2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Seed ticks< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 4:04 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got into these while mountain biking on Tuesday evening. Here's 80 or so of them:

I had never knowingly had a "seed tick" on me, or even heard of them until a few days ago while reading an online review of bike trails at the state park(Fall Creek Falls in TN) I rode at this week. I thought they were talking about deer ticks, but these are much smaller.

Here is an article I found online:
http://wildjournal.org/seed-ticks/

Anyway, I was wearing shorts, and had sprayed my legs with Deep Woods OFF. There were no ticks on my legs where I'd sprayed, only under my socks.

Wednesday, I sprayed my ankles before putting on my socks, then hosed down my socks along with my lower legs. Zero seed ticks.
No way of knowing if I actually got into them again on day 2, but DEET seems to work.

The linked article says to use tape or a knife(?) to remove them. I found that they didn't wipe off with my hand at first, but did after being covered with some liquid hand soap(Germ-X). They also came off my other leg with the Clorox wipes I decided to try on them.

I've been going in the woods off and on since I was barely able to walk, and I'm 42yrs old, but this was a new one for me.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nasty vermin.  Permethrin is your friend.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 3
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never heard of them before

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 4
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 8:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You ran into these out there.
http://youtu.be/1F24ABEMdhg

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 5
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I got into a bunch of those several years ago on the Pinhoti near Pine Glen. They're no fun. I now treat the tops of my hiking socks with permethrin during bug season.

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
 Post Number: 6
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i was solo in Big South Fork, about five miles from the road at sunset when i discovered what seemed like hundreds of these suckers on my legs.... ruined my trip to say the least.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 7
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 11:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Geeze. I'm glad I live in the desert.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mrs. big_load and I once accumulated a couple jillion of those near the Arkansas-Missouri border.
 Post Number: 9
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I lived in Arkansas, those things scared me worse than the snakes

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 12:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeeze, always something.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the outside of my left ankle this morning, which was the one I cleaned first, Tuesday. I couldn't see them as well on the outsides, but figured I'd gotten them all between scrubbing with the Germ-X and my sock, plus going back over with a wipe. Maybe I was just too late. Anyway, looks like I got a few dozen bites out of the deal. Very itchy. Instant relief from wiping with Witch Hazel, but I'll probably be carrying the bottle with me to work on a double shift this evening/night just in case.
 Post Number: 12
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 1:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Sep. 19 2013, 10:09 am)
When I lived in Arkansas, those things scared me worse than the snakes

I kept free range chickens on my place in NW AR to keep the tick population down. Even so they were everywhere.

Ticks and chiggers.... scourge of the SE.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
11 replies since Sep. 19 2013, 4:04 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Seed ticks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions