2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Rabbits everywhere....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:43 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm wondering if this is the high-number year for rabbits.  I'm seeing them everywhere in the neighborhoods and I've seen more than usual in the mountians, too, Including one snowshoe hare.

You guys seeing lots of rabbits and/or hares?

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 26 2013, 9:43 am)
I'm wondering if this is the high-number year for rabbits.  I'm seeing them everywhere in the neighborhoods and I've seen more than usual in the mountians, too, Including one snowshoe hare.

You guys seeing lots of rabbits and/or hares?

Yeah, too many rabbits and not enough coyotes to eat them. But I'm not sure if there are more this year or not. There's always a few in my yard.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's because the wolves ate the elk, who were previously limiting the rabbit food supply.
 Post Number: 4
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 12:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mmmmmmmmmm ........ tasty rabbit. Yum  :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 5
BCPete1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just snowshoe hares up here in central BC ... but yeah, we are seeing them like crazy up here this year!

Odd that we haven't seen a lynx in quite awhile. Hopefully that will change soon!

--------------
Backpacking isn't a hobby ... it's a lifestyle.
 Post Number: 6
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need more coyotes!

http://www.dailycoyote.net/

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No shortage of coyotes in the Hoosier NF, but a bumper crop of squirrels, coons, and rabbits, plenty of bugs too. I'm seeing bats, but not as many as I would like. Based on how much hay the farmers have been cutting, I'd blame it on a mild winter and lots to eat.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Boy, I'll say.  I can't even walk my dog off the leash in town anymore.  There are so many frickin rabbits around that every time she sees one, which is almost all the time, she takes after them like - well, like a hound after a hare.  The dog just goes bonkers.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No rabbits here in the everglades.  The Burmese pythons have eliminated most of the rabbits and raccoons.  We have coyotes, fox, bobcats but they pale compared to the python in taking rabbits out.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 10
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This year we seem to have a rabbit or two living near the house.  Somehow the dog hasn't found them yet.

A few days ago a raccoon turned up dead in the yard.  I wonder if an osprey, eagle, or hawk dropped him.  It happens from time to time, but not usually with anything quite that large.  Gifts from the sky are usually fish.

Also seeing more turtles this year, both box and snappers, as well as more fireflies than I've seen in a decade, but fewer butterflies.

Maybe it's all due to our long, wet, cool spring and early summer.
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 26 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a number of rabbits here but not many. The coyotes, foxes, eagles and hawks keep them in check.

The dog just goes bonkers.

My dog didn't care. I could get her to go nose to nose with a rabbit and she'd just look at me like "Yeah? So what?". Now mice on the other hand were just tasty tidbits....

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jul. 26 2013, 10:15 pm)

My dog didn't care. I could get her to go nose to nose with a rabbit and she'd just look at me like "Yeah? So what?". Now mice on the other hand were just tasty tidbits....

You're dog was obviously smarter than mine - doesn't take much. She always chases them but never catches one.  Kind of reminds me of the Elvis song.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's the way my Labs were for years, kind of a social relationship of mutual exercise patterns.

But, now I have the half Akita Lab who stalks and kills and eats bunnys like a coyote.  

He can't get them all, but he sure has made them a lot more careful and respectful!  Plus it saves on dog food for a couple of days.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 26 2013, 10:12 pm)

(Montanalonewolf @ Jul. 26 2013, 10:15 pm)

You're dog was obviously smarter than mine - doesn't take much. She always chases them but never catches one.  Kind of reminds me of the Elvis song.

I know I'm biased but my dog was very smart.

Now this is/was a Lab... they're totally insane about chasing and retrieving anything and everything, right? Nope. About 3 tosses and 2 retrieves, she just looks at me on the 3rd and says "Yeah, right. You'll just throw it again...".

I tried to get her to retrieve birds. Nope. "Dad? It's not cooked!".

And swimming? "Are you nuts?? That water is cold!".

I loved her anyway. :)

--------------

Post Number: 15
AegisIII Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plenty of rabbits here.  A few weeks ago mowing the lawn, I had a half dozen babies run out of a hole.  Have seen plenty more, probably more than usual.  Unfortunately, a few weeks before that, I accidentally ran over one with the lawnmower when I thought it was a piece of tree bark.  Never heard their warning cry, which he gave out after escaping, though an ear and a half less than before.  They can disappear quite well in tallish grass.

--------------
--
EJS
(Ed. S)
 Post Number: 16
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 12:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BCPete1 @ Jul. 26 2013, 12:23 pm)
Just snowshoe hares up here in central BC ... but yeah, we are seeing them like crazy up here this year!

Odd that we haven't seen a lynx in quite awhile. Hopefully that will change soon!

Isn't the lynx population cyclic with the rabbit population?
 Post Number: 17
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We've been over run with them at work this year.  You can see as many as a dozen hiding in the razor wire so the hawks, owls and coyotes can't get to them.  I rounded the corner one night on perimeter patrol to see a fox trying to get at one inside the fence.

--------------
My website

My Blog

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 11:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Jul. 28 2013, 9:00 pm)
We've been over run with them at work this year.  You can see as many as a dozen hiding in the razor wire so the hawks, owls and coyotes can't get to them.  I rounded the corner one night on perimeter patrol to see a fox trying to get at one inside the fence.

Startle one of those in the wire and it'll skin itself for you....

--------------

Post Number: 19
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The rabbits are so big out here that they are mistaken for bear cubs. I won't say who thought a rabbit was a bear cub, but it did happen. It was a special moment  :D

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have any of them attacked a politician, since the incident with Jimmy Carter back in the 70s?

It would be great if they could be conditioned to recognize and attack Congress Critters on sight!

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shut up, Woodswoman!  I'm sure there was a bear there moving through the woods, too.  Not just a Grizzy Hare or Bear Hare.  It was a wabbit!  Ha!  I thought you said what happened on the Arapaho Pass Trail stayed on the Arapahow Pass.  Heheheh, now revenge is mine!

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 22
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 29 2013, 2:48 pm)
Shut up, Woodswoman!  I'm sure there was a bear there moving through the woods, too.  Not just a Grizzy Hare or Bear Hare.  It was a wabbit!  Ha!  I thought you said what happened on the Arapaho Pass Trail stayed on the Arapahow Pass.  Heheheh, now revenge is mine!

Your secret is safe with us, ladies.  :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 23
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

mtngrl, start gathering rabbits, fricasse rabbit with glazed carrots

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 24
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh, Mtngrl, if it offers any encouragement, I did my best ninja performance one day when my stomach growled and I thought it was a mountain lion hiding among the trees. I swung my walking stick so impressively that I probably killed more flying insects in a few minutes than I have in the years since.

When I finally identified the growl as coming from my own stomach, I was quite relieved to know that I always hike alone. No one around to witness the spectacle.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 25
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mtngrl @ Jul. 29 2013, 2:48 pm)

Hey, I didn't mention any names! You blew your own cover,   :p   At least it gave us a bit of excitement while we were crouching around looking for a bear cub  :D

Anyone who wants to come to Colorado and hike with Mtngrl and me, I promise you will NOT be bored. Far from it. We will stun and amaze you  :cool:  It may be a short hike, but it will be unforgettable.

--------------
"...in every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks."   ~ John Muir
 Post Number: 26
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One has to be careful around Mtngrl, she hears bears everyone where.  She thought I was a bear one morning when I was getting the coffee ready, came out yelling at me and waving a club.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 27
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 5:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jul. 29 2013, 9:48 pm)
One has to be careful around Mtngrl, she hears bears everyone where.  She thought I was a bear one morning when I was getting the coffee ready, came out yelling at me and waving a club.

I didn't know that many bears smoked cigars while making coffee.
 Post Number: 28
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always see a lot of cute little cottontails at work in and around the native plant garden - usually see a few jackrabbits around home, but haven't seen any in a while

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ha, good one Travis!  I have a great picture in my mind of that...hahahhahahaha

Hey, Chuck, there you were before anyone was up, tinkering with the pots and pans, it was dark and you looked just like a big bear rummaging around in our goodies.

Watch out bears, I'm equiped with hike poles and not afraid to use 'em!

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Ecocentric Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am reminded of the story by Patrick McManus, The night the bear ate Goombaw.

--------------
"Travel suggestions from strangers are like dancing lessons from God." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
32 replies since Jul. 26 2013, 11:43 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Rabbits everywhere....
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions