2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Louis Vuitton Cup Finals, Sailing fans only< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 4:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those AC72’s are AMAZING to watch in action…but…wouldn’t it be nice to actually watch a match race ?
Race 1: New Zealand win…Italy breaks dagger board
Race 2: Italy win…New Zealand loses dagger board hydraulics
Race 3: New Zealand win…Italy wing control arm breaks

Seriously, this would be a lot more fun if the competition was something other than “who breaks first and worse”.  I’m not sure these AC72’s are ready for prime time.
The highlight of this final series so far is when NZ buried the bows on a bearway at mark 3 on Saturday…swept 2 hands overboard.

--------------
Arizona
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They are fun to watch, but the designs are so much on the bleeding-edge that there's no margin for error.
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The foils were definitely one step too far. Too bad the judges ruled they weren't illegal like the defender of record wanted. They were snuck through an alleged loophole by a challenger and not part of the original, overt, design specification.

Yes all the interruptions makes for a joke of a competition. They might be interesting in a  future competition once the tech is sorted out, if the series survives this disaster.

Non-foiling 72's would have been a hellaciousely fast race. Plus with the less expensive design they might have had a decent Vuiton Cup series of a dozen teams rather than three....
 Post Number: 4
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

“Bleeding” edge…I like that

For those of you that don’t know what we are talking about, here is a short clip of New Zealand’s bearaway at Mark 3 Race 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFjxEfg_mEw

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

C'mon.  Bleeding edge is being on a 12' Sunfish two miles off Tybee Island.  BTDT.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do think their heart's in the right place with making something that's arranged to be viewable from shoreside bleachers. And they provide spectacle beyond belief!
 Post Number: 7
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah--but wouldn't it have been fun to see someone enter a Hobie Cat in this race?  Right now, that Hobie Cat would be in second place....!

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 5:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Aug. 19 2013, 2:18 pm)
Yeah--but wouldn't it have been fun to see someone enter a Hobie Cat in this race?  Right now, that Hobie Cat would be in second place....!

Yeah that'd be hilarious.

When the Kiwi's ran out their "Big Red Boat" to try and snooker the Cup and Conner countered with a catamaran a buddy gave them a taste of what they'd let themselves in for by, quite literally, running circles around the big monohull in a stock Hobie 21 pffshore of Point Loma.

He said the crew kept looking at him, looking up at their sails, then back down at him glummer and glummer, as he ran around them like they weren't moving.... in a cat a fraction the size of what they would face in the competition... oops.

Rumor had it Conner dragged a sea anchor during most legs to avoid being preposterously far ahead to try and avoid even more outraged lawsuits and I can't say I reject that out of hand....
 Post Number: 9
balzaccom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No question that these big boats are faster than a Hobie.  But the Hobie would finish every race. And so far, these megacats are only finishing half the races they start----lots of DNF.  

Wouldn't that be a hoot if the Hobie just managed to finish enough of the races to leave the other two boats out of contention?

--------------
Balzaccom

Check out our blog and website:  

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(balzaccom @ Aug. 19 2013, 3:45 pm)
No question that these big boats are faster than a Hobie.  But the Hobie would finish every race. And so far, these megacats are only finishing half the races they start----lots of DNF.  

Wouldn't that be a hoot if the Hobie just managed to finish enough of the races to leave the other two boats out of contention?

Nah, wouldn't happen. The DNF's are from pushing the edge while sailing, which they wouldn't need to do to completely lap a Hobie.

No need to foil and risk a trip like in the video when going against a smaller boat: even staying wet they'd completely trample a Hobie. The DNF's are from two boats having to sail right on that edge since they're evenly matched in "safe" performance I'd suggest. But backed off they're still eyewidening fast... look at the results for the 45s. And these 72s run away from the 45s.....

Sailed conservatively the 72s would finish every race, look at that slam stop when they buried the hull and threw off the crewman: on many a boat that would have threatened to bring down the mast: that boat just tore up some netting..
 Post Number: 11
johnhens Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 19 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watched Charlie Rose interview Ellison. He said the next cup would be 45's so that more countries could compete.
I think they should make all the boats identical and the race determined by the skills of the team and and not who has the $$$$$$ to win.
 Post Number: 12
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I liked the old monohulls better when strategy would win.  I did enjoy the creaking of the carbon fiber hulls, masts, etc. when they were in Switzerland (I think it was Switzerland that was the Defender).
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EGreno @ Aug. 20 2013, 5:23 am)
I liked the old monohulls better when strategy would win.  I did enjoy the creaking of the carbon fiber hulls, masts, etc. when they were in Switzerland (I think it was Switzerland that was the Defender).

The problem was the International Paint Drying semi-finals beat the crap out of the Cup ratings-wise due to the higher level of sustained excitement. Little dots on a screen tootling along at ten knots does not for riveting entertainment make.

And these days, with rare exceptions, it's not rich people paying the bills it's corporations and they demand eyeballs.

Oh and make no mistake pretty much from Day One tech has played a critical role. America won because she was a superior craft and that aspect held onward through creative use of the Deed of Gift (the winner writes the rules for the next competition), in the early days through the rule the challenger's boats had to sail or at least be capable of doing so, to the site  of the competition: meaning the NY Yacht Club's entrant had to make it off the dock out into the sound while the challengers had to make it across the North Atlantic, meaning a serious weight advantage to the defender. Plus there was a "national" materials restriction that kept the best (North) sails off the other boats.
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps it would liven things up if contact between boats was allowed.

Ramming Speed Mr. Ellison!
 Post Number: 15
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah.  Everything HSF said.

I was a fan in those ‘watching the paint dry’ days too.  The wife would just shake her head and go find something else to do while I was guessing the tacticians next moves.

I thought it was pretty cool in those days, and was actually miffed when they nixed the traditional monos to go with the cats.  But I have to admit now, these new flying cats are really something to watch… Even the wife thought that nose dive the Kiwi’s took on Saturday was exciting.

I just wish they didn’t break so often.
Today is a lay day…have to wait until tomorrow to see who breaks next.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 20 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Aug. 19 2013, 2:42 pm)
Sailing fans only

I'm hardly a "sailing fan", but I'm posting here anyway.  Just because. :p :D

Those boats are wicked fast.  I can see why someone would take a keen interest in it.  Fascinating stuff.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 17
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This whole race is about the spectators....nothing more.

Have the race in a bay, next to shore, and on fast arse boats.

Its either to get the landlubbers to get into sailing or to show off how big a e-peen money can buy.

Myself, I prefer the Volvo Ocean Racing or the Vendee Globe.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Has anyone from Emirates New Zealand said anything about the possible boat were they to successfully challenge? They were the ones to introduce the foil....
 Post Number: 19
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Uncle is a former professional sailor- who is still an active racer as a tactician on a big boat. Mostly West coast racing now around the Ventura area with several multiday races and the occasional Transpac (which he has done 20+ times).

He gave me a sabot for my 8th birthday and I have been messing around in small boats since then. Owned a Pridle at one point and have flown the hull more times than I can count and dug the bow like these guys did more than once.

Watching Americas Cup has definately been an evolution.

He is in awe of these boats. So am I.

One class is the way to go. I think the 45s make more sense, but wow, those 72s are impressive.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
18 replies since Aug. 19 2013, 4:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Louis Vuitton Cup Finals
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions