2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Linda Ronstadt won't be singing anymore, Parkinson's Disease< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From the news tonight...

One of the greatest female voices in music history has been silenced. Linda Ronstadt announced today that she has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and will never be able to sing again.

In this auto-tune world too many people haven't been exposed to true, great voices. Ronstadt helped define '70s and '80s rock with a voice pure and true. Not many singers would take on Roy Orbison ("Blue Bayou") or many of the other classics she covered, including "Desperado," "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" and "You're No Good."

She revealed her condition on the AARP website today, saying "I couldn’t sing, and I couldn’t figure out why.... and it didn’t occur to me to go to a neurologist. I think I’ve had it for seven or eight years already, because of the symptoms that I’ve had. Then I had a shoulder operation, so I thought that’s why my hands were trembling."

The diagnosis was devastating.

“Parkinson’s is very hard to diagnose, so when I finally went to a neurologist and he said, ‘Oh, you have Parkinson’s disease,’ I was completely shocked. I wouldn’t have suspected that in a million, billion years." As a result, she said, she "can't sing a note."

“No one can sing with Parkinson’s disease,” Ronstadt said. “No matter how hard you try.”

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Cloudwalker Search for posts by this member.
?

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:(

--------------
My website

Find me on facebook and shoot me a friends request
 Post Number: 3
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Damn.  A truly great singer.  

And that's a great song.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That would be a shock

Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just had coffee and a waffle with an acquaintance that has had Parkinson's for about 11 years.
We discussed hope for a possible cure or something that can slow down or stop its progress.
 Post Number: 7
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One of my favorites.

Later in her career she switched genera's and won a grammy for her Spanish language album going back to her roots, "Canciones de mi Padre"

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Cloudwalker @ Aug. 23 2013, 7:13 pm)

+1.  But as Michael J. Fox and many others have shown... Parkinson's sufferers can live full, meaningful lives too.  All the best, Linda, and thanks for the music!

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 12:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really sad.  Of all the contemporary female vocalists, she's one my absolute favorites.  What a talent.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 5:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Aug. 24 2013, 12:32 am)
Really sad.  Of all the contemporary female vocalists, she's one my absolute favorites.  What a talent.

Agreed

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She got her start with the Stone Poneys singing "Different Drum" written by Michael Nesmith of the Monkees. I think most of us males (and likely many females) were in love with her.

http://youtu.be/UMVvRImExKc

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Aug. 24 2013, 8:10 am)
I think most of us males (and likely many females) were in love with her.

I know I was.

You know I've been looking at and listening to the clips people posted of her performing and one thing that struck me is that when she preforms there are no lights, no special effects, no dazzle or theatrics.  All she does is sing.  And man, that's all she has to do.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 13
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know many people have been described as a force of nature but, she was.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 14
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't even imagine how depressing this must be for her.    :(

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Probably my all-time favorate singer. A sad time for her and all of her fans.
 Post Number: 16
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It has to be devastating to lose one's best gift and talent.  Very sad.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 17
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Aug. 24 2013, 12:04 am)
 But as Michael J. Fox and many others have shown... Parkinson's sufferers can live full, meaningful lives too.

I really hope she fares that well, at it sounds like she has so far.  However, the severity of symptoms and effectiveness of treatment vary considerably among those afflicted.  A relative who was diagnosed about six years ago is miserable much of the time and is capable of interacting with others a couple times a day for 1-1.5 hours each time.  At the end of those intervals, she's essentially non-functional for at least five or six hours.
 Post Number: 18
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Truly a loss.  I have had several relative with Parkinson Disease and have seen it devastating effects up close and personal.  

Wishing her the best!

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 19
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 24 2013, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depression is one of the common consequences of getting PD.
I understand why...

The person I referred to in my previous comment was the head in Australia of a well known International brand.
Now he is treated by some as a kind of moron when in fact he is just slower in movements and thought but still knows very well what is going on and very capable of sustaining a conversation just like before, if you are patient.

To put a positive spin to this, having people like Linda, Michael J Fox and Mohammad Ali as known sufferers brings more awareness to the disease and maybe greater pressure to find a cure or at least to stop the rapid death of those dopamine generating cells.
Hang in there.
18 replies since Aug. 23 2013, 10:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Linda Ronstadt won't be singing anymore
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions