2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Car key question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 7:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought a used car for my son (don't worry, he's paying for all of it).  It's a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback.  Problem is that it only came with one key which has a chip in it.  I'm sure you know how expensive it is to have a duplicate made.  Anyone know of a cheaper way to have a car key with a chip in it made other than paying anywhere from $60 to $80  :O  at a dealer or lock shop? Or am I screwed?  

Please answer before tomorrow as I think that may be an interesting day on the boards with the new format and all.

Thanks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 7:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You need the chip key to start the car.

I dont think that a key shop can do a key for you so it may be a Stealership item.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The keys for my 2001 Jeep had to come from the dealer; however, I "programmed" them myself, avoiding that substantial fee.  Instructions were in the owner's manual.  

I do have a couple of chipless keys that will open the door.  I hide a real key inside, and hide a chipless key in a magnetic holder on the outside of the car when I park it at trailheads.  

Despite the expense, I think that the chipped keys are a good thing.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agree with above that your corner locksmith won't be able to duplicate a chipped key.  But, Hikejer, if it's any consolation... your son will be the one paying for the extra key.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Aug. 31 2013, 4:13 pm)
I just bought a used car for my son (don't worry, he's paying for all of it).  It's a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback.  Problem is that it only came with one key which has a chip in it.

Here is some info.

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Aug. 31 2013, 11:48 pm)
Here is some info.

-Don-

Thanks so much Don.  I'll give it a shot.  One question if I may:  if I do this wrong, can I screw up the car's ignition system?

Thanks again.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
Geo. Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 4:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Sep. 01 2013, 1:25 am)

(DonTom @ Aug. 31 2013, 11:48 pm)
Here is some info.

-Don-

Thanks so much Don.  I'll give it a shot.  One question if I may:  if I do this wrong, can I screw up the car's ignition system?

Thanks again.

Hikerjer,
Reading the method that has to be used it looks like you need two chipped keys already in your possession before you can make another one. (comments further on in that post thread about that)  If you only have the one key then you may be screwed.
getting an extra chipped key from dealers is also expensive here in NZ.  :(
Geo.

--------------
Dances With Marmots  
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 6:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Aug. 31 2013, 10:25 pm)

Thanks again.

In some cars, you can temporary screw it up where it can run for a half mile or so and then everything dies. But as soon as it sees what it wants to see, all is fine.  On your vehicle, it's best to ask in the forum for your car.

Not all cars are the same when it comes to these  chipped up keys.

-Don-  SF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 6:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Aug. 31 2013, 5:49 pm)
Agree with above that your corner locksmith won't be able to duplicate a chipped key.  But, Hikejer, if it's any consolation... your son will be the one paying for the extra key.   :;):

The larger, better locksmiths should be able to do it. You usually do NOT have to go to a dealer unless you want to pay twice as much for nothing.

The better locksmiths with have the same programming equipment as the dealers use. But not much chance for a place that only duplicates keys. You have to go to a real locksmith where locks and keys are the only things they do. There's a few of such here in the SF area that deal with chipped keys and car remotes every day for all makes.

-Don-  SF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again, guys, for all the suggestions.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

--------------
9 replies since Aug. 31 2013, 7:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Car key question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions