effective in preventing oocysts from sporulating (137). Temperatures frequently used for produce storage, e.g., 4 to 23C, do not affect sporulation of Cyclospora. Microwave heating of Cyclospora oocysts can inactivate oocysts; however, more time is required to kill Cyclospora oocysts than to kill Cryptosporidium oocysts. Short exposures to a high temperature (96C for 45 s) did not completely prevent the sporulation of Cyclospora"
 Post Number: 21
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 25 2013, 7:38 pm)

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 9:27 pm)

I'll counter with http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2732521/ (frozen raspberries in wedding cake)

Sorry...thought you were talking about brief storage in residential freezer (many of which don't typically run at -20C) . . .

I'm trying to figure out if your priority is refuting me or finding solutions to reduce risks. ???

By the way, your study is eight years older than the one I cited. 2002 versus 2010.

Seriously, the risk from this illness is not at epidemic proportions. Even taking small precautions such as I mention may lessen the risk even further. Do we really need the ultimate speculations and total annihilation of risk? I'm just one person trying to get his vegetables, not the CDC trying to dissect the entire problem into minutia.

The only raspberries I eat are those I find growing wild.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 9:47 pm)
[quote=fifeplayer,Jul. 25 2013, 7:38 pm]
By the way, your study is eight years older than the one I cited. 2002 versus 2010.

Seriously, the risk from this illness is not at epidemic proportions. Even taking small precautions such as I mention may lessen the risk even further. Do we really need the ultimate speculations and total annihilation of risk? I'm just one person trying to get his vegetables, not the CDC trying to dissect the entire problem into minutia.

Eh? The Philadelphia one is older, and I used it to the point that home freezing may not be effective.

The quoted text is from the CMR article that you cited, indicating that freezing contaminated water would reduce risk, but freezing contaminated food would not.

And yes, I'm trying to dissect the problem into minutiae in an attempt to find effective means of reducing risk. I do happen to like the color of a fresh spinach salad and raspberry cheesecake around the winter holidays... :D
 Post Number: 23
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 10:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 25 2013, 7:57 pm)
Eh? The Philadelphia one is older, . . .

Yeah, that's what I said.

Good luck solving the world's problems. Are you a working microbiologist? Like I said, I'm just trying to get my vegetables, not feed the hungry folks in the tropics.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 25 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Jul. 25 2013, 10:01 pm)

(fifeplayer @ Jul. 25 2013, 7:57 pm)
Eh? The Philadelphia one is older, . . .

Yeah, that's what I said.

Good luck solving the world's problems. Are you a working microbiologist? Like I said, I'm just trying to get my vegetables, not feed the hungry folks in the tropics.

Thanks, I'll need it.  :D

No...not a working microbiologist. But I did drive past a Holiday Inn a few nights ago.   :;):
 Post Number: 25
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Roger...Ha!  "Many members of the microbial world considers us food".  

Scheesh, I never thought of that.  I always thought of Polar Bears being at the top of the food chain, but now I'm thinking differently.  A chart with teensy, tiny microbs at the top.

--------------
Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my hearts geography. And I knew it.- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 26
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope you are feeling better, Montanalonewolf, whatever you've got.

--------------
Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my hearts geography. And I knew it.- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 5:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was talking to some of my former health department friends today and they informed me the outbreak of Cyclospora has expanded.  There are currently a number of cases here in Florida and I assume elsewhere.  I do not believe they have identified the source of the outbreak yet.  In nationwide outbreaks such as this it takes a while to ID the source.  Once epidemiology has identified a product then they have to find where that product came from.  In many cases they are able to not only ID the product but to also ID the field/farm/or processing center where the contamination happened.  This is not always an easy job.

Growing your own produce or obtaining locally grown produce helps protect one from these nationwide outbreaks.  

Hope all remains cyclospora free. :)

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 26 2013, 9:07 am)
Hope you are feeling better, Montanalonewolf, whatever you've got.

Thanks, I am.
Whatever it was, it wasn't this because I'm over it. It may sound odd but other than the annoyance of countless trips to the bathroom and throwing up a few times, I've felt fine the whole time. My guess is something I ate Sunday or Monday.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 29
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I noticed that Reuters is quoting Dr. Barbara Herwaldt, a medical epidemiologist at the CDC as advising people to wash produce to minimize chance of infection:
    "As a precaution, she encouraged people to thoroughly wash produce before it is eaten to minimize the chance of infection."
Evidently Dr. Herwaldt hasn't read Backpacker forums to learn the futility of her advice.

--------------
Location Wyoming
 Post Number: 30
Bass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 26 2013, 10:06 am)
Roger...Ha! "Many members of the microbial world considers us food".

Scheesh, I never thought of that. I always thought of Polar Bears being at the top of the food chain, but now I'm thinking differently. A chart with teensy, tiny microbs at the top.

At least in the last few thousand years of human history, germs have probably killed many more than big predators like wolves and bears, etc.

Our immune systems continue to evolve to protect us. Then the practice of cooking our food has helped to defend us against these small predators by killing them in our food and water. Then improved sanitation as a result of Pasteur's discoveries has helped us to avoid them.

Now vaccines and antibiotics - fairly recent defenses - are helping us aid our immune systems in defeating these attackers. Fifty years ago, some thought that antibiotics would eliminate diseases caused by germs. But the small predators are outsmarting the antibiotics and humans are learning that as prey we must learn new defenses.

So I'd agree that germs are at the top of the food chain for now.
32 replies since Jul. 24 2013, 10:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Cyclosporiasis, Intestinal Illness,
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions