2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sunburn on legs?, despite long pants< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 10:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thursday I settled some unfinished business with Pikes Peak and hiked up and down the Barr Trail.  My legs felt great all the way.  

That night when I changed clothes I noted red areas over an inch high just above my sock line on both feet.  (My sock line was above my boot line).  Today it started peeling, so I'm guessing it may have been sunburn instead of some other issue.  The confusing thing is I was wearing Kuhl long legged hiking pants.  

Have any of you experienced that?  Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Although I have not experienced it with pants, I have with a shirt. They do now carry SPF ratings.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Bohan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 2:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've noticed a lot of the SPF rated clothing doesn't have a tight weave. I hold it up to the light to check. I don't see the point in buying that. Show me a hat or T-shirt with an SPF rating and a tight weave and I may be interested.
 Post Number: 4
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 9:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did you recently get into some giant hogweed or similar plant that causes sensitivity to sunlight?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given it was just down around the ankles, I can't see blaming the pants--the tops of the legs would have much more exposure.  I'd say either contact dermatitis or the pants are short enough that climbing steps exposed a bit of leg.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 6
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would tend to agree with Rebecca's input.   Could also be due to reflected sunlight up off the ground especially if that area has bright rock like granite.  Mountaineers negotiating  in summer snow fields sometimes get sunburn in places like their neck and chins or if wearing shorts on shins and calves if they don't bother to apply sunscreen to all exposed areas.   Since your lower legs are closest to the ground, more intense ultraviolet light is going to be down there as it is a distance squared factor from whatever source.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 7
MoonNerd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first guess was Dave's idea of reflected sunlight, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.  I love the pants and wear them all the time and have never noticed any contact issues before.  This was the longest hike I've done with them.  Next time I will try some sunscreen on my legs as well.  Thanks for all your input!
6 replies since Aug. 18 2013, 10:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sunburn on legs?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions