2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: "Can I play in your band tonight?", Seriously?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tomas Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 8:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just how narcissistic is a person who thinks he can ask a band setting up for their gig if he could play with them that night? A complete stranger? And he has a harmonica?

What sort of mid-50's balless wonder has his mid-40s girlfriend ask for him?

Gah.  :angry:

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a story.

Back in the 90's I was dating my third wife and we were at the Chicago Bar in Tucson where Sam Taylor was playing. Sam was a nationally known soulful blues player from town.

I got talking to a guy in the bar who insisted he was KC of KC and the Sunshine Band. He looked and acted like a slightly drunk skinny 40-something white kid.

When Sam's band was on a set break, he went up to the drummer leaned down and whispered something. The drummer let the kid sit and the drums and the guy proceeded to prove that he was indeed KC.

Moral. You can't always tell who may be in the audience. It may be someone famous. I've heard that Bruce Springsteen has/had a habit of showing up at small venues and asking the band if he could sit in. Of course he's a little more recognizable than KC.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This guy ended up sounding like Ron Jeremy having his way with a duck.

While I get the idea of somebody famous going incognito, this clown was a drunk with a cute girlfriend.

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drunk, with a cute girlfriend and a harmonica.   What more could one ask for?
 Post Number: 5
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sat in on clarinet with a polka band that played for my parents' 50th anniversary party 4 years ago.  My dad and the band leader were both retired band directors and knew each other.  So, I got the shot.  Dad told me later that his friend was impressed with my sight-reading abilities on music I was just looking at - mostly for the first time.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 11:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was working on a gig as a local consultant for robotic lighting back in my youth. I was talking with the crew and joking around waiting for the show to start. We were just getting into some good stories when the crew stood up and walked on stage. I was in shock as I was wondering what in the world they were doing. Kenny Loggins and his band are seriously down to earth. I never would have guessed they were the band.

Later on, I got offered to tour with Aerosmith with the first stop being in Hawaii. I turned it down for a more "stable" career. I still regret it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Touring with Aerosmith, you'd be dead already.  Too much of a good thing is bad for you.  Rest easy, my friend.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Aug. 01 2013, 9:55 am)
Drunk, with a cute girlfriend and a harmonica.   What more could one ask for?

That the drunk go bugger himself with the harmonica and the cute girlfriend drop the loser.  :)

In all seriousness, would it be cool if I walked up to the production crew at a local play and just ask if I could join in that night?

Meh, it really isn't worth it. The ass-clown will probably be bothering a different group tomorrow and I'll never see him again.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
LuketheDrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 3:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the dude got off easy.  At least you didn't stab him with a hunk of re-bar.
Tourist killed in fight with bar band
Although the dude did have a point about Hotel California.

--------------
We must move forward not backward.  Upward, not forward.  And always be twirling, twirling, twirling toward freedom.
 Post Number: 10
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing screws up good music like a bad harmonica player.

--------------
I feel a storm all wet and warm
not 10 miles away
approaching my Mexican home.
 Post Number: 11
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of it depends on the venue, the crowd, and the music played whether a band wants to risk something like that with a stranger. As mentioned before, it can go right, or it can go terribly wrong. It's better to be done in a very low key joint.

I play a jazz flute and I've walked up on a few gigs before. But I think they either advertized as a jazz jam or I knew one of the musicians or something like that.

An old girlfriend (she wasn't old then) back in Mississippi in the mid seventies told me a story about when she was going to USM in Hattiesburg. Her and a friend were in a small bar just off campus. A guy named Jimmy Buffet was playing his guitar and singing. Her friend, Fingers, a harmonica player, said, "I'm going to go ask him if I can sit in." Kathy told him no, no, and was real embarrassed when he got up and asked him anyway. Well, if you look through most of Buffett's albums today you'll find a "Fingers" Taylor with the harmonica credits. Whenever Buffet came to town, Fingers would always have a few backstage passes for Kathy.

So it can either go terribly wrong or terribly right.
 Post Number: 12
craigwill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couldn't help but to think of the movie, "The Five Pennies", with Danny Kaye playing Red Nichols. He gets drunk and invites himself up to jam with Louis Armstrong. Obviously, Hollywood wrote this to go right. (the scene is in two clips below)

11 replies since Aug. 01 2013, 8:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Can I play in your band tonight?"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions