2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Nothing outdoors but holy crapola...!, No way else to say it.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 8:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know what anyone else thinks but "brand new" old cars?

Vintage Car Auction Will Sell Off Low-Mileage Gems
Some cars in this weekend's auction have less than 20 miles on the odometer

The two-day auction will feature mostly unsold Chevrolets that have sat untouched for decades. They'll go on the block in as-is condition. About 50 have fewer than 20 miles on the odometer, and some are so rare that no one has established a price.
....The two least-driven cars, a 1959 Bel Air and a 1960 Corvair Monza, each have one mile on their odometer. The oldest vehicle with fewer than 20 miles dates to 1958; the newest is a 1980 Monza with nine miles....
.... In the corner sat the sky-blue 1958 Cameo with 1.3 miles....
....a red-and-white 1963 Impala waits with 11.4 miles logged. Manufacturer's plastic covers the seats. The car was never titled. A yellowed, typewritten window sticker touts its original price: $3,254.70.....

http://autos.aol.com/article....D383396

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 28 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes me want to take a trip to Nebraska and take a look. But seriously, I'd rather have an old car that was driven once in a while than rarely driven for decades.

Some parts, such as seals, require driving to stay lubricated and kept from cracking. It would be better to have 2000 miles from regular driving than less than 20 in long-term storage.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
Webpages — Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps — Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos — Bighorn Mountains — Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 6:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

True as far as it goes and an entire car's seals, tires, etc will need to be replaced but cars that old with almost 0 miles are essentially priceless because  they literally are one of a kind and there never will be any others.

--------------

Post Number: 4
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There appears to be a list of all the vehicles at the auctioneer's website (PDF file).

And then several videos showing the cars at YouTube.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 5
Wailer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing outdoors but holy crapola...!

Not true!

The rest of the cars sat under trees at a nearby farm the Lambrechts owned, in the company of trade-in vehicles he didn't want to resell. Years passed, and trees started to poke through fenders and rusted pickup beds. The dealership's longtime mechanic lived on the farm, but when he died, his family moved away. Vandals and thieves pounced.

:p

Very cool - I'm from Nebraska originally, curious to hear if anyone I know went to check it out!
 Post Number: 6
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yesterday, some of the higher prices according to this article:
    The biggest ticket item: A 1958 sky blue Chevy Camaro with a mere 1.3 miles on its odometer. The vintage vehicle sold for $140,000. A red-and-white 1963 Impala sold for an impressive $97,500 — well above its suggested retail price of $3,254.70, still visible on a window sticker.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 7
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some of those low mile vehicles were in pretty rough shape.  It would have been a very exciting sale indeed if the auction would have taken place a few decades ago, before the cars lost so much sheen.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(llamapacker @ Sep. 29 2013, 5:06 pm)
Some of those low mile vehicles were in pretty rough shape.  It would have been a very exciting sale indeed if the auction would have taken place a few decades ago, before the cars lost so much sheen.

Ummm... "a few decades ago" they would have been almost new....  :cool:

--------------

Post Number: 9
IAJeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 10:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Sep. 29 2013, 4:36 pm)
    The biggest ticket item: A 1958 sky blue Chevy Camaro with a mere 1.3 miles on its odometer. The vintage vehicle sold for $140,000. A red-and-white 1963 Impala sold for an impressive $97,500 — well above its suggested retail price of $3,254.70, still visible on a window sticker.

It was a Chevy Cameo not Camaro. It was a pickup.

The wife was this hometown and new some of the family. Guess it was pretty crazy there.
 Post Number: 10
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 10:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(IAJeff @ Sep. 29 2013, 8:11 pm)

It was a Chevy Cameo not Camaro. It was a pickup.

The wife was this hometown and new some of the family. Guess it was pretty crazy there.

Evidently it was a typo error at that website, then — kind of like the two typos you made in this one sentence: "The wife was this hometown and new some of the family."

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 11
KenV Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 5:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wait, what?  A 1958 Chevy Camaro?  There's no such thing.  The Camaro was Chevy's reponse to Ford's Mustang and the first Camaro was built in late '66 for the '67 model year.

The Chevy El Camino was built starting with the 1959 model year in response to Ford's Ranchero.  Could that be what this is, a '59 model year El Camino built in '58?  But the El Camino had a pick up body on a sedan chassis.  Very different than a Camaro.

EDIT:  Aaah, I see it was a Cameo.  Should have read further down the thread.  I forgot all about the fiberglass fendered Cameo pick ups.
 Post Number: 12
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 6:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes best to read the entire thread.

--------------
Location — Wyoming
 Post Number: 13
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisNWood @ Sep. 30 2013, 3:40 am)
Sometimes best to read the entire thread.

Yep. Nothing worse than repeating info.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
12 replies since Sep. 28 2013, 8:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Nothing outdoors but holy crapola...!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions