2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What caused the Yosemite fire< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buddero Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 1:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — Forest Service: Huge wildfire near Yosemite began when hunter allowed illegal fire to escape.

That's all the detail I found.

Just a little thoughtlessness; some me, the center of the universe; some I don't need no stinking government bureaucrat to tell ME what to do. I'M A MAN!

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope that hunter was a Silicon Valley millionaire: that $81 million bill is going to sting otherwise. Then there's the liability for the injuries...

http://inciweb.org/incident/article/3660/21282/

"Cost to date: $81 million Injuries: 5"
http://inciweb.org/incident/article/3660/21279/

Agreed no one by this time of year in California is unaware of the fire restrictions and the tremendous hazards open fires threaten. Well that selfishness is going to bite them big time. And it should.

Perhaps that's why the cause took so long to announce: a criminal investigation wants to get it all in place before giving the perpetrator a heads up.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

More info about the hunter here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....94.html

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 4
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 3:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When will they ever learn?
 Post Number: 5
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Will be interesting to see how this news settles over web hunting communities.   Will suggest some lurk on their discussions of this topic.  

Just like with all manner of outdoor enthusiast communities, there is a spectrum of people from those who very considerately follow environmental and outdoor policies and laws to those who are at the other extreme flaunting laws with a vengeance.  Thus one can never be too critical with a broad swath.   However one can make statements like "too many fishermen at reservoirs tend to litter".  Or "some ORV users will ignore laws on not driving off roads in sensitive environmental areas unless authorities physically block acesss points".  Or "though a minority, too many backpackers ignore policies of not creating campfires at high elevation areas where they are illegal".

In like manner one as an outsider of those communities might suggest, "though a minority, too many hunters have had an arrogant attitude of doing whatever they want to do when out in remote areas beyond the reach of the law, as it reflects anti-government attitudes of the whole gun enthusiast community."

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paula53 @ Sep. 05 2013, 12:24 pm)

430 square miles burned, millions expended fighting the fire, FIFTEEN dead: and he got "Sergio Martinez was sentenced to six months in a work-furlough program, 960 hours of community service and five years of probation in 2005....

The so-called Cedar Fire burned nearly 430 square miles, caused 15 deaths and destroyed more than 2,200 homes."

Lesson learned indeed: get a slap on the wrist and carry on. A lesson indeed....
 Post Number: 7
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was going to say something sarcastic re a successful hunt, but the toll on wildlife is too much for sarcasm or irony. It's just awful.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 8
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait!  Fox news alert!  

http://www.foxnews.com/us....spreads

Growing pot starts fires, who knew?

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 9
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably shouldn't surprise me - Stanislaus is not a household name...  But I think it's interesting that it's known as the Yosemite Fire

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/map/3660/0/

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 10
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 5:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 05 2013, 4:18 pm)

(paula53 @ Sep. 05 2013, 12:24 pm)

430 square miles burned, millions expended fighting the fire, FIFTEEN dead: and he got "Sergio Martinez was sentenced to six months in a work-furlough program, 960 hours of community service and five years of probation in 2005....

The so-called Cedar Fire burned nearly 430 square miles, caused 15 deaths and destroyed more than 2,200 homes."

Lesson learned indeed: get a slap on the wrist and carry on. A lesson indeed....

Sergio was lost and started a fire to get found.  

If this hunter was just having a campfire while camping, then it may be seen different in the eyes of a judge.  Hopefully.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Sep. 05 2013, 2:50 pm)
More info about the hunter here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....94.html

That Huff Post Article said, "Because of high fire danger across the region, the Forest Service had banned fires outside of developed camping areas more than a week before the fire started."

Well before a week....   I was on the Stanislaus NF website, and it appears that where this fire started was in their high fire danger area, which went into restrictions back in June.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Sep. 05 2013, 1:15 pm)
I don't need no stinking government bureaucrat to tell ME what to do. I'M A MAN!

I don't know if that's part of the cause in this case, but I see/hear this attitude every day.

What's really surprising is how some people decry unions, banks, Greenpeace, NSA - anything right or left that doesn't perfectly align with their own thoughts - and then declare "I deserve..."  "I pay more taxes than he does..." "I've been here for 5 years and no one can tell me..."

Somehow their own perceived entitlements are OK, but the entitlements of others are not.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

But I digress.  Off to TPA with me...
 Post Number: 13
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(1camper @ Sep. 05 2013, 5:36 pm)
Wait!  Fox news alert!  

http://www.foxnews.com/us....spreads

Growing pot starts fires, who knew?

Did you happen to read the fact that theory was hatched out of thin air[speculation]? False or not just one more great reason to stop indulging the most destructive force in our society, the Black Market.

Good to see you camper. Hope you and yours are well.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 14
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks DC,  

The black market?  

What about Faux News?  :D

Yep, pulled it outta thin air and made it the headline with no evidence I could see, or any plausible senario how growing plants starts fires.

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The local sheriff first put the pot gardener out there as a possibility at an early newscast he held.
 Post Number: 16
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The sheriff has motive to blame pot growers I guess, but why the heck would people growing pot want to start fires?  Seems like that would bring unwanted attention..

Blame the damn hippies!  Fox plays to an audience.

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(1camper @ Sep. 05 2013, 6:22 pm)
The sheriff has motive to blame pot growers I guess, but why the heck would people growing pot want to start fires?  Seems like that would bring unwanted attention..

Blame the damn hippies!  Fox plays to an audience.

Well to cook food? People out in the back could want to cook food and a campfire is lighter than bringing in stove fuel.....

Heck he might have just fallen into the very common error of trying to answer the endless flood of questions with a variety of speculative possibilities one of which was a pot farm and that one got grabbed as having more sex than a faulty spark arrester on an atv....
 Post Number: 18
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pot farmers are like cattle ranchers; they love forest fires in order to open up more agricultural land.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 19
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

..then blame a campfire?  But you're right, not a very sexy headline.

I'd expect pot growers to have pretty good gear, at least a pocket rocket..I wouldn't think they would opt for smoke in a place where wood fires are banned.  ..but maybe they are real hardcore gram counters because they have to carry shovels and whatnot..  we know they have scales. ;)

--------------

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 20
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 8:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For those who haven't seen them, the HuffPost photos are incredible.
 Post Number: 21
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pocket Rocket?  Lol

They are known to have multi-burner stoves, the type one would take car camping, and full size propane canisters (Coleman) or the big tanks even.  They are back there for a while and the small fuel canisters backpackers use wouldn't last long.  

Go to the Sporting Goods Section at Wal Mart or Big 5 - big heavy cotton sleeping bags that are cheap, cheap chairs, cheap tarps, etc. is what they typically use.  And they leave it all there, along with all their trash, when they leave.

The La Brea Fire on the Los Padres NF a few years back was started by a pot grower's campfire

--------------
 Post Number: 22
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HUNTER. oR, SOME WHO MESSED UP WITH CAMPFIRE.

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 10:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

They know the person's identity and they're saying"hunter" so I'm willing to go along with that until there's a correction.
22 replies since Sep. 05 2013, 1:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What caused the Yosemite fire
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions