2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: REI vs LL Bean Return Policy, NPR Morning Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RumiDude Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just thought I would post this since we have talked, well argued really, about it more than a couple times.

REI vs LL Bean Return Policy

Rumi

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can we return you?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Marmotstew @ Sep. 25 2013, 9:18 am)
Can we return you?

Did you buy me?

Rumi    <~~~~~~~cheaply made

--------------
“This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all.”
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty much explains why I very often buy at REI, and never buy at L.L.Bean.

I like the more common sense, realistic and cost effective policy that has been adopted by REI.  Pay attention and take action when gamers start to subvert a good policy.  

I find a one year test period to be plenty, and I like getting a little bigger dividend check.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I caught this piece today, too.  I thought it was interesting that they said the LLBean does much more of it's business mail-order, which reduces returns.  I thought REI did a lot that way, too--but it's true that they have much more on-the-ground presence, at least out here in the West.  For whatever reason, LLBean has (presumably) done their research and found that the good will and good press from the policy outweighs the costs from those who game it, like the woman with her eternal backpack.  REI did the same, and got a different answer.  Maybe that also has to do with the kind of stuff they sell, and whom to?

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 25 2013, 9:42 am)
For whatever reason, LLBean has (presumably) done their research and found that the good will and good press from the policy outweighs the costs from those who game it, like the woman with her eternal backpack.  REI did the same, and got a different answer.  Maybe that also has to do with the kind of stuff they sell, and whom to?

Exactly!  LL Bean is really not seen much out on the trail.  I see LL Bean as more casual/lifestyle stuff.  Certainly their gear selection is very limited.  

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still, both great companies IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
hbfa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RebeccaD @ Sep. 25 2013, 9:42 am)
 REI did the same, and got a different answer.  Maybe that also has to do with the kind of stuff they sell, and whom to?

+1
I think REI found out the hard way from years of some folks misusing their liberal return policy.

REI's revised policy makes a lot of sense.
 Post Number: 9
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The one year policy means I can get new gear more frequently.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 10
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 25 2013, 7:17 pm)

I might have let them keep my money for 5 or 10 years before returning it to me - now they'll have to do that every 11 months and 30 days.  Will they never learn?
 Post Number: 11
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eddie Bauer also has a nice return policy I believe though I have never tested it, much less for heavily used/damaged stuff:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?sectionId=240
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Sep. 25 2013, 4:46 pm)

I might have let them keep my money for 5 or 10 years before returning it to me - now they'll have to do that every 11 months and 30 days.  Will they never learn?

Hey, whatever works for you - no conscience, no guilt.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 4:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hbfa @ Sep. 26 2013, 2:14 pm)

Hey, evil corporation that is big enough to make its needed profits off of credit cards, don't give a single crap. Not even a mouse turd.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 26 2013, 1:45 pm)

Hey, evil corporation that is big enough to make its needed profits off of credit cards, don't give a single crap. Not even a mouse turd.

What's the difference between an evil corporation and an evil person?

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you suggesting that returning items makes one evil? I buy/have bought enough junk from that overpriced craphole so as to have given them plenty of profit.

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 26 2013, 6:30 pm)
Are you suggesting that returning items makes one evil? I buy/have bought enough junk from that overpriced craphole so as to have given them plenty of profit.

Are you suggesting operating a business for profit is evil?

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 17
theo Search for posts by this member.
Error 420

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 26 2013, 8:30 pm)

And yet, you kept coming back.
 Post Number: 18
CajunHiker Search for posts by this member.
GEAUX TIGERS!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 11:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a school backpack for PB two summers ago, and this year one of the straps came unstitched from the main part of the pack.  The rest of the backpack is in good shape.  I called LL Bean and asked if this was covered by their guarantee and was told that a backpack should last longer than two years.  But since it's been more than two years, they're giving my store credit rather than a refund -- in the meantime, the new backpack we ordered was delivered and should last for a long time.  I love LL Bean for backpacks and school clothes, and this is the first time ever that I've had any problem at all with a product.  I was very pleased with the customer service.

--------------
"Mardi Gras is the love of life. It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living. All at once." - Chris Rose
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 26 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just as a clarification, REI's new one year limit on returns applies only to the satisfaction guarantee, not defects in the product itself.  So if after three years you decide the tent is too small for you, you are SOL. But if the tent seem splits, REI will give you store credit.  

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 20
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 9:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought a primaloft jacket from LL bean and its great.  I was contemplating between a new windproof fleece or something else, ordered both, free shipping, and paid to ship the fleece back.  Not a bad deal.  I have never returned anything to REI.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many boutique shops have been put out of business by REI?

Just sayin'...

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Paul's Boutique shop.

I'm gonna send you an REI gift certificate for Christmas. Will you return it?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 27 2013, 9:26 am)

Just sayin'...

Put out of business?  That is laughable in light of your claim that REI is overpriced.  As far as I know, REI has never engaged in the types of predatory practices designed to drive bouytique shops out of business.  As a matter of fact, Feathered Friends, a boutique store and gear maker sits less than 100 yards from the front door of REI Flagship store in Seattle and yet seems to thrive.

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the real issue here is why would someone choose the word "boutique"? Didn't they use that word when scurvy was the new trend? I would have
more respect if you would of at least used haberdashery.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 26 2013, 1:45 pm)

Hey....justify it in your mind any way you see fit.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Sep. 27 2013, 12:37 pm)

Just sayin'...

Put out of business?  That is laughable in light of your claim that REI is overpriced.  As far as I know, REI has never engaged in the types of predatory practices designed to drive bouytique shops out of business.  As a matter of fact, Feathered Friends, a boutique store and gear maker sits less than 100 yards from the front door of REI Flagship store in Seattle and yet seems to thrive.

Rumi

Does it have to be predatory to happen?

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 2:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 27 2013, 10:59 am)

Just sayin'...

Rumi

Well if you want to apply the word "Evil" to them then, yes,

There are a lot of boutique gear stores in Seattle and they do just fine despite REI being around every corner.  The presence of REI actually helps small boutique gear stores because it attracts people via foot traffic.  

Rumi

--------------
 Post Number: 28
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 26 2013, 4:45 pm)

REI is using their "if not fully satisfied" return policy, even the time limited one, to promote sales.

When you buy something from REI you are paying for that return policy.

conscious and guilt has no part in using something you paid for.

If REI stops using the "if not fully satisfied" return policy to get me to buy stuff from them, then I'll stop returning stuff with which I'm not fully satisfied.  Until then I paid for that right when I bought from them, and I'll use that right as I please.  

Perhaps some people feel guilty about using what they pay for, but I don't.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

:D
So Nogods, you just happen to become dissatisfied at 11 months and 30 days?

Horse pucky!
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RumiDude @ Sep. 27 2013, 2:56 pm)

(Reminiscence @ Sep. 27 2013, 10:59 am)

Just sayin'...

Rumi

Well if you want to apply the word "Evil" to them then, yes,

There are a lot of boutique gear stores in Seattle and they do just fine despite REI being around every corner.  The presence of REI actually helps small boutique gear stores because it attracts people via foot traffic.  

Rumi

"The presence of REI actually helps small boutique gear stores because it attracts people via foot traffic."

What?

--------------
104 replies since Sep. 25 2013, 12:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply REI vs LL Bean Return Policy
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions