2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Swimming naked?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Amelie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 6:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a member of a Swedish outdoor community, where we just now are discussing whether there are cultural differences regarding swimming naked in the nature. So the question is:

If you are by a lake or river in the middle of the forest, is it ok to swim naked, if there is a risk of anyone passing by, for example if there is a footpath nearby. Do you think that anyone who passes by would feel bad about it?

It would be interesting to see if your answers differ from the swedish answers.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
orygawn Search for posts by this member.
Sleeping Bag Man!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 6:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am totally, completely, 100% in favor of Swedish women bathing naked in the wilderness.
 Post Number: 3
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In America, swimming naked is called "skinny dipping".

Skinny dipping is a long held and cherished tradition.  Especially when in the wilderness.
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I'm pretty sure there's no one else in the area, I swim naked. My trips are usually in the high elevation mountains--the lakes are so cold up there, even in August, that my "swims" only last long enough to rinse off the critical parts. So the risk of someone coming while I'm in the water is pretty slim.

If I know (or suspect) that there are other people in the area, I'll leave my drawers on.
 Post Number: 5
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 7:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the US NW it's generally not as big a deal as elsewhere in the US. There are a LOT of natural "wild" hot springs in that region and virtually all are clothing optional. Most people and law enforcement really don't care one way or the other.

Besides, if you are swimming nude in the wilderness, who's going to hike miles out and report you?

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 6
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 7:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where I live, people swimming naked are either drunks or homeless.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 7
1camper Search for posts by this member.
love advocate

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 7:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've noticed the people who choose to swim naked are not the ones I care to see naked, but maybe pics of the Swedish outdoor community swimming naked could change my mind.  Post 'em up!

--------------
"If people think nature is their friend, then they sure don't need an enemy."

Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 8:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As can be discerned from the request for pictures, many of the posters here are men.  From my own experience, men are much more likely to swim naked in the back country, or anywhere else.  Women are rightfully more hesitant, as in this country women cannot swim topless without being stared at, or made to feel like they are doing something they shouldn't.

As for swimming naked when there is a possibility of being seen by others, the main concern for men would be families with children.  No one wants to be thought of as a pervert who enjoys exposing himself to children.

If more people swam naked, and more children were exposed to a normal naked human, then perhaps we wouldn't immediately think of sexual things when faced with naked swimmers.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naked or Nekkid?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Sep. 12 2013, 8:17 am)
As can be discerned from the request for pictures, many of the posters here are men.  From my own experience, men are much more likely to swim naked in the back country, or anywhere else.  Women are rightfully more hesitant, as in this country women cannot swim topless without being stared at, or made to feel like they are doing something they shouldn't.

As for swimming naked when there is a possibility of being seen by others, the main concern for men would be families with children.  No one wants to be thought of as a pervert who enjoys exposing himself to children.

If more people swam naked, and more children were exposed to a normal naked human, then perhaps we wouldn't immediately think of sexual things when faced with naked swimmers.  

Well I know there are some women naked that make men go blind in a great way, then again there are some women naked that make men go blind in an extremely horrific way. I just play it safe and think of them as a cyclops.

In part this country was founded by "Puritans" that in escaping the religous persecution they found in Europe set up their own web of persecution here. Nudity is a problem for many, but none whatsoever for many as well.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 11
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The problem is some prude who acts like they have never seen genitals before will report you and you'll end up with a sex offender conviction requiring you to register as a sex offender wherever you live.  I've read of that happening to people who were merely relieving themselves.  But it seems to only apply to men, not women, so all you women should feel free to prance around naked wherever you want.
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't trail hike. I think I would be more cautious if I did but most of the lakes/streams that I camp near have not a soul within miles so I often bathe naked. I don't use soap. I just use sand/moss.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About time a woman spoke up.  Until recently, I swam (or bathed--like cweston the water is usually too cold for more than a jump in and levitate out kind of thing) naked unless there were people around when I started.  I'm not concerned about people walking by while I'm in the water--they won't see much.  And I've skinny dipped in mixed company when hiking with male friends, as well as in hot springs where that's the done thing regardless of who's around (though unless they are in deep shade I'm apt to wear a shirt to prevent sunburn).

I seldom skinny dip now when with the family, because my boys are teens and that seems just mean.  Besides, a good rinse for the underclothes is a nice idea.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 14
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see no problem with it as long as one is discreet.  If there's a good chance people will be along at a close distance, I might be hesitant but to to an big degree.  I like to take a quick dip without clothes on occasion.  Genrally, I guess I feel if people are offended by it, they shouldn't look.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 15
Dave Senesac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much what cweston and ol-zeke related.  At elevations backpackers visit in the Sierra Nevada, it is usually too chilly to do anything but a quick  get clean rinse off jump in and out. I'm notorious for doing so almost every day in the backcountry especially after lugging a pack miles. We are more often camped in places away from trails and usual popular camp spots along lakes, where no one else is about.   However if I am in an area others might happen by, I'll wear a lightweight quick dry pair of nylon shorts which hardly adds any weight to one's pack and takes up minimal space.  

Our over-seksed culture has a tolerance to a wide range of moral levels including the extremes, however the majority of people including this person do not want to see nekid strangers either in the wilderness where passing hikers are common, down at public beaches, or about our urban public places. In 1972 California courts declared nudity on isolated beaches was not lewd.  Consequently there are a number of known clothing optional beaches though at times some are closed due to inappropriate behaviors.  Public nudity had been allowed out in the open in San Francisco since 1970 until recently when some of the more extreme became too gross out on public streets and outdoor cafes to others that they finally pulled the plug.

--------------
...David

http://davidsenesac.com
 Post Number: 16
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love water.
I love being naked.

But because I am built like a Greek statue, I try not swim naked. It would excite too many women and create a twerking situation that would not suitable for any environment.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 17
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know that Europeans do have different standards here. Uncorroborated rumors say that one of the main reasons that the Upper pool at Zion NP was closed to swimming and wading was due to tourists from Europe, especially one country that shall remain nameless,  (Achtung!) seeing no issue with either skinny dipping or swimming using transparent when wet undies, regardless of the size of the crowd at the pool. Before you blame Utah prudes, remember this was NPS rangers.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 18
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yah, I've been skinny dipping (nude swimming) many times this summer. And I stay in the water quite a while.

It seems I inadvertently shoot the moon (slightly below the surface) to a low flying helicopter once in a while. I know I did at least once this summer. That will teach them to maintain altitude in wilderness areas — or maybe not, I don't know.

Way off trail, by the way. No one ever around.

"Shoot the moon": I think that is skjuta månen in Swedish. :D

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness MapsRocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
 Post Number: 19
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Swimming in the backcountry regularly is a new thing form me since moving to California - the lakes and streams were always too cold in the Rockies. I think swimming naked is convenient and makes sense, but I try to be discreet so I don't get put on the sex offender list. I see naked swimmers in the backcountry regularly, but that is still less than half of the people I see swimming.
 Post Number: 20
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think most Americans are more prudish than most Europeans.
 Post Number: 21
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I walked thru a nude beach last summer and decided I wanted to strip naked and take a dip. It was fantastic!! When was the last time you swam b@!!$ - @$$ naked in the ocean at 4 in the afternoon?  My wife couldn't believe what I was doing... I felt liberated after swimming naked in the Atlantic. Heck when I was younger we used to go pool hopping (naked) during the night in the condo swimming pools...Hehehee

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 22
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 4:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think a big part here in the US is location. If you are on a lake near a road, picnic area or area of high use, probably inappropriate because of both law and culture.

Isolate backcountry lake or stream, shouldn't be a big deal. Keep in mind though our different states have different laws and tolerances.

Personaly, I agree with old zeke and take the approach that as a culture we should get over the whole nudity freak-out. Sex and nudity are not one and the same except for cultural perceptions. But, I live here with a bunch of prudes.
 Post Number: 23
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wouldn't try it in a developed site as that is usually illegal.   In the backcountry I swim in my bra/undies - helps get them clean as well.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 24
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I multitask.  Swim and laundry at the same time.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I swim with my clothes on. The blackflies would drain a gallon of blood if I stripped, and our local pixies have been known to steal shed clothing.

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 26
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I treat every camp site as if I own it, and bathe each day.  So chances are if your are nearby, you will see me naked.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 27
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Sep. 12 2013, 5:06 pm)
I treat every camp site as if I own it, and bathe each day.  So chances are if your are nearby, you will see me naked.

Ben

Please send photo so I can ascertain whether I want to share your campsite.

Thank you.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 28
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Sep. 12 2013, 4:28 pm)

(frihauf @ Sep. 12 2013, 5:06 pm)

Ben

Please send photo so I can ascertain whether I want to share your campsite.

Thank you.

Please send me no such photo.

Thank you.
 Post Number: 29
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not fond of clothes, very fond of water, and am incapable of caring what others think about nekkid self.

That the sight of my nekkid self may leave them with unendurable psychologic scars is for them to cope with.  A little pain is good for personal growth.
 Post Number: 30
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

So Spindle, wanna go hiking?

:D

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
65 replies since Sep. 12 2013, 6:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Swimming naked?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions