2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jaguar Attacks Caiman, In Brazil's Pantanal Wetlands< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 9:28 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool series of photos.

How hungry do you have to be before fighting a caiman sounds like a good idea? In the Pantanal, Brazil's eastern wetlands, the answer seems to be "about average."

The proof is captured in an astounding set of photos taken by Justin Black, a nature photographer and the founder of Visionary Wild, a wildlife photography school.

The photos show a stealthy jaguar slowly emerge from undergrowth behind a Yacare caiman that's busy sunning itself on the opposite side of a stretch of river. Undeterred by the water, the jaguar slips into the river, sneaks up behind the caiman, and attacks.

"He lifted the 150lb caiman from the ground and trotted toward the water like it was a doggie bone," Black told the Daily Mail. "The fact he attacked from the water is astonishing ... It was reminiscent of crocs attacking land animals in Africa."

Panthera, a wild cat conservation group, reports Brazil's Pantanal is home to the highest density of jaguars in the world. National Geographic lists the animal as "near threatened," noting the creature is often targeted by hunters, as well as ranchers who see the cats as a threat to livestock.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013....D369455

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 9:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like he/she made pretty short work of it.

They do taste just like chicken...
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's interesting to me that I've always put the big cats and crocodilians as prime examples of an apex predator.  Although very different, they're both masterful ambush hunters.  To see one preying on the other, especially with the cat coming from the water is astounding.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 4
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jaguars are really quite badass.

They will stalk and prey upon humans, right? I remember the Survivorman episode where Les was in the Amazon, and he was really, really fearful that a jaguar was stalking him as he returned to the village late at night.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 5
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Neat set of photos. One set of powerful jaws against another.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
OBX H2O Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2013, 8:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  Just Wow!

--------------
"I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul."  -- Sigurd Olson
 Post Number: 7
Panhandler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw a nature show recently, probably on Natgeo, where a jaguar came out of the bush close to a river and dragged a caiman out of the water. Also a jaguar snatching up a sea turtle from the surf. Just checked youtube and found several jag caiman videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results....m6gGSIk
 Post Number: 8
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Hungry Jack @ Sep. 06 2013, 8:24 am)
Jaguars are really quite badass.

They will stalk and prey upon humans, right? I remember the Survivorman episode where Les was in the Amazon, and he was really, really fearful that a jaguar was stalking him as he returned to the village late at night.

I just had an Arizona website mentioning Jaguars have avoided humans (so far).  They are hunted in northern Mexico ... mostly ranchers guarding the flocks/herds (know a few Mexican ranching families) ..  and likely the cubs are taught to be wary of humans in that source population in northern Mexico.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Really?  Don't you think that any sensible Jaguar would have preferred one or more of the twenty or so cameramen, directors and producers that were filming the intrepid Les while he was being so frightened at the thought of a stealthy predator??  I bet most of them are younger and fatter than Les.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
8 replies since Sep. 06 2013, 9:28 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jaguar Attacks Caiman
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions