2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

new topic new poll
Topic: "Acting All White", I guess it's good< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 3:32 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I was in my neighborhood Chipotle making my usual small talk with all female staff, all of whom seem to be enamored with 3 year old Little Hungry.

I overheard two young African American women behind me mutter something about ordering "as soon as this guy stops acting all white."

Considering I have been very white the better part of 46 years, I guess that is a good thing.  :;):

--------------
Summon the Minions!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Haha, how dare you!  That must have been on the list of "things white people like" - chatting and being friendly to customer services workers, not throwing obscenities and mooning them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....26.html

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

You might want to be more concerned about melanoma: obviously your summer tan confused them since that's a pejorative usually reserved for fellow people of color.

Perhaps consider not renewing that tanning salon membership? Or at least consult your dermatologist.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 4:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 03 2013, 3:53 pm)
You might want to be more concerned about melanoma: obviously your summer tan confused them since that's a pejorative usually reserved for fellow people of color.

Perhaps consider not renewing that tanning salon membership? Or at least consult your dermatologist.

I must admit that I have quite the savage tan for a guy of northern European descent thanks to a good amount of cycling this summer. But my guess is that my HipHop attire was probably the main source of confusion.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

What's HipHop?

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Get with it man, don't you know what "hip hop attire" is?

Sheesh!

Post Number: 7
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 03 2013, 1:23 pm)
Get with it man, don't you know what "hip hop attire" is?

Sheesh!

I had that exact same get up in robin egg blue polyester back in the 70's, before hip hop was even cool!  :cool:

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Fawning over babies and toddlers is pretty universal.   I don't think it has anything to do with acting white.  The two ladies behind you were probably having a bad day...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

(Ben2World @ Sep. 03 2013, 7:05 pm)
.. The two ladies behind you were probably having a bad day...

Or they might have been ... hungry (i.e...impatient)

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

BuuuuhhhhrrrpppPPPPppppp? Excuse me.

Out there none of us really know the lives the rest of us lead. I agree that the young ladies were just likely impaitent, and human.

With all due respect and IMO I don't think there was any need to highlight their behavior here. I'm not sure what you're trying to say, imply, or validation you seek, but I think this thread was not among the best of your ideas. I have enjoyed several of your posts Jack and never really found major, shocked offense, but today is different and I'll throw my bias in below.

There are a fair number of "conservatives" out there screaming horror that the President put his shoe on the desk in the Oval office to stretch while speaking to Speaker Boehner on Saturday. This guy sat down next to me at the Silver Dollar this evening and I was reading USA today with that picture and he spoke of the President with a pejorative I will not share here. I let him have it, asked him what his real beef with the President was and when he couldn't articulate ANYTHING beyond bigotry I called him out and threw the race card in his face and of course, the man had a tell as wide as the Pacific as he realized I was a bit bigger than him and I wasn't going to be his yes man tonight.

However un-white you might be Jack neither of us will ever know what it means to be black in a white country. Neither of us will likely ever know what it means to be stalked simply because of our complexion. Neither of us will likely ever know true,  discrimination whether we want to scream victimization or not.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

There's places helpful suggestions of the location of the nearest by the hour notell motel would have been offered to speed things along.

Me? I usually just make strong eye contact with the manager.

Chipotles only have one line, so you were holding up everyone in the place? Bogus move. Oh and letting an apparently entitled, selfish stranger know their behavior isn't appreciated doesn't signify anyone was having a bad day. Chat OUT of the line buddy, to your heart's content.
 Post Number: 12
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Hey DC, you'll probably never know what it's like to be white in a black country, either.

I grew up in a 60% black community.  Played high school football on a team that was 70% black.  My black teammates and friends defended me from more black bigotry than I had to defend them from white bigotry.  IN THE DEEP SOUTH.

There are people that get MLK's ideas, and there are those that don't.  Don't EVER confuse the two.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 13
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 1:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Personally I find it pretty entertaining that you were using your toddler son as a prop for hitting on the female help while in the serving line.  

And, apparently this is a normal behavior for you! To wit: I was in my neighborhood Chipotle making my usual small talk with all female staff, all of whom seem to be enamored with 3 year old Little Hungry.

If the girls had been on top of their game they would have asked Little Hungry where his Momma was, and I am guessing the line would have moved right along.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

So he was holding up the line because the girls thought his kid was cute.

Is that a reason to get "all black"

Maybe those women should head down the road to instead of eating at a white bread yuppie hangout like Chipotle.
 Post Number: 15
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

what it means to be black in a white country.  Neither of us will likely ever know what it means to be stalked simply because of our complexion. Neither of us will likely ever know true,  discrimination whether we want to scream victimization or not.

Horses**t. I have been the only apparent white* in a black country and those things can happen anywhere. anytime when someone of any color is in the minority. Hell, it even happens in the US when a white ends up in the "wrong neighborhood" and for being the wrong color and when it does, it is blatant racism no matter how much people like you claim it isn't.

*I'm a very racial mix but I appear to be white.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 8:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I think West nailed it. Using my adorable Little Hungry as a foil to court the attention of the delightful gaupas at Chipotle is a no-no. If I want to indulge my inner Latin child, Rosetta Stone provides a fine set of DVDs. The line at Chipotle is no place to fine tune your lines!

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

If you really want to drag out the "chick magnet" heavy artillery....

Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Cute, but at least my son is potty trained.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 10:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Let it go and move on.  It is a small issue in respect to everything else.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 20
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Black people criticizing white people in a Mexican restaurant. Were the workers Asian? Which begs the question: How come there ain't no Asian Mexican restaurants? Dog burrito? Wanton frijole soup? It is hard to eat beans with chopsticks.
 Post Number: 21
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I was the one white guy on a 12 man city leauge basketball team for years. But after the games I was a white guy in a country where we all outnumber blacks what, about 10-1 or something?

TDale, MLW: Do you think one racism rationalizes another? I'm honestly confused just what it is you are trying to say? Being multiracial but appearing white for all intents and purposes makes you white in the eyes of a community MLW. Really, just what is it you are trying to say here?

I applaud folks like Bill Cosby urging African Americans to be hold themselves accountable above all others. I however condem the notion that one hatred justifies another.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 22
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Oh, dear.  If the situation were reversed, it would be national news and riots at HJ's house. Instead, Hungry Jack makes light of it in a backpacking forum and it's as though he p*ssed on MLK's grave.  C'mon.

For someone who lives in one of the whitest states in the country, DC sure has a lot of white guilt.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Seriously, I should have known better than to stir the pot with this anecdote. I just found it amusing.

I generally find stereotypes about me quite funny. It would take MUCH MUCH MORE than a comment like that to truly offend me. I don't think the two young women meant anything personal or malicious. It is just interesting to get a glimpse of the world through another set of eyes.

Let's forget about proving our racial bonafides and just acknowledge that the world is a better place when we as individuals act considerately and respectfully.

And yes, I will continue to take Little Hungry to Chipotle (he loves it, and the girls there love him) and banter with the staff.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 24
HikeClimbBike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I thought public lynching was reserved for the coffee colored folks.  Some people need to lighten up.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Is this the point where we all do one of those group hugs then sing Kumbaya?
 Post Number: 26
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

You didn't take this opportunity to dialogue with them about what "acting all white" entails?

You can't avoid doing so unless you have a clear definition of it's parameters.

You should have sat next to them, picked their brains on the subject, and taken copious notes.

I'm particularly interested in how it differs from "acting all black" and where do you fall if you're of mixed genetic stock.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I think above all, I was acting like a proud father, and perhaps someone who enjoys talking to people that he encounters quite regularly.

For those who cannot buy that, time to move along. Nothing to see here.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

I for one refuse to feel any "white guilt" over mey privilaged "white" status.  I also don't accept the mantra od some of "reverse discrimination" and the white whine over such things.  The OJ trial and the Rodney King incident highlighted racial tensions and differing attitudes between black and white america.  The most recent hand wringing over the Travon Martin tragedy was a bit too much in my estimation.

At the same time, I am not oblivious to "white privilege" and our national history of discrimination.  I am self aware enough to realize there are elements of racism in me, remnants so-to-speak in my heritage.  I acknowledge all that without letting it bog me down.

Anyway, maybe a little comedy will help us understand and put things into perspective.  WARNING:  Explicit Language

Laugh and learn ...

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 1:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   

Do you think one racism rationalizes another?

No but apparently many on the left do. I've seen many comments from the left that boil down to "minorities are entitled to be racists because they've been the targets of racism for so long".

If a black person had posted about a white guy commenting on "acting all black", the same people criticizing HJ would be up in arms about a racist remark instead of blaming the black guy for "causing" the comment.

Being multiracial but appearing white for all intents and purposes makes you white in the eyes of a community MLW.

It does but you've missed the point. Racism works from all colors. It's not all one way.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   

(Montanalonewolf @ Sep. 04 2013, 10:09 am)
I've seen many comments from the left that boil down to "minorities are entitled to be racists because they've been the targets of racism for so long".

Oooorrrr ... maybe that is your conservative misinterpretation of their comments.

Rumi

--------------
60 replies since Sep. 03 2013, 3:32 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
new topic new poll

» Quick Reply "Acting All White"
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions