2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Heavy rain in Boulder< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:38 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just saw a weather report on this morning's news. It said every building on campus was flooded. Is that common this time of the year?

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt every building on campus if flooded, but several are.  Many roads in and around Boulder and Estes Park are closed.  The University of Colorado is Closed.  Boulder Gvt offices are closed, Boulder Valley Schools are closed, it's a mess.

And it's not just Boulder.  A lot of streets and highways around Denver are flooded and impassible.

I'm hearing this may be a 100 year flood.
 Post Number: 3
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There was a big flood in Denver back in the 60s.  Maybe it's just a 50 year flood.

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
Echo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

just saw this in an article on Yahoo

(Reuters) - Flash flooding in Boulder, Colorado, has left at least one person dead, prompted widespread evacuations and caused an unknown number of structural collapses, officials said on Thursday.

Up to 4 inches of additional rain is expected on Thursday, exacerbating already "extremely dangerous" conditions, said Andrew Barth, a Boulder County Office of Emergency Management spokesman.

"There is water everywhere," Barth said. "We've had several structural collapses, there's mud and muck and debris everywhere. Cars are stranded all over the place."

http://news.yahoo.com/least-o....32.html

getting the same kind of stories from family around Billings MT and this is a story of an 89 year old who had to swim out of his house there
http://billingsgazette.com/news....86.html

--------------
If Light is in your heart, you will find your way Home. (Rumi)

The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water, but to walk on the earth.  Chinese proverb

http://echo-echosvoice.blogspot.com/

http://duffybarkley.blogspot.com/
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also heard this on NPR.  CU said that some student housing had been evacuated--I'm guessing it's family student housing, as that is by the creek.  Hope everyone is okay--GoBlue, you still out there?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Weather Channel is all about the flooding in Bolder.  They are showing a considerable amount of damage due to the flooding.

Hope all are safe and dry.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stay safe Rem, Blue, Snowpeak...

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Break out the Packraft, Blue!

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9
spindle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A spokeswoman from the city was just on the news advising locals against using the flood waters for water sports entertainment.

Seems they are having a problem with the locals that way.  :D
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(spindle @ Sep. 12 2013, 9:42 am)
A spokeswoman from the city was just on the news advising locals against using the flood waters for water sports entertainment.

Seems they are having a problem with the locals that way.  :D

On CNN-HLN, they filmed one student trying to find rapid water to float his inner tube.  Taking the Mountain Dew commercials a bit too seriously, so there is a basis for this warning.

They also broadcasted a live water rescue, but there's a line of showers going up central New Mexico into Northern Colorado for the next few days -- some cities and towns are getting their flood controls tested throughout the weekend!!!

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
Hungry Jack Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Latest I heard was 3 dead in the area. 6" of rain in 24 hours, with more to come.

--------------
Summon the Minions!
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

9" here in Boulder so far since last night. 3-4 more inches expected today, very locally variable.  We didn't personally have to evacuate last night, but most the rest of University Family Housing had to, including the apartment we just moved from.  We got a lot of emergency messages last night, with the flood sirens at the creek nearby firing off late last night.  The University is closed all day today and tomorrow, so I have no work at the moment.

We're fine though. I got some pictures this morning, will prolly post them later.

ETA: And HJ is right, news says 3 dead so far.  And Spindle & SW are right too, there were moron undergrads sitting in the water with innertubes last night. Nothing like being 19 y.o. and invincible.  Oy.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to hear you and your's are OK.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hope all of you up that way stay safe!

This has been a crazy summer weather-wise. It started out hot and dry with several big fires. July was wet and cooler; August had significant rains, and now September is starting out wet. We need the rain, just not so much of it at one time, please.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just got an emergency txt that a wall of water is coming down Boulder Creek from Left-Hand canyon. Sirens are all going off. We're bugging out now, gonna go to Barbara's work for awhile, just in case.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 16
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Sep. 12 2013, 10:07 am)
There was a big flood in Denver back in the 60s.  Maybe it's just a 50 year flood.

Rumi

Bridges are often constructed to 100-year storm levels. They're a good "measuring stick".

Stay safe everyone. Is this gonna affect the Pickle Gulch area?

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 17
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live on "the hill" -all is good here. Had an emergency at the herbarium last night, but no specimens got damaged! Going in to assess my professor's offices and what-not soon. The texts, sirens, and loudspeaker messages are starting up again.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WalksWithBlackflies @ Sep. 12 2013, 1:49 pm)

(RumiDude @ Sep. 12 2013, 10:07 am)

Rumi

Bridges are often constructed to 100-year storm levels. They're a good "measuring stick".

Stay safe everyone. Is this gonna affect the Pickle Gulch area?

Could be. The mountains are devastated. People stranded, rivers everywhere, cars and houses washed away -and so on.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 19
Roger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 2:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Problem is we are seeing "100 year storms" a lot more often.  It was announce that Bolder had the highest 24 hour rain on record. Also reported that 25% of the building on campus have some sort of water damage from very minor to ???.

I hope those with water damage have flood insurance.  This storm could be financially devastating to many in the area if they are uninsured.

--------------
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
 Post Number: 20
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody heard from Snowpeak yet?  I can't get on Facebook at school to tell.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 2:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SnowPeak is apparently safe at work on the highest point in Thornton.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She just posted this photo, actually:

--------------
 Post Number: 23
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey, that road crossed the double yellow line!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 24
mtngrl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hang in there Boulderits!  As of this morning, we in Colo. Springs, had one dead.  Fountian Creek was as high at 24 feet, and Bear Creek, which is usually only about 1 foot deep, if that, was up past 6 feet deep.  I went through a puddle on the way to work that was up to my Xterra's footboards.

--------------
”Every tree was dripping and the creeks had swollen. It occurred to me that I had achieved a rare thing: I was living at the center of my heart’s geography. And I knew it.”- Bryce Andrews, Badluck Way
 Post Number: 25
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Watch that water, mtngrl!  All of you out there, stay safe.

Which canyon is that picture from?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 26
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, looks like what we had in NY and Vermont 2 yrs ago with Irene. Hope everyone is safe.
 Post Number: 27
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Peak to Peak Highway was the caption

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 4:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few pics from Boulder Creek at 30th Street, a half-block from our place in Boulder.  Creek was running about 1800 cfs here, after cresting a couple feet higher at 3200 cfs earlier this morning.  It's normally 50-100 cfs this time of year.  It's supposed to get higher again soon (if not already) when Left-Hand Canyon and several of the other drainages further up the canyon propagate through town.

Anyway, we're personally just fine and should stay that way.  Hopefully we'll be able to get back to our place tonight, which we should as long as the water doesn't rise too much more.

Normally you can walk the creek path under 30th street with about 10' clearance.  Not now.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Last Friday or was it Thursday, we got a real gully washer.  1.37 inches in 45 minutes.  Caused a lot of minor flooding on roads and streets and filled a lot a basements with water around here.  But nothing too serious.  Mostly an inconvenience, but it was something to see sheets of water come down that heavily.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 30
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 5:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Longmont is split in half by St Vrain Creek. All roads that cross it are closed. We can't get to the north of the creek and they get to the south.

My work was also closed today. Will have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.  

The emergency crews are using Nelson Rd as the North border and has been filtering evacuee traffic up to there which runs into 119 which is closed on the East side of Longmont. Combine this with power outages and non-working stop lights and it's quite the cluster.

The St Vrain River is pretty angry running through town today.

More rain forecast for tonight.
169 replies since Sep. 12 2013, 9:38 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Heavy rain in Boulder
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions