2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sir Poofy Strikes Again< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 1:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I decided that all our down sleeping bags needed washing so as to renew their loft.  We have four individual bags, one double sleeping bag, and one double quilt.  I also decided to wash my down poofy aqs well.  I decided to start with the two summer bags and the down quilt plus my poofy.  

I hand washed them, something I have never done before.  always before when I washed down bags I used a front loader washing machine.  But that is $4.50 and it would have required two loads.  Add in the cost of the down wash detergent and the costs add up.  Thus the hand wash option.  Wow is it a difficult task.  First it is kinda difficult to squeeze out most the air and then get the bags wet in the tubs  Then I had to wash them thoroughly but gently.  Next comes the rinse.  To rinse them I had to get as much of the soapy water out as I could, but wringing them is not an option as that can tear up the baffles.  So rolling them up tightly is the way to go.  Repeat the rinse three or four time till all the soap is gone and the water remains relatively clear.  Then a final squeeze and lay them out to dry.

All this takes a very long time.  I actually gently draped the bags on the clothes line to facilitate drying.  After a couple days on the line, down to the laundry they go to get poofed in the dryers there.  many many many quarters later, the bags and quilt come out all nice and poofy like new.

Some time later this month I will do this all over with the winter bags.  That should be fun!

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The most difficult bag I remember doing was one with  DryLoft fabric.
Not all that surprising because it was meant to be water resistant.
To lift the bag out of the bathroom I mostly used a net type hammock (slide the net under the bag and then lift) but you can also use the cotton bag some come with.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 2:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea, the weird thing is the water pooled up in the bag s and I had to squeeze it out.  The quilt has a different liner and so it was much easier to work with and dried much faster.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have that to face today.  Two synthetic bags and one down.  I use Sportwash detergent and mostly use my feet in the bathtub.  The good news is that with Colorado's low humidity and high temps, the bags dry quickly, then go into the dryer with a couple tennis balls for fluffing up.
 Post Number: 5
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's time I do that with our down bags and my down jacket. My down jacket really needs it.

It scares the bejeesus out of me that I'll ruin it, thought. Those things aren't cheap!
 Post Number: 6
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hah suckers. I haven't officially washed my down marmot bag for like 15 years. Am I going to die?
 Post Number: 7
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Am I going to die?

Yes
Not today
but you are going to die
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 31 2013, 5:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well a dirty down bag may not cause you to die, but you aren't as warm in it as you could be.

Rumi   <~~~~~~sir poofy

--------------
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 31 2013, 8:22 am)
Hah suckers. I haven't officially washed my down marmot bag for like 15 years. Am I going to die?

Worse - you'll die lonely...

Come to think of it, it's been about that long since I washed my TNF down bag (doesn't get used that often)....but it's nice and clean and fluffy now.

Post Number: 10
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

the cost of the down wash detergent

Woolite.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 11
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Jul. 31 2013, 8:22 am)

Your tent-mates might ...

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 12
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I washed a synthetic bag a few months ago. My down bag is not ready yet.

It was quite a time-consuming project.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 02 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Aug. 01 2013, 8:41 pm)
the cost of the down wash detergent

Woolite.

Or this stuff, which you can get at Walmart or King Soooers

Post Number: 14
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a front-loader of my own, pretty large capacity.  I washed my rather small and light 32-deg bag in it three years ago with no problems.  I think I need to do all our bags again.  We just finished 26 nights in a row in the bags, and even with some form of bath most nights, and long undies to sleep in, that's a lot of nights.

I'll have the spouse pick up some of the special soap when he's at REI tomorrow.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 15
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 05 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drying the things is a royal pain here, where nothing ever really gets dry anyway.  Not quite as bad as some places in the PNW, but darn near.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
14 replies since Jul. 31 2013, 1:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sir Poofy Strikes Again
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions