2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: JJ Cale has died< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 12:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An apparent heart attack. He was 74.

Singer-songwriter JJ Cale dead at 74 after heart attack

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:30am EDT

(Reuters) - Grammy award winning singer and songwriter JJ Cale, one of the most versatile musicians of his era who played everything from rock and roll to blues and jazz, has died after suffering a heart attack, his official website said on Saturday.

Cale, who was 74, won a Grammy award in 2008 for "The Road to Escondido," which he recorded with singer-songwriter Eric Clapton.

Born in Oklahoma City, Cale migrated to Los Angeles in the 1960s and flourished. Rock legend Neil Young once described Cale as the best electric guitar player he had ever seen other than the late Jimmy Hendrix.

Cale's official website said he died on Friday night at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, California. There were no immediate plans for memorial services, the website said.

Source.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Truly, one of the best. He will be missed. "Cocaine" was one of the most requested slow dance numbers when I was in my mid 20s.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 12:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not surprised it was a heart attack.  He lived life large for sure.  Fantastic guitar player and songwriter.  Unfortunately for him, most of his songs were made famous by others.  

RIP, JJ.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Jul. 27 2013, 10:44 am)
Not surprised it was a heart attack.  He lived life large for sure.  Fantastic guitar player and songwriter.  Unfortunately for him, most of his songs were made famous by others.  

RIP, JJ.

Rumi

I read a quote from him that said he did not care about that as long as the royalty checks kept coming in.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

It scares me to think how young he was when I first listened to him.  Everyone is getting so old.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jul. 27 2013, 10:43 am)

(RumiDude @ Jul. 27 2013, 10:44 am)

RIP, JJ.

Rumi

I read a quote from him that said he did not care about that as long as the royalty checks kept coming in.

The man was seriously shy, that is for sure.  Did't want to be a rock star at all.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RIP JJ
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my favorite JJ Cale songs ...

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 9
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lot's more info, comments and videos about JJ Cale.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jul. 31 2013, 8:05 am)

I read that article the other day and enjoyed it.  Listening to his guitar playing just makes me smile and chucle.  

Rumi

--------------
9 replies since Jul. 27 2013, 12:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply JJ Cale has died
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions