2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boot laces, why are they 3x too long?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:07 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can anyone please explain why bootlaces are so long? When you buy a new pair of boots, the laces are long enough to tie a normal knot and bow…and still leave about eighteen inches left over! What do you do with that extra boot lace? I started tying his into double knots, putting a half-hitch into my loops, but they were still too long. Then I tied loops in my loops. That worked…but seemed ridiculous.

Now it must be said that I once played semi-pro sports, and I am well acquainted with the traditions of tying your laces in various ways for good luck, better performance, or silly stylistic affectations. Still, these are ridiculous.

So one morning I noticed that the laces were beginning to wear out---right at the knot. So I slid the laces around until I had just enough to tie a decent knot on one side, then pulled the excess through on the other side. It turned out to be about 20 inches long, so I chopped it off and tossed it into my pack. My boots and laces work just fine now.

Sounds like a plan.

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Loon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tennis shoes too. What's up with that? One of my pet peeves.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what size shoe do you wear?
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Low/small foot volume. I have a high volume foot, in addition to being large anyway (current boots 12EEEE), and the laces are barely long enough.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Better too long than too short.
 Post Number: 6
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jul. 29 2013, 5:07 pm)
Can anyone please explain why bootlaces are so long? When you buy a new pair of boots, the laces are long enough to tie a normal knot and bow…and still leave about eighteen inches left over! . . .

I've bought many pair of boots over the years, but I have never had that problem. Not once. Every pair I've bought had laces very close to the right length.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 7
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buy quality boots, problem solved.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 3:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They have different boot lace lengths sold at REI. I just purchased a new set for my "primary" summer boots.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jul. 29 2013, 10:57 pm)
Low/small foot volume. I have a high volume foot, in addition to being large anyway (current boots 12EEEE), and the laces are barely long enough.

same here - 14 - ee.  I usually have to buy the next length laces.
 Post Number: 10
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost all shoelaces come in standard lengths.  In any case it doesn't really matter for outdoor boots.

http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/bootlaces.asp

The Rawhide two tone yellow/brown colored nylon shoe laces have been sold at stores for decades.  If the length is too long, simply custom cut one end and use a cigaret lighter to melt the end fibers then a pair of pliers to shape the still warm end to a point.  3x long?   Cut em and one has spares.  In any case can still use the uncut end tip to thread through boot ferrules if a tip matters.   Many hiking boot laces bought in outdoor stores don't even have end tip but rather they just use utility cord off a reel.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 11
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you have Cankles it's not a problem.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 12
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My newest pair of hikers are Treksta Evolution Mid GTX. I like them a lot, but the laces are at least 6" longer than they should be. I contacted Treksta asking if I could purchase another set of laces, but Treksta laces are not available separately. Period.

Another minor quibble I have with these boots and with other footwear is the pull-on loop at the top of the heel that is too small for a man to fit his finger all the way through (I can just fit the tip of my finger, not all the way into the first knuckle). If they're going to provide a loop, why make it just barely too small to be usable?

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 13
HighGravity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Jul. 29 2013, 7:07 pm)
Can anyone please explain why bootlaces are so long? When you buy a new pair of boots, the laces are long enough to tie a normal knot and bow…and still leave about eighteen inches left over! What do you do with that extra boot lace?

Why are there ten hot dogs to a pack but only eight buns to a pack?
Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?
How come a wise guy and wise man aren't the same thing?
Why is "colored people" a racist term but "people of color" is not?
Why is it called Rhode Island when it's neither a road nor an island?

That's just the way it is. Who are we to question God's plan?
 Post Number: 14
hiking_tiger Search for posts by this member.
sekk, plyndre, og deretter brenne

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jul. 31 2013, 9:49 am)

Can anyone please explain why bootlaces are so long? When you buy a new pair of boots, the laces are long enough to tie a normal knot and bow…and still leave about eighteen inches left over! What do you do with that extra boot lace?

Hebrew National hot dogs come seven to a pack, just to add another data point.  :;):

--------------
“Sometimes you have to be ready to receive the information before it can take hold.” – C. Schwarz

“When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.” – Attributed to the Buddhism tradition…
 Post Number: 15
Scot Search for posts by this member.
Some light Slayer please...

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HighGravity @ Jul. 31 2013, 10:49 am)

Forced upsell. I hate this one.

--------------
The tree of liberty must be renewed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots for it is its natural manure
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hiking_tiger @ Jul. 31 2013, 3:11 pm)

(HighGravity @ Jul. 31 2013, 9:49 am)

Hebrew National hot dogs come seven to a pack, just to add another data point.  :;):

And what's with that state, "Connect? I cut."
15 replies since Jul. 29 2013, 7:07 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boot laces
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions