2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: America's Cup? Nobody?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 6:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The America's Cup is happening in San Francisco; I was visiting family there last week and saw one of the races on TV, found it instantly fascinating!

Team New Zealand has a big lead over the US team (Oracle), but today the US team had a great win over the Kiwis to keep hope alive.

If, like me, you have no idea what this is all about, take a look at tgis few minutes of hilights from todays race: America's Cup

Wath as these huge boats turn tight corners abd fly down the course at 40mph! It's really cool.

--------------
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Crap, I forgot to watch today…got tied up in a meeting

I use the term “watch" pretty loosely.   They have the actual live broadcast locked down pretty tightly.
I can view live action with their ‘virtual eye’  at home (which is actually pretty neat), but not here at work.  From work, all I can do is monitor tweets.

Good to know the Yanks pulled one in, I was pretty sure the Kiwis were going to end it today.
I’ll watch the replay on YouTube tonight…thanks for the spoiler.

Yeah, those ‘flying cats’ are AMAZING to watch !

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 3
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally wow. While I'm annoyed the Kiwi introduction of the hydrofoil innovation gave them an experience and boat design lead that no one has been able to overcome those boats sure make for an exciting spectacle! Unlike conventional catamarans those things can turn on a dime and when done by a skilled crew they don't drop off the foil so the speed of the turn is astounding. But in any case something 135 feet tall and 72 feet long going at fifty miles an hour is quite astounding.

I hope next time around New Zealand rethinks they're thoughts that they would specify AC45s (smaller than the AC72s and unfoiled) to to provide a more affordable boat to up the number of contestants which for SF was a lot lower than anticipated.

The tech is cool as well: there's an app so you can hear the commentary while watching live telemetry of the boats with a tiltable real time display of the boats and course.  As well as an archive of the previous races with video.

I'd heartily second checking out the videos at least, they've been posting to YouTube since the preliminaries so there's lots of spectacular footage. And it ain't over yet! The Oracle crew has shown they're learning, but the deficit is a big one....

I've been dvr'ing the races, they're broadcast on NBCs sports channel.
 Post Number: 4
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just watched the replay
That was a great race.  Even the start was even cool

Beating into the wind at 30 kts
I need to learn how to do that

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 5
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Sep. 19 2013, 6:52 pm)
The America's Cup is happening in San Francisco; I was visiting family there last week and saw one of the races on TV, found it instantly fascinating!

Team New Zealand has a big lead over the US team (Oracle), but today the US team had a great win over the Kiwis to keep hope alive.

If, like me, you have no idea what this is all about, take a look at tgis few minutes of hilights from todays race: America's Cup

Wath as these huge boats turn tight corners abd fly down the course at 40mph! It's really cool.

Nope, nobody. We're all still anxiously awaiting the forum software switch, and are thus way too preoccupied with the future switch to monitor current events.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been curious about it, but not enough to seek out news.  I'd love to see video of the boats in action from a suitable vantage point.
 Post Number: 7
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 19 2013, 8:09 pm)
I've been curious about it, but not enough to seek out news.  I'd love to see video of the boats in action from a suitable vantage point.

http://www.youtube.com/results....3-pmWTA

Amazing stuff.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(obchristo @ Sep. 19 2013, 11:33 pm)

(big_load @ Sep. 19 2013, 8:09 pm)

http://www.youtube.com/results....3-pmWTA

Amazing stuff.

Totally awesome!
 Post Number: 9
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fun controversy around here.  I like real sailboats better.

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 19 2013, 9:38 pm)
Fun controversy around here.  I like real sailboats better.

They (mono hulls) do offer superior beer storage.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Apart from the speed, what really amazes me is how structurally rigid the boats are, and how taut they pull the sails.  That's astounding considering the huge forces involved, and the extremely lightweight materials used.  I wonder how much margin they have.  (Probably less than I'd use if I paid that much for a boat).
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 4:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Sep. 19 2013, 10:22 pm)
Apart from the speed, what really amazes me is how structurally rigid the boats are, and how taut they pull the sails.  That's astounding considering the huge forces involved, and the extremely lightweight materials used.  I wonder how much margin they have.  (Probably less than I'd use if I paid that much for a boat).

The mainsail isn't actually a sail, it's a rigid wing with some provision for shaping, the only normal sail on them are the fore sails.

Quite amazing tech.

http://www.cupinfo.com/en/americas-cup-2013-boats-ac72-ac45.php
 Post Number: 13
frmertd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 7:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard on tv it was cancelled one day because the winds were greater than 20knots. That was "not safe for the boats." Pleeeeze. If your boat disintegrates in 20 knot winds, its not a ship. Does anyone remember the movie "Master and Commander"? Remember when they are chasing the french ship around Cape Horn? Now those were ships!
 Post Number: 14
Raznation Search for posts by this member.
Why surf when you can make waves!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 7:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its all but over with but the crying and blaming.

I dont think the hydrofoil was any type of cheat, it was just a interpretation of the rules.

Wasnt it the Kiwis or Aussie who showed up with a 'out of the box' design when they won their first cup?

So it doesnt surprise me that they are that good.

Afterall, the Kiwis do nothing but go sailing......and raising sheep but we wont go there.

Props to them and take care of the cup, we will come for it.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frmertd @ Sep. 20 2013, 5:10 am)
I heard on tv it was cancelled one day because the winds were greater than 20knots. That was "not safe for the boats." Pleeeeze.

Actually, the wind speed limits were imposed following the Swedish team’s crash lay May that killed one of the crew members.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 16
obchristo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Sep. 20 2013, 6:36 am)

I heard on tv it was cancelled one day because the winds were greater than 20knots. That was "not safe for the boats." Pleeeeze.

Actually, the wind speed limits were imposed following the Swedish team’s crash lay May that killed one of the crew members.

Look at the other equivelents:

Auto Races can get canecelled by rain.

Ski Races can get cancelled by fog.

Football games can get cancelled by lightning.

Those boats are designed for speed- not transoceanic voyages. Oracle wanted to raise the max wind threshold- but got denied.

Actually, an old America's cup rule was that the challenger had to sail their boat from their home country. This gave the defender (U.S) and enormous advantage as their boat did not have to be built as heavy.

--------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Knowledge is the one thing you can aways carry more of- and not increase pack weight!!!!
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, AND they had to use national materials so: "No Hood Sails for YOU!", when back in the day Hood was the sailmaker.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(obchristo @ Sep. 20 2013, 11:48 am)

(red dog @ Sep. 20 2013, 6:36 am)

Look at the other equivelents:

Auto Races can get canecelled by rain.

Ski Races can get cancelled by fog.

Football games can get cancelled by lightning.

Those boats are designed for speed- not transoceanic voyages. Oracle wanted to raise the max wind threshold- but got denied.

Actually, an old America's cup rule was that the challenger had to sail their boat from their home country. This gave the defender (U.S) and enormous advantage as their boat did not have to be built as heavy.

Plus, those boats can probably approach hydroplane speeds in a good wind.  They're practically frictionless when they're up on their foils.
 Post Number: 19
Outamatches Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was out there this summer and got to watch one of them practicing. I was impressed by how fast they can go from standing still to full speed. I would have loved to be there for one of the races.

--------------
"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden itself"
Oscar Wilde
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Race is on!
The app is featuring on board mikes as well as commentary.
 Post Number: 21
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Race abandoned...40 minute limit exceeded
whew...Oracle was getting dusted
I'll bet the Kiwis are angry

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 22
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Re-do of race 13: Oracle win > 1 min 24 sec

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 20 2013, 11:38 am)
Yep, AND they had to use national materials so: "No Hood Sails for YOU!", when back in the day Hood was the sailmaker.

Hood?

Pffft! I spit on your grave!

North Sails or nothing!

Or if youre a cheapobastord, there is always Lee Sails.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Raznation @ Sep. 20 2013, 3:45 pm)

Hood?

North Sails or nothing!

"Back in the day" when Lowell was still dreaming of draperies  and Ted Hood was making sails for racing sailors and the Twelve Meters ruled the Cup.

But I'm never going to dismiss a San Diegan :)
 Post Number: 25
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Race 14 Oracle/USA
It ain't over (yet)

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Sep. 20 2013, 9:55 pm)

(Raznation @ Sep. 20 2013, 3:45 pm)

Hood?

North Sails or nothing!

"Back in the day" when Lowell was still dreaming of draperies  and Ted Hood was making sails for racing sailors and the Twelve Meters ruled the Cup.

But I'm never going to dismiss a San Diegan :)

LoL, you kill me.  :;):

Im still hurting over that $10k price tag for that new main sail that I had to buy.

I couldnt find a good used one that didnt need to be cut down so I had to just bite the bullet.

Full batten, three reefs......loved it.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
bp2go Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UPDATE: Oracle just won first race today by 30 seconds. Race 2 i in question due to time limits.

This is pretty cool.

--------------
 Post Number: 28
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No more racing today
Gotta wait until tomorrow to see if Oracle can keep the streak going
3 more and we get to keep the cup...Kiwi's only need one

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bp2go @ Sep. 23 2013, 2:22 pm)
UPDATE: Oracle just won first race today by 30 seconds. Race 2 i in question due to time limits.

This is pretty cool.

With the thumping NZ gave everyone in the Louis Vuitton Cup challenger series the competitiveness of the main event has been a nice surprise.

I still don't get why the penalty for a series that, from what I can tell, had little to nothing to do with the Cup defense fell with such a heavy penalty on Oracle USA. The "World Series" in AC 45s was a demonstration event: it's not like the defender was being selected. So how did an offense committed then spill over to put Oracle in a two point hole?

A hole, against all odds, they may, just may dig themselves out of...

A wire to wire win? Spithill might just be getting inside Barker's head... good fun.
 Post Number: 30
TehipiteTom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Had to come in to the office yesterday, so I stuck around to watch the first race. One time I was glad to be in on the weekend; 28th floor gives a pretty good perspective...

--------------
Conservatives are the whiniest whiners in the wholy whiny history of whiny-ass whinerdom.
66 replies since Sep. 19 2013, 6:52 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply America's Cup? Nobody?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions